The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get 80+% in a 1st year business exam?

I don't know if this is the right place to post this but...

How hard is it to get 80+ % on a 1st year business exam? By 'how hard', I mean is it something that's even possible? I know it's harder to get higher marks on essays and it's really hard to get 80%...

Im going to have my final exams in Organizational Behavior and Introduction to Business

My final business exams will consist of a paper where:

50% of the grade will be - multiple choice questions, short answers
50% of the grade will be - write an essay on a given subject

I'm guessing it is easier to get 80% like this, given that half of the marks will be right or wrong answers so it will be less subjective.

So if anyone has studied business, do you know whether it is realistic to aim for 80+ in a first year business exam, or is it something that seldom happens? Is it more difficult than achieving 80% on an A level paper?

I just want to know whether I am being realistic in my aims.
I would say it's definitely achievable but you'll need to read around your topics significantly.

I've found achieving 80%+ on my business coursework much easier as you obviously have no time constraints, like you do in an exam.

To get top marks in exams:

>I've found doing additional reading in the area helps a lot. Try to pick out key arguments, and specific models you think could be potentially used in the exam questions. Markers like to see that students haven't just recited their core text.

>Try to reference the authors with the publication date, if you really can't remember it would be okay to leave the date, but try not to.

>Ensure you critically analyse the literature. This includes the limitations of certain models. Nothing is ever perfect, and pointing out the problems with the models shows your understanding.

>Use real life examples where you can to show you know what's going on in the world and to back up your arguments.

Hope this helps ^-^ I'm sure you've heard it all before though.

Good Luck with your exams.
Reply 2
Original post by driftawaay

How hard is it to get 80+ % on a 1st year business exam? By 'how hard', I mean is it something that's even possible? I know it's harder to get higher marks on essays and it's really hard to get 80%...

Im going to have my final exams in Organizational Behavior and Introduction to Business

I'm guessing it is easier to get 80% like this, given that half of the marks will be right or wrong answers so it will be less subjective.

So if anyone has studied business, do you know whether it is realistic to aim for 80+ in a first year business exam, or is it something that seldom happens? Is it more difficult than achieving 80% on an A level paper?

I think that it is achievable. Definitely make sure you can maximise your marks on the multiple choice questions. Getting 100% in those would mean would need to get 60% total marks on the essay. If done like this, you will achieve 80% as required. I am doing the OCR Business course, and the essays are hard! Some are 23 marks and you need to show good analysis and evaluative skills too to get into the top bracket!
Hope this helps, and gives you some more scope!
Reply 3
Original post by driftawaay

Yes you can definitely achieve 80% since part of the exam question is multiple choice. Try to get as many marks as possible from the multiple choice questions and you are nearly there.

Just finished uni and in my first year i believed i got 75% in organisational behaviour exam all essay so you can do it

You probably finished your exam by now so good luck
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending