The Student Room Group

Are the Tories really dead in Scotland, are the SNP socalist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L i b
I'm sure you'll be happy to clarify why disliking someone from another country is not racist...

'English' is not a race. Just like 'Scottish' is not a race.
Original post by Zander01
'English' is not a race. Just like 'Scottish' is not a race.

Whatever you call it it is discriminatory.
Original post by Midlander
Whatever you call it it is discriminatory.

What is discriminatory?
Sorry, Im not going to argue with someone who is mentally handicapped.

Until you can provide solid evidence of racism then I will reply.

The group 'Scottish Resistance' which has been telling Miliband to **** off back to England, 'Settler Watch' which keeps tabs on English 'immigration', etc etc.
Original post by NormiesOut
Go to Scotland and talk about England

I do often. Some of relatives are SNP others are LAB.
No one has give me grief for being South London-ish...

I certainly think the SNP are past their sell by date, but racist, no more then anyone one else (by which I mean take a crowd of 10,000 people and an SNP average will be about the same as UKIP or CON or LAB - you'll certainly find them if you're looking but no more then average).
(edited 8 years ago)
The group 'Scottish Resistance' which has been telling Miliband to **** off back to England, 'Settler Watch' which keeps tabs on English 'immigration', etc etc.

So a few nutjobs (no more than a few hundred) represent a nation of 5 million? Hmm interesting. By than token, the whole of England must hate muslims. After all, do they not have groups such as the BNP and EDL?
Good to see people voting for his ego and publicity rather than what is best for the constituency. Of course you also have idiots like one of the posters in this thread who doesn't support independence but will vote SNP.

How thick are some of the electorate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's nationalism for you.

It'll die down eventually, though. The real question is, will Scotland leave the union before this happens?

With the way things are going I won't be surprised if it happens in my lifetime.
So a few nutjobs (no more than a few hundred) represent a nation of 5 million? Hmm interesting. By than token, the whole of England must hate muslims. After all, do they not have groups such as the BNP and EDL?

How about Sturgeon saying she didn't want floods of English students coming across the border to take Scottish uni places. How about the SNP pointing to life expectancies in SE England and comparing it to Glasgow when Glasgow itself has enormous discrepancies. How about Alex Salmond vowing to bring an end to English Toryism. How about the people spraying 'Quisling' on Tory offices.

How about you accept that Anglophobia is an intrinsic part of the independence movement and the SNP never stops it and never takes responsibility.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack
That's nationalism for you.

It'll die down eventually, though. The real question is, will Scotland leave the union before this happens?

With the way things are going I won't be surprised if it happens in my lifetime.

I will be long gone back to England by the time that happens. Sick of these ungrateful sods complaining that there is some conspiracy out to get Scotland when Scotland gets the best deal out of anywhere in Britain.

When it all goes tits up the evil UK won't seem so bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecksalmond
I assume you mean independence.

What about the positives such as wanting to stop 100,000 kids falling into poverty in the next 5 years. Getting rid of nukes. Ending fracking, saving the NHS, free uni education, free prescriptions. All these are to benefit scotland and the people that live here. What's not to agree with

Enjoy your Northern European North Korea.
How about Sturgeon saying she didn't want floods of English students coming across the border to take Scottish uni places

Which is perfectly reasonable, as she quite rightly said; not charging students from other parts of the UK risked crowding our own students are. Not to mention it is not solely discriminatory to the English so that fails as an example of the anti-english establishment unless you want to argue that Scotland and the SNP hate the rest of the UK just as much?

How about the SNP pointing to life expectancies in SE England and comparing it to Glasgow when Glasgow itself has enormous discrepancies.

How is this in any way anglophobic?

How about Alex Salmond vowing to bring an end to English Toryism. How about the people spraying 'Quisling' on Tory offices.

What other kind of Toryism is there? Scotland is completely at the mercy of English voting parties. This is still not an indication of anglophobia.

Neither is the spraying of 'Q' on a Tory office. Anti Tory =/= Anti-english. I don't know how you're getting confused by this.

How about you accept that Anglophobia is an intrinsic part of the independence movement and the SNP never stops it and never takes responsibility.
Posted from TSR Mobile

It's funny how you have all these ready made examples of Scottish people and politicians badmouthing Westminster parties and the establishment. Yet, I don't hear a peep out of you complaining about the constant anti-SNP jibes from the media and westminster politicians. I find it funny how you aren't whinging about the fact people in england think it's undemocratic that Scotland's sole representative party should have a say in British politics.

Then again, im not really surprised. You've been banging on for ages about how nasty the Scottish are and how you live a miserable life here. I could find more 'racism' in your posts on this site than anybody else probably.
Original post by FredOrJohn
A right wing person in Scotland used to vote SNP for the same reasons people vote LIB-DEM

That's not true.

Original post by FredOrJohn
This is how I see it.
You are right wing as a person (which is to me a person who thinks "What do I get out of this" rather than "what does society as a whole get" (eg think thatcher and govt sell offs of council properties))....

Are you suggesting that people who are right wing do not think about how the government will affect society? If so, that is completely incorrect.
100,000 kids falling into poverty in the next 5 years

Becoming independent won't stop children falling into poverty.

Ending fracking

Fracking is a very useful process.

saving the NHS

Please elaborate.

free uni education, free prescriptions

Scottish individuals already get free university education in Scotland.
Scottish people are entitled to free prescriptions.
I am naturally suspicious of any form of nationalism.
Original post by Gary_92
Due to unfair constituency boundaries, the Tories are vastly underrepresented in Scotland. The one seat they do hold (David Mundell's) is a massive rural seat, extending from the Borders right up to South Lanarkshire, a council area just outside Glasgow. The SNP are certainly to the left of New Labour, and are thus very popular. Like Old Labour they are committed to "a something for nothing culture" i.e free tuition fees, free prescriptions, basically free everything, which is very attractive to the traditional Labour voters who live in the council schemes in Glasgow. Like old-fashioned Labour voters, the typical SNP voter hates the rich for being rich, and generally fights the class war ; referring to tories as "posh toffs", simply because they are jealous that they never had the opportunity of a privileged education. They usually blame someone else for their problems (usually the tories), and do not believe in individual responsibility.

Heaven forbid the underprivileged can afford medicine to keep them healthy and an education that will get them a good job. You are very good at stereotyping, aren't you?
My point is there is no justification now for discriminating against football fans based on outdated, classist stereotyping. Have you seen how wasted the Barmy Army get at cricket matches?

Football matches are expensive as flip though aren't they? It is hardly the working class's sport anymore, at like £40 a pop?
Original post by NormiesOut
The SNP is a party of racist nationalists who despise England and don't give a toss about Wales and Northern Ireland, a pathetic and selfish party appealing to the anti-English sentiment that Scots are brought up with but is never questioned because racism is okay towards English people.

You know it's pretty difficult to be racist towards your own race.
As a Scottish person, the only pro-tory people I know are English people that live up here.
I think that the conservative party is dead. I don't think that they would have been, but the way that they + the bbc handled the referendum sort of sealed the deal for them. Pro tip: don't insult your people's intelligence.

In Scotland we kind of like knowing that our post uni years wont be spent grappling with debt, that we can see a GP pretty quickly, and that they medicine they provide wont cost us.

The SNP isn't racist. They just believe that Scotland will do better without the rest of the uk, especially a uk not in Europe.

Nobody hates the English, just the "food banks are a waste of money, why is our army so small, whatever happened to the colonies, oh lordy did a peasant just touch my shoe" stereotype. Nobody actually thinks that everybody in England believes that.
Original post by laura555
As a Scottish person, the only pro-tory people I know are English people that live up here.
I think that the conservative party is dead. I don't think that they would have been, but the way that they + the bbc handled the referendum sort of sealed the deal for them.

That's not true.
Original post by laura555
Football matches are expensive as flip though aren't they? It is hardly the working class's sport anymore, at like £40 a pop?

Well yes it has been taken by the prawn sandwich brigade at the highest level. Still the legislation remains in place and it was implemented based on class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply