The Student Room Group

Student Nurse Finance Questions:

Hello there!

Just wondering if you guys can clear up some confusion. I would just like to know, as a Nursing Student what financial support is there for us. Can you please confirm if we are eleigible for:

1) Maintence Loan (Not NHS bursery)
2) Maintenance Grant
3) Any other funding?

Many thanks!

CLLC :smile:

P.s How do current learning health care professionals cope financially?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CLLC
Hello there!

Just wondering if you guys can clear up some confusion. I would just like to know, as a Nursing Student what financial support is there for us. Can you please confirm if we are eleigible for:

1) Maintence Loan (Not NHS bursery)
2) Maintenance Grant
3) Any other funding?

Many thanks!

CLLC :smile:

You are only eligible for a maintenance loan from sfe of 2400 ish,nothing else .
NHS bursary should be where the majority of your finances come from :smile:
Reply 2
Thats brilliant as makes it more financially viable for me to go enrol on a course.

How do you current student nurses and health professionals cope financially? :smile:
Original post by CLLC
Thats brilliant as makes it more financially viable for me to go enrol on a course.

How do you current student nurses and health professionals cope financially? :smile:

I actually don't start till September,however am receiving a similar amount of finance as when I did my other course(one i ve just finished) so know I m going to cope reasonably well and the NHS have approved me having placement travel expenses so makes life easier
3rd year student child nurse here!

If I'm honest, I cope through the financial support of my parents. But that is because I am only eligible for the basic NHS grant and the maintenance loan. I don't get any NHS Bursary. So in total I receive about £3200 a year in help, and that's doesn't even touch my rent!

But if you are sensible with your finances and accommodation choices etc, it's very doable to financially survive on a nursing course. Make sure you apply for all possible bursaries and other funding your university may or may not provide, as well as the national funding!

Hope that kinda helps. Feel free to DM and/or ask any more questions you have anytime :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I'm just wondering about the NHS Grant. I've been doing some research but can't find much about it. The things I saw said that it is a fixed rate of £1000 each year. Is this still right and do you just automatically get it? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Laurendutton4
Hi, I'm just wondering about the NHS Grant. I've been doing some research but can't find much about it. The things I saw said that it is a fixed rate of £1000 each year. Is this still right and do you just automatically get it? Thanks in advance :smile:

Oh, I just found that it is included with the bursary.
Original post by Laurendutton4

Hi,

That's still right! You have to apply for the grant as you do other NHS funding though, and it comes in 11 installments across the academic year.

See here for an overview of NHS Bursaries: https://www.gov.uk/nhs-bursaries/overview

And see here for a complete guide to the whole system: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Documents/Students/Your_guide_to_NHS_Student_Bursaries_2015_-16_(V2)_Web_11.2014.pdf

Hope that helps you! :smile:
Reply 8
Many thanks for all your replies! Im very excited to begin my Adult Nursing Course! Just to clear something else up:

1) Should I apply for the maintenece loan of SFE immediately?
2) Do I apply via there website or do I have to do it off NHS Bursary website too?
3) How do I get approved for placement travel expenses?

many thanks!

CLLC
Original post by CLLC
Many thanks for all your replies! Im very excited to begin my Adult Nursing Course! Just to clear something else up:

2) Do I apply via there website or do I have to do it off NHS Bursary website too?

many thanks!

CLLC

Bet you are excited!!! I remember the feeling well!

1) Not entirely sure when you should apply if I'm brutally honest - I can't remember when I did mine. But you want to leave plenty of time for it to go through, so your first payment doesn't come late.
2) Go here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login and click 'Start now' :smile:
3) If you are eligible for the NHS Grant of £1000, then you are able to claim placement travel expenses. (Though, it has to cost you more to get to placement than uni and you claim the difference back. E.g. Say you walk to uni, costing £0 and get the bus to placement costing £3 a day, you claim it all back. If that makes sense?) When you come to apply for your expenses, you use this form, which you may wish to save to your computer: http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Documents/Students/Practice_Placement_Expenses_%28travel_and_accommodation%29_claim_form_2014.15_%28V1%29_11.2014.pdf

Hope that helps you! :smile:
Original post by CLLC

many thanks!

CLLC

1)SFE is open for applications now:smile:
2) on sfe's website, bare in mind they might ask you for the same evidence nhs bursary want so do bursary first i d say
3) i ve been wondering exactly how that works myself, i know i m eligible though:P
Original post by claireestelle
1)SFE is open for applications now:smile:
2) on sfe's website, bare in mind they might ask you for the same evidence nhs bursary want so do bursary first i d say
3) i ve been wondering exactly how that works myself, i know i m eligible though:P

Claire, for how the placement expenses work, see link to form on my previous comment. You fill that out, and submit it with your receipts to your university, they approve it and then you get reimbursed.

When I do mine, I get the money back at the end of the academic year, though I did read from someone here that they get them back more often. It depends how your uni administrate it, I guess :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
Claire, for how the placement expenses work, see link to form on my previous comment. You fill that out, and submit it with your receipts to your university, they approve it and then you get reimbursed.

When I do mine, I get the money back at the end of the academic year, though I did read from someone here that they get them back more often. It depends how your uni administrate it, I guess :smile:

Thank you:smile: If i ve understood correctly they will reimburse the cheapest option, if in the case a weekly or monthly ticket was cheaper should i consider buying one?
Think it would work out easier for me rather than having to keep a ticket everyday, especially when i ll probably forget where i ve put them
Original post by claireestelle
Thank you:smile: If i ve understood correctly they will reimburse the cheapest option, if in the case a weekly or monthly ticket was cheaper should i consider buying one?
Think it would work out easier for me rather than having to keep a ticket everyday, especially when i ll probably forget where i ve put them

They will reimburse either :smile: I don't think they have the time to Google everyone's local bus services and see if they were using the cheapest travel tickets! :P

I've got a plastic card (Similar to an Oyster card) for my local bus service which I top up every month, and just submit the receipts for the top-ups. It's far easier than having change for a ticket everyday!!! (And works better for shift working as 'day return' tickets won't do for night shifts as you are travelling on different days!) :smile:
Original post by PaediatricStN
They will reimburse either :smile: I don't think they have the time to Google everyone's local bus services and see if they were using the cheapest travel tickets! :P

I've got a plastic card (Similar to an Oyster card) for my local bus service which I top up every month, and just submit the receipts for the top-ups. It's far easier than having change for a ticket everyday!!! (And works better for shift working as 'day return' tickets won't do for night shifts as you are travelling on different days!) :smile:

Thank you:smile: I will definitely be buying monthly tickets then or possibly termly ones, have to get the calculator out when i get my placement allocations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending