The Student Room Group

Harder A-levels

I'm not sure if this is true, but today our English teacher told us that because the A-level is being changed next year and as we are the last year to do the current AS and A2 structure, the exams might be deliberately made harder so that less people will achieve the top grade to show that the new A-level is more effective than the old one.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Yes,

They are changing the A-levels to 'a linear course' so that you your AS levels do not count as part as your overall A level. You can still take your AS level exams( because many people drop a subject after a year) but this AS level will be a stand alone qualification, so you will be examined on the whole 2 years at the end of year 13 and that will give you your A level grade. The AS levels will give you less UCAS points than they currently do, but universities will still recognise that you have done them.

At our school, not all subjects are being changed, though. That is something you might want to ask about at your own school. I do see some benefits to the new system, but it will make year 13 a whole lot harder...

They are also changing the GCSEs, and instead of getting an A*A B C D E or U, the students next year will get 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 or 1. I personally see no point in this. Besides, it sounds much better to say that you got an A* than a '9.'

Quick Reply

Latest