The Student Room Group

Work experience

I'm really really really struggling to get work experience as people just aren't relpying or I am under age! Does anyone have an suggestions?? Should I bother applying to unis that I don't meet the work experience requirements for?
Thank you:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by georgiarich437
I'm really really really struggling to get work experience as people just aren't relpying or I am under age! Does anyone have an suggestions?? Should I bother applying to unis that I don't meet the work experience requirements for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends, which unis were you thinking of applying to? And what work experience do you have/will you have?
Reply 2
I'm sure you've read The shiny work experience bible sticky thread, that has lots of helpful information :smile:

Otherwise, persistency is key.
I find with gaining placements, it can be who you know and being in the right place at the right time. I've sent countless letters and emails asking for placements which have been ignored only to speak to someone about it and they suggest their neighbour/friend/colleague who may be able to help.

How much work experience do you have and what are you struggling to find?
I wouldn't say don't bother applying if you don't meet the requirements, just make sure you meet them!
Original post by georgiarich437

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the people who aren't replying - how are you contacting them? If you are sending them a letter/e-mail then if they don't reply in a reasonable time frame I would call them up to ask about your application or, better still, go in person if you can.

As for the under aged bit / insurance issues, there is nothing you can do about this if that is the case. You might find that farmers will be more lenient than vet practices in that respect. Most places will take you on after you turn 16 - I did most of my placements after I was 16 (summer after GCSEs and onwards) and got interviewed everywhere I applied and ended up at Liverpool vet school. Be prepared to sacrifice a lot of your holidays / half terms / weekend.

You should not apply to any vet schools for which your don't meet the requirements (unless you have some special circumstances which should be discussed with the uni before applying). The work experience requirements are the bare minimum - you need much more than is stated to remain competitive.
There is lots of relevant volunteering you can do at 16. Riding for the Disabled, some RSPCA stuff plus many zoos etc have volunteer programs : http://www.bristolzoo.org.uk/zoo-information/volunteering It doesn't have to be called 'work experience' to count. If you are able to say in your PS 'I have been a volunteer keeper at Bristol Zoo every Saturday for the last 12 months' and explain what that taught you etc, that will still be counted as 'other animal experience'.
Reply 5
I agree with the above post - try and get some husbandry experience that lasts for a considerable amount of time (eg. walking dogs at a local animal shelter, milking, stable hand...) and start applying for clinical placements just before you turn 16 (to allow for time taken to respond) so that you can begin in vet practice as soon as possible. I personally was allowed into a vet practice at 14/15 as I was under school insurance (as it was school-mandated experience), so I don't know if that's something that's applicable everywhere but you might want to follow it up.

Good luck!
Reply 6
I am hoping to apply to Liverpool as my first choice. I have been working at a stables every Saturday for five years. By next summer I will have completed 2 or3 weeks lambing, two SA placements, equine hospital and 1 week small animal hospital, large animal vet, week on RVC farm, one week possibly at a nature centre and shortlisted for a safari park, one week in a wildlife hospital. I am hoping to get a week in a lab and cattery and a week on a dairy farm. How much stables can I include? I know RVC only count last 18 months but am not sure about Liverpool.? I am determined to get in but do I need to look for more.?
Reply 7
Vetsalgirl021.. I don't know where you are ? Definitely try national sheep association in spring for lambing placements. I googled and sent letters to list of vets. I think rvc have a list of approved vets in your area which might help you work out which vets might be more receptive to getting letters asking for placements. I also wrote to children's farms.

I didn't get any joy from aquariums .. although I can see that some people have.
Original post by coupezaj
I am hoping to apply to Liverpool as my first choice. I have been working at a stables every Saturday for five years. By next summer I will have completed 2 or3 weeks lambing, two SA placements, equine hospital and 1 week small animal hospital, large animal vet, week on RVC farm, one week possibly at a nature centre and shortlisted for a safari park, one week in a wildlife hospital. I am hoping to get a week in a lab and cattery and a week on a dairy farm. How much stables can I include? I know RVC only count last 18 months but am not sure about Liverpool.? I am determined to get in but do I need to look for more.?

Liverpool, as you know place a lot of emphasis on placements. You seem to have covered all basis and have a good variety which is what they look out for apart from the no. of weeks. I had around 19 weeks by the time of applying straight from school and got in 1st time to Liverpool, although others have got in with less than this. The reality is that, so long as work exp doesn't affect your A levels, you can never really do too much!

Quick Reply

Latest