The Student Room Group

ICAEW ACA FAR Exam

Hi guys,

Anyone out there on a training contract who can give some tips and advice in how to prepare for the FAR exam?

Just come out of a week of tuition and as like most of these exams you have to digest a lot of information in a very short amount of time!

Currently going through the question bank and finding the answers not as descriptive as I would have hoped and a broad range of accounting treatments are all being tested at once which seems a bit daughting at first.

So if anyone is in the same boat or has passed the exam please can you share your approach?
Reply 1
Are you due to return to college for revision period?

I felt the same coming out of the taught phase of college and I think I got 18% in my mock at the time. I think the most important thing is learning the methodology for tackling the Consolidated accounts, as it's a standard question that will come up in every exam.

Also, take a look at the past papers, so you can get an idea as to what to expect.
Reply 2
Original post by james303
Are you due to return to college for revision period?

I felt the same coming out of the taught phase of college and I think I got 18% in my mock at the time. I think the most important thing is learning the methodology for tackling the Consolidated accounts, as it's a standard question that will come up in every exam.

Also, take a look at the past papers, so you can get an idea as to what to expect.

Thanks for the advice! Back to college in a month or so, and I've also taken a week's leave before this period (Not sure if this is over cautious!).

What's the best way to utilize your time between college and revision stage? Were you studying after work in the evenings? Did you have much of a weekend in this period?
Reply 3
Original post by cm04
Thanks for the advice! Back to college in a month or so, and I've also taken a week's leave before this period (Not sure if this is over cautious!).

What's the best way to utilize your time between college and revision stage? Were you studying after work in the evenings? Did you have much of a weekend in this period?

I followed the advice I was given, which was to focus on getting a good understanding of the course notes prior to going back to college and not to be overly concerned about getting through the question bank.

The revision phase is what really counts and helped me tremendously, as you'll be doing lots of question practise with a few mocks and they really teach you how to answer the questions in order maximise the marks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending