The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Law vs. Nottingham Law

I'm really torn as to which one I should chose. I also got an offer from Durham University but knowing the kind of person I am, I'm not gonna have a lot of fun there at all. I hear that academically Nottingham and Bristol's law program is more or less on par. Is that true? Which one has a better reputation with employers? City Uni or Campus Uni? Help!
Reply 1
Original post by Jr Ombregt
I'm really torn as to which one I should chose. I also got an offer from Durham University but knowing the kind of person I am, I'm not gonna have a lot of fun there at all. I hear that academically Nottingham and Bristol's law program is more or less on par. Is that true? Which one has a better reputation with employers? City Uni or Campus Uni? Help!

In terms of employers they would probably argue Bristol is higher although Nottingham law is amazing! The whole city/campus uni can only be decided by you and how you would feel about it. Although I would say that Nottingham is a campus uni on the edge of a city so you get the best of both worlds. Personally I found the Nottingham campus and city awful in comparison to Bristol which was faultless. I'm deciding between Warwivk and Bristol for politics so I understand how hard it is to make a decision. Good luck and choose where you'll be happiest for 3/4 years and which course you prefer because if you choose Nottingham but hate the course you might leave with a 2:2 in comparison to a first from going to Bristol :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Heya I had the same decision to make this year, nottingham and bristol were the two main contenders. In the end I opted for bristol by doing what the above post suggested- going for the one where I felt I'd be happiest.
I still got the giddy excited feeling about going to Bristol after two years, so ultimately that decided it.
Moreover I found stats on magic circle acceptance and Bristol is higher than nottingham.
Bristol seems like a nicer city, moreover if you stay in the precinct it sounds like students are so concentrated in and around that area that it's pretty close to a campus anyhow.
Best of luck with your decision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Wilder Airs
Heya I had the same decision to make this year, nottingham and bristol were the two main contenders. In the end I opted for bristol by doing what the above post suggested- going for the one where I felt I'd be happiest.
I still got the giddy excited feeling about going to Bristol after two years, so ultimately that decided it.
Moreover I found stats on magic circle acceptance and Bristol is higher than nottingham.
Bristol seems like a nicer city, moreover if you stay in the precinct it sounds like students are so concentrated in and around that area that it's pretty close to a campus anyhow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wait just to clarify, are you taking the law course too?
Hey!
I've got an unconditional offer to study law at Bristol University however I'm still trying to decide between Manchester Uni and Bristol!
Having researched it extensively it seems that the contact time for Law at Bristol (time spent in lectures,seminars,tutorials etc) is a lot lower than at many other unis including Manchester (at 15% to an overall average of about 25% at a lot of other unis). At Bristol, a relatively high percentage of the overall law degree is assessed through coursework and this could possibly explain the shorter contact time however I’m still not convinced.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Wait just to clarify, are you taking the law course too?

Mhmm ^^
Reply 6
Bristol fo sure.

I'm hoping to do law at bristol, can I ask what you got at gcse please

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I ask what you got at gcse please as I hope to do law at bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by oli19919
I'm hoping to do law at bristol, can I ask what you got at gcse please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't take GSCE, I took the MYP (Middle Years Program) and then the IB (International Baccalaureate). I got 7 7 6 at higher level English, History and Biology in the IB. My MYP grades weren't so hot but to be real as long as you do well in during A levels you're golden
I didn't take GSCE, I took the MYP (Middle Years Program) and then the IB (International Baccalaureate). I got 7 7 6 at higher level English, History and Biology in the IB. My MYP grades weren't so hot but to be real as long as you do well in during A levels you're golden

Ok thank you, please can you check out 'official vacation scheme thread 2015!!!' and read the last couple of pages. You'll find it entertaining! Feel free to comment haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Last 3 pages

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by oli19919
Can I ask what you got at gcse please as I hope to do law at bristol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a couple of A stars, about seven As, a few Bs and two Cs. I wouldn't worry so much about GCSEs - A levels are where your application comes to the crunch. that and your LNAT score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I got a couple of A stars, about seven As, a few Bs and two Cs. I wouldn't worry so much about GCSEs - A levels are where your application comes to the crunch. that and your LNAT score.

Posted from TSR Mobile

kay guys back to the topic of the thread. From what I've heard Bristol is seems like the right choice now. The main thing is the setting for me now, a campus is gonna get old fast and I want to experience the whole city life and freedom to explore part of becoming more independent. The rest of the factors concerning the Unis are more or less on par I guess, excluding the fact that Bristol has absolutely great opportunities for making connections as a city and firms both locally and in London. Plus Bristol's in the top 5 best rep with employers. What do you guys think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending