The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

a question about Biochemistry and Dual Honours ??

So I have been accepted to study a Dual Honours at Keele, In Biochemistry and possibly Computer science. I was so excited to study it, but then my stuck up sister started to say to my mum, that biochemistry is for failed medics and its not a real STEM subject and theres no jobs and so on,

She did a Maths degree so I said well the same thing could be said for that, her response was that Maths is a real STEM subject like chemistry or physics.
She further goes to say that all biochemistry and biomedical , basically life sciences are all the same, (even though she doesn't even know the difference between them) most people are unemployed ( according to her everyone she knows at leeds uni who did life sciences are sitting at home). I don't understand this statement as I would be able to apply to both biology, chemistry jobs and all the jobs she could with a maths degree.

Also she's trying to be little the dual course stating thats its easy and not respected by employers which Keele uni says otherwise. I would think having two skill sets would be an advantage. However she's saying that we don't learn enough and it looks bad, which I don't see how as we would cover all the core modules for the degree. So according to her its stupid doing a dual/joint honours degree as its not apparently respected by employer and according to her I will be working in a call centre which is making my mum look down on the degree I want to do and now they want me to go into the NHS to be a cardiac physiologist or audiologists as to them its a 'secure and stable career'.

I just feel sad now, they making me have doubts and I just don't now what to do anymore.... :'(
Original post by Audiology-Med
So I have been accepted to study a Dual Honours at Keele, In Biochemistry and possibly Computer science. I was so excited to study it, but then my stuck up sister started to say to my mum, that biochemistry is for failed medics and its not a real STEM subject and theres no jobs and so on,

She did a Maths degree so I said well the same thing could be said for that, her response was that Maths is a real STEM subject like chemistry or physics.
She further goes to say that all biochemistry and biomedical , basically life sciences are all the same, (even though she doesn't even know the difference between them) most people are unemployed ( according to her everyone she knows at leeds uni who did life sciences are sitting at home). I don't understand this statement as I would be able to apply to both biology, chemistry jobs and all the jobs she could with a maths degree.

Also she's trying to be little the dual course stating thats its easy and not respected by employers which Keele uni says otherwise. I would think having two skill sets would be an advantage. However she's saying that we don't learn enough and it looks bad, which I don't see how as we would cover all the core modules for the degree. So according to her its stupid doing a dual/joint honours degree as its not apparently respected by employer and according to her I will be working in a call centre which is making my mum look down on the degree I want to do and now they want me to go into the NHS to be a cardiac physiologist or audiologists as to them its a 'secure and stable career'.

I just feel sad now, they making me have doubts and I just don't now what to do anymore.... :'(

Hi Audiology-Med,

A useful element of the prospectus/Keele website under each subject is that it gives an indication on what skills and careers can be gained from the study. Under Biochemistry on the website it states:

The Biochemistry course aims to produce highly motivated graduates who are suitably prepared for employment, principally in industry and in the Health Service, and who are well equipped to study for a higher degree. At the same time, students will develop and use a range of key skills that are suitable for employment outside these directly related subjects. A substantial proportion of Biochemistry graduates go into other areas where numeracy and an objective scientific approach to problem solving are valued.
Brian Swain entered Keele as a mature student, after working as a Retail Representative for Marion Merrell Dow. He studied Biochemistry and Chemistry Dual Honours for two years and transferred to Single Honours Biochemistry for his final year. Brian graduated with a 2ii Honours degree in Biochemistry and is now a Business Manager with Zeneca Innovex. His view is that:
Degree level training at Keele is a great preparation for commerce and life.”
Brian Swain

At Keele, we believe that it's not just getting that piece of paper at the end of the degree but also equipping you with a wide variety of skills that you would be able to take forward with you in whatever you choose to do!

This is why Dual Honours degrees can be so effective, as you are effectively getting two degrees in one (and as you have noted, you would be doing the core modules for both, you are getting the necessary knowledge from each), increasing the level of transferable skills you would be taking with you.

If you would like any further information on the course, or what you could go onto do, please feel free to let me know and I will send you some details for who would be best to contact and of course, if you have any other queries I will try my best to help!

Ian
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Quick Reply

Latest