The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

MSc or Post graduate diploma with the OU

Has anybody done either of these or is doing them currently?

Can you share any experiences about doing it, or job prospects after, or whether you felt it was worth doing?

More specifically I was looking at the MSc in clinical chemistry or science, or the science post grad diploma.

Thanks.
Original post by SuperCat007
Has anybody done either of these or is doing them currently?

Can you share any experiences about doing it, or job prospects after, or whether you felt it was worth doing?

More specifically I was looking at the MSc in clinical chemistry or science, or the science post grad diploma.

Thanks.

I've looked into it but the people I know who have done science masters with the OU have said its not that great, the lack of lab work and the modules are pretty random too!!

Have you thought about brick uni for masters? That's currently my thought as I finish soon!

-------------------------------------------
If I help at all, please press the thumbs up :-)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Lambert87
I've looked into it but the people I know who have done science masters with the OU have said its not that great, the lack of lab work and the modules are pretty random too!!

Have you thought about brick uni for masters? That's currently my thought as I finish soon!

Hi, thanks. Yes I have and obviously this would be the first choice, but I was just reading about how hard people are finding it trying to get into MSc courses because of the lack of lab experience in the OU degree. Hence, I thought I'd do some research about doing it with the OU. Also the lack of a real project in year 3 seems to be holding some people back so with the masters there you do actually do a research module.
Hi, thanks. Yes I have and obviously this would be the first choice, but I was just reading about how hard people are finding it trying to get into MSc courses because of the lack of lab experience in the OU degree. Hence, I thought I'd do some research about doing it with the OU. Also the lack of a real project in year 3 seems to be holding some people back so with the masters there you do actually do a research module.

Have you ever thought about the lab courses they run? They are not cheap (about £400) but you spend a week in a lab doing ELISA, Mass spectroscopy and things like that..

I know loads of people on Msc's from OU

Have you ever thought about the lab courses they run? They are not cheap (about £400) but you spend a week in a lab doing ELISA, Mass spectroscopy and things like that..

I know loads of people on Msc's from OU

I didn't even know about them... I thought there weren't practical courses anymore... I would definitely do tha.
I didn't even know about them... I thought there weren't practical courses anymore... I would definitely do tha.

It's not done by the OU directly but they are amazing -- they cater for bio or chem students (I have done them and employers seriously like it) Shall I pm you the details?
It's not done by the OU directly but they are amazing -- they cater for bio or chem students (I have done them and employers seriously like it) Shall I pm you the details?

Yes please, that would be fantastic.

Quick Reply

Latest