The Student Room Group

AQA Politics GOV4B

Scroll to see replies

How would you approach an intrinsic vs. instrumental question? Especially when it comes to intrinsic? Also, the purpose of education for the left - what would you guys' points be? Thanks!
Only just started education last min revision now, I've done so much on environmentalism ! I will post any notes that I think will be useful. My tutor mainly provided photocopies from text books and articles
Reply 42
Original post by studsandposes
How would you approach an intrinsic vs. instrumental question? Especially when it comes to intrinsic? Also, the purpose of education for the left - what would you guys' points be? Thanks!

Intrinsic I think would closely link to the importance of the individual. This is everybody achieving their potential in different ways, so less 'chalk and talk.' The instrumental value is preparing students for work, so the increase in the number of apprenticeships may be in use for that.

Some on the left believe in egalitarianism, the equality of outcome. So Blair saying 'the genius inside every child' (Albeit not very left). Egalitarians also believe in comprehensivisation with minimal selection and streaming. I presume they also prefer the national curriculum being set by government, rather than academies, but I'm not 100% too sure. They also favour progressive teaching methods- learning through experience and activity, emphasising creativity and equal relationships.

I hope this helps, and if anything is wrong please help me change it!
image.jpg This is an article we got given for education, it provides an overview, don't know if you can find it online or not, or if it's of any use
Reply 44
Original post by melissa0218
Only just started education last min revision now, I've done so much on environmentalism ! I will post any notes that I think will be useful. My tutor mainly provided photocopies from text books and articles

Mine's the opposite! Cramming the Economy section omg...I've done most on education rather than the Economy. If you'd like me to send you my notes for Education I'd be more than happy to post them on here.

If you could post some about the main aspects which need knowing for the environment I'd be very greatful, just started last minute revision for that haha
Reply 46
Original post by Ali_rrr
If I were you fella, I would just revise the hell out of economic policy from 1945 onwards, how the government used Keynesian policies, swapping to Monetarist, and now Balls/Osbourne using Keynesian policies. Also, I would if I were you, look at the economic policies of the big 3 parties (Labour, Tories and Lib Dems)

Thanks for the advice! I had a revision session today in college and my teacher actually did a past paper question on economic policy, but from Thatcher's Monetarist policies in the 70's onward.

Original post by skeptical_john
here are some vids on gov4b
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeFjVyYvhAviwGv_1ZXTjwQ

I would suggest to anyone just go through every past exam you can get (read mark scheme / exam reports) and even use other exam boards. edexcel 4b has some similar stuff.

Found the video on third wave feminism helpful, thanks!
Reply 47
Original post by Jordan_K
Thanks for the advice! I had a revision session today in college and my teacher actually did a past paper question on economic policy, but from Thatcher's Monetarist policies in the 70's onward.

That's all you really need to know. You only need to briefly mention from 45-79, the main bulk should be from Thatcher onwards.
Reply 48
Original post by Ali_rrr
That's all you really need to know. You only need to briefly mention from 45-79, the main bulk should be from Thatcher onwards.

Cheers! Think I've finally got my head round economic policy over time haha... tbh I'm hoping the 30M will be on something like Globalisation.
Original post by Hanya Pouncey
Mine's the opposite! Cramming the Economy section omg...I've done most on education rather than the Economy. If you'd like me to send you my notes for Education I'd be more than happy to post them on here.

That would be amazing thank you !!!
Original post by Venture_interpol
If you could post some about the main aspects which need knowing for the environment I'd be very greatful, just started last minute revision for that haha

I've created loads of revision cards ! After I have completed education I will try to send some of the key ones if that's of any help ? You'll have to excuse my awful handwriting !
Reply 51
That would be amazing thank you !!!

Here they are:
Is it just me that thinks there is loads less to write on this exam? With the Ideologies I felt like I could have wrote a book but I'm struggling after 2/3 sides for the 30 markers on this :s-smilie:
Original post by paigerosee
Is it just me that thinks there is loads less to write on this exam? With the Ideologies I felt like I could have wrote a book but I'm struggling after 2/3 sides for the 30 markers on this :s-smilie:

I am the exact same! I feel like especially the multiculturalism questions - I am answering a sociology question, not a politics question, and it's hard to always link back to the political parties :frown:

@Ali_rrr thanks!!!! You were really helpful!
Here they are:

I've tried reading them and it's come up with "error reading document" ? Thank you loads though!!
I've created loads of revision cards ! After I have completed education I will try to send some of the key ones if that's of any help ? You'll have to excuse my awful handwriting !
That would be great if you could! Mine is near enough like Japanese so I think I'll manage :biggrin:
Reply 56
Original post by paigerosee

You really don't need that much more than 3 sides for the 30 markers. If you're doing more make sure you stay 100% on the topic as most examiners hate people who just blab on. Just make sure it's detailed and you follow the question.
Reply 57
I've accepted my fate that I'm going to fail this exam tomorrow. No way am I gonna be able to turn this around by tomorrow morning.

Do you guys suggest I focus on my weakness (the economy) or my strength (education, which is not very strong anyway)?
I've accepted my fate that I'm going to fail this exam tomorrow. No way am I gonna be able to turn this around by tomorrow morning.

Do you guys suggest I focus on my weakness (the economy) or my strength (education, which is not very strong anyway)?

I'm in the exact same position apart from I have no strong point!! We're all in this together :'( I'm just gonna read over both sections a few times and pray something goes in!
Reply 59

I reckon go on your strength, if you get 30 marks in your strong section then you won't need as many in your weaker section. What grade do you need/want?

Quick Reply