The Student Room Group

Incoming! Russian spacecraft hurtling towards us at 4.6m a second!

Dang. A Russian spacecraft launch has gone horribly wrong. In a week or so it will be hurtling back to Earth.

Time to don real tinfoil hats. :lol:

If it heads for London, I hope they tell us. I will shelter in the Northern line at Angel. Nice and deep there! :biggrin:

http://www.theguardian.com/science/live/2015/apr/29/unmanned-russian-cargo-spacecraft-m-27m-falling-to-earth-live

[h="2"]Progress 59 spacecraft passes over England and London[/h] ISS Progress 47 docked at the International Space Station. Photograph: NASA/REX Shutterstock/NASA/REX ShutterstockAn unmanned Russian cargo spacecraft plunging back to Earth and apparently out of control has passed over southern England. Here’s what we know so far:

The ship had been scheduled to dock with the ISS, where the international crew of six people is awaiting the cargo, on 30 April.

A statement released overnight by the Joint Space Operations Center (JSpOC) in the US says the Progress 59 spacecraft is rotating at a rate of 360 degrees every five seconds. (see 13.03).

US space agency Nasa last provided an update at 4am UK time explaining that Russian flight controllers were continuing attempts to communicate with the Progress 59 cargo spacecraft (see 12.25).

Progress 59 can be tracked using satellite monitoring tools online including Satflare and NY2O (see 13.51). It is travelling at 4.64 miles per second or nearly 17,000mph.

Scroll to see replies

Don't scare me like that :eek3:
"hurtling towards us at 4.6m a second!"

that is only 10.35 miles per hour :confused:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Don't scare me like that :eek3:

Don't worry. Apparently the odds of being hit by it are 2.2 trillion to 1. We can all relax and enjoy watching it hurtle past. :colondollar:
Reply 4
1, it will accelerate
2, it will almost totally burn up on its way.
Original post by the bear
that is only 10.35 miles per hour :confused:

Oh. Sorreee. The 'm' meant 'miles', not meters.

Yours unscientifically. :blush:

Fullofsurprises
Humanities House
Notverysciency Avenue
Untechnical City
BAhons-shire.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

Yours unscientifically. :blush:

Fullofsurprises
Humanities House
Notverysciency Avenue
Untechnical City
BAhons-shire.

you need a STEM guy to help with these awks moments :colondollar:
Original post by the bear
you need a STEM guy to help with these awks moments :colondollar:

It just helps so much. Although there are science ladies around in these modern days you know.
It just helps so much. Although there are science ladies around in these modern days you know.

mmmhmm

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00494/science1_682_494832a.jpg
Reply 9
Don't worry. Apparently the odds of being hit by it are 2.2 trillion to 1. We can all relax and enjoy watching it hurtle past. :colondollar:

But that means that there is a 0.3% chance that someone does get hit by it!!! And your change of getting hit increases in large crowds:eek:
Original post by Aph
But that means that there is a 0.3% chance that someone does get hit by it!!! And your change of getting hit increases in large crowds:eek:

Well, yeah, I suppose there's a 0.3% chance that someone on the entire Earth will die of Russian spacecraft. But that's really not that big a risk, I mean, how many people on Earth die of, say, heart disease every day?

It's really russian towards us :eek3:

Spoiler

Spoiler

:teehee:

Spoiler

No need. That was a good pun :console:
Reply 14
Well, yeah, I suppose there's a 0.3% chance that someone on the entire Earth will die of Russian spacecraft. But that's really not that big a risk, I mean, how many people on Earth die of, say, heart disease every day?

I know... Though in the UK you are more likely to die from a meteor then lightening strike so we are at more risk!!!! And anyway, all preventable deaths are a tragedy.
Reply 15
A statement released overnight by the Joint Space Operations Center (JSpOC) in the US says the Progress 59 spacecraft is rotating at a rate of 360 degrees every five seconds. (see 13.03).

Sounds an awful like my attempts at KSP. And the new update just came out yesterday… coincidence? :curious:
Original post by Dez
Sounds an awful like my attempts at KSP. And the new update just came out yesterday… coincidence? :curious:

Ooo. I just looked up 'KSP'. Do you think the Russians are using game software to run their space missions? :eek4:

That would certainly explain this.
Original post by Dez

I can't even get my rockets off the ground in KSP :cry: I'm not a threat to anyone
Reply 18
Ooo. I just looked up 'KSP'. Do you think the Russians are using game software to run their space missions? :eek4:

That would certainly explain this.

Would definitely explain a lot. Especially ISS missions, docking spacecraft is really tricky.

I can't even get my rockets off the ground in KSP :cry: I'm not a threat to anyone

Poor Jebediah. :rip:

Is that one of those games that takes, like, 600 hours of intense efforts to get to Level 1 of 327 levels. Where only level 198 feels good? :giggle:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending