The Student Room Group

I hit someone's wing mirror

I hit someone's wing mirror today and didn't notice until he drove up next to me and shouted at me, all that broke on his wing mirror was the shield, I was panicking and still am, we exchanged numbers but he wants money from me. What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Toxicxsecret
I hit someone's wing mirror today and didn't notice until he drove up next to me and shouted at me, all that broke on his wing mirror was the shield, I was panicking and still am, we exchanged numbers but he wants money from me. What should I do?

Find a garage, get a quote for how much it costs to replace the wing mirror, then let the guy know you'll pay him the amount it costs to get his mirror fixed there. You should pay him, seeing as you broke it, but don't let him take advantage and rip you off.
Reply 2
I'd be careful, it's a well known scam to get people to pay cash and then also claim insurance to get double.

Ask for proof of damage and ideally leave it all to insurers, no chance of getting scammed.
If you're keen to avoid that, find out what damage is, get some quotes and pay that, and see if you can get something akin to a written note/contract saying this is all paid up for damage.
Original post by theo1jinx
You newbie should have given him a fake phone :tongue:

You badass.
Reply 4
Yes I am a newbie only been driving a year, never had this happen, he took a photo of my license plate then threatened to do it thought legal channels and said I was speeding, but I was doing the speed limit there which was 30. And the area he is parked is university houses
Original post by theo1jinx
You newbie should have given him a fake phone number:tongue:

That is the worst advice I've ever heard, most people take a note of your number plate, do you really want to get involved with the police over £100?
Reply 6
Original post by Inazuma
I'd be careful, it's a well known scam to get people to pay cash and then also claim insurance to get double.

Ask for proof of damage and ideally leave it all to insurers, no chance of getting scammed.
If you're keen to avoid that, find out what damage is, get some quotes and pay that, and see if you can get something akin to a written note/contract saying this is all paid up for damage.

I saw the damaged the shield for the wing mirror had come off but no damage to the actual mirror

pay, it will probably be about £60 though, £30 for the cap and £30 for respraying it to match the colour of the bodywork. I recently needed a whole new wing mirror and that was what the cap and cover cost out of my total bill.
Reply 8
Original post by Zachary T-H
That is the worst advice I've ever heard, most people take a note of your number plate, do you really want to get involved with the police over £100?

That's the problem I don't have £100 and I am the 2nd named driver, my dad is the 1st and I have only had this car 2 or 3 week
OP - are you sure you hit it? You would have felt the knock.
pay, it will probably be about £60 though, £30 for the cap and £30 for respraying it to match the colour of the bodywork. I recently needed a whole new wing mirror and that was what the cap and cover cost out of my total bill.

It's a ford, and I had a fiat chiquichento before this car and someone smash my divers side mirror in a car park at night, it would of costed me £100-£200 to get the part and replace the whole thing, his is just the plastic shield
Original post by Muttley79
OP - are you sure you hit it? You would have felt the knock.

I didn't feel a knock or hear one, but when I pulled over I noticed my mirror was folded in, and I take that route to work every day, I know how tight the road is with both side full of parked cars, drivers on the both sides trying to leave a doors gap between them and the parked cars but not leaving room for the other drivers and lorries and vans driving though
It's a ford, and I had a fiat chiquichento before this car and someone smash my divers side mirror in a car park at night, it would of costed me £100-£200 to get the part and replace the whole thing, his is just the plastic shield

Yeah, my wing mirror in total was 220 all said and done, the cap (plastic bit) is about £30 but the colour matching respray is the expensive part, it's the same again- my experience is based on my toyota, so not the most expensive car to buy parts for. Your better off paying it as you don't want it to be claimed off your insurance, you said that you couldn't afford it, is there anyway you can ask your parents?
Yeah, my wing mirror in total was 220 all said and done, the cap (plastic bit) is about £30 but the colour matching respray is the expensive part, it's the same again- my experience is based on my toyota, so not the most expensive car to buy parts for. Your better off paying it as you don't want it to be claimed off your insurance, you said that you couldn't afford it, is there anyway you can ask your parents?

To scared to ask my parents, I feel stupid enough already.
Organize a appointment with a garage and tell the guy if he wants it for free to be there at x time on x day, then have the bill sent to you, not to him. then if the insurance company gets in contact you can show them the bill for works and he will be done for fraud by his own insurance company.
DONT deal in cash. <<<-------------------------------------------------
If he wants you to fix it you will fix it, if he doesnt, then insurance company will have to deal with it. Its not worth giving cash then him just saying you didnt. then your insurance going up as well, then you pay out twice

Edit again, also worth studying the road markings where it happened, and see if there were any cameras looking. shops may let you look at the footage for free, then you can see who was actually at fault, for example if he was pulling into your lane then its his fault, your lane, your right of way, if you were over the line into his lane, your fault. etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
Organize a appointment with a garage and tell the guy if he wants it for free to be there at x time on x day, then have the bill sent to you, not to him. then if the insurance company gets in contact you can show them the bill for works and he will be done for fraud by his own insurance company.
DONT deal in cash. <<<-------------------------------------------------
If he wants you to fix it you will fix it, if he doesnt, then insurance company will have to deal with it. Its not worth giving cash then him just saying you didnt. then your insurance going up as well, then you pay out twice

He wants to take it to a ford dealship, won't that cost more?
To scared to ask my parents, I feel stupid enough already.

trust me, your parents would be more annoyed if it poses any risk to their no claims bonus that they have been building up for many years.....

And there was no paint on it, just the dark grey plastic
He wants to take it to a ford dealship, won't that cost more?

Go to the ford dealer garage, get a quote, then go somewhere else and get another quote.
If he wants you to fix it, then YOU will fix it, he has no say in where or when it will happen. money talks :wink:
And there was no paint on it, just the dark grey plastic

are you certain it wasn't painted? If you are you've saved yourself half the money, if he tries to get you to pay for the respray make sure you refuse. If it was just the plastic I would be more suspicious of him as a driver as it means that he has already broken the wing mirror somehow.......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending