The Student Room Group

NVQ Level 3 Nursing Help

Hey guys,

Finally got a job in healthcare as a health care assistant. I want to go to uni to study a nursing degree. I have all my gcses all c grade above, however I did my AS levels and hated it, at that point I didnt know I wanted to do nursing.

My new employer has been fantastic and can understand my passion therefore said she will put me forward for the NVQ Level 3 alongside working which is fab. I do have an interview with the college to do an access course, which I know will get me straight into uni, but I hate the idea of not working and not having any money. I am 20 and want to be moved out asap haha!

So does anyone know if universities accept an NVQ Level 3 in healthcare to gain entry? Or is it just A levels and Higher Access Courses?

I have looked on google, but its confusing

Thanks
Chlo
Reply 1
Have a look at the entry requirements for the universities that are of interest to you, that should detail the qualifications they accept.

Original post by stevens1103
Hey guys,

Finally got a job in healthcare as a health care assistant. I want to go to uni to study a nursing degree. I have all my gcses all c grade above, however I did my AS levels and hated it, at that point I didnt know I wanted to do nursing.

My new employer has been fantastic and can understand my passion therefore said she will put me forward for the NVQ Level 3 alongside working which is fab. I do have an interview with the college to do an access course, which I know will get me straight into uni, but I hate the idea of not working and not having any money. I am 20 and want to be moved out asap haha!

So does anyone know if universities accept an NVQ Level 3 in healthcare to gain entry? Or is it just A levels and Higher Access Courses?

I have looked on google, but its confusing

Thanks
Chlo
There was someone on here a few months ago who applied with a NVQ and was rejected for not meeting entry requirements. NVQ's (apart from accountancy I think) hold no UCAS points so alot don't see them as counting towards it but it's best to get in touch with the university you want to apply to to be 100% sure.
Reply 4
Hi, I did the Advanced Diploma in Health and Social Care level 3 last year it included Maths and English functional skills level 2, I applied for M/H nursing, I was rejected for not meeting criteria, I then started a Science, Study Skills, and a Work Based learning module at Hull Uni, all part of the level 4 H & Social care in practice, I did the course around my full time job as a HCA with the NHS, I have had interview and now have conditional offer for Sept 15 intake! I would get in touch with the Uni your thinking of applying to to get advice! 😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Thanks guys. Well I'm looking to do it at Canterbury Christ church and it says "The University considers applications with the following general qualifications alone or in combination with non-standard level 3 qualifications (such as an NVQ 3)" then with a list. I was looking to go to college to do the access course but I need to work at the same time so it's hard and the course is full time, so I might have to do it in my spare time or find something to do. I have emailed the university to see what they say! I guess having the experience will help too and by then I'd be a mature student!
Reply 6
Original post by stevens1103
Thanks guys. Well I'm looking to do it at Canterbury Christ church and it says "The University considers applications with the following general qualifications alone or in combination with non-standard level 3 qualifications (such as an NVQ 3)" then with a list. I was looking to go to college to do the access course but I need to work at the same time so it's hard and the course is full time, so I might have to do it in my spare time or find something to do. I have emailed the university to see what they say! I guess having the experience will help too and by then I'd be a mature student!

My husband did nursing at CCCU - remember you get money for doing it. A bursary from the NHS so you shouldn't have to work.. MLD
Reply 7
Hi I am trying to help my daughter - did you find anything. I think Derby will accept but she doesn't want to go there.
Original post by same boat
Hi I am trying to help my daughter - did you find anything. I think Derby will accept but she doesn't want to go there.

Hi, I am a mature student & will start studying adult nursing in September.
The best thing to do is contact each university directly & ask if they accept NVQ level 3. Kingston & LSBU say they accept "other level
3 qualifications equivalent to 112 UCAS points" so it's worth asking there if those universities are an option.
There is always the option of doing an access to higher education course at college if further study is needed. I did an access course to get into university and really enjoyed it.
I hope this helps.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
They’ve changed it since 2016, nvq level 3 and level 3 qcf diploma use to be accepted for nursing before 2016, but not any more as the ucas tariff system has changed, most unis ask for 112 ucas points for nursing , if u have a level 3 nvq in Health and Social Care or qcf diploma level 3 in health and social care this alone is only 56 ucas points so then you will need to make it up to 112 Ucas points , best way is to just do an access to health course or access to allied health in nursing anything like this will take 1 year at college . And then that will get you in to university to study nursing . Hope this helps , best regards. Rizwan
Reply 10
I think you do have to do an access course, but because your working within a healthcare environment, some universities may consider getting you on the adult nursing course because you have experience within that field. Just mention it on your personal statement and when they do conduct an interview tell them what your future career plans are. Wish you the best of luck; they are more likely to accept you! . ... Also You mentioned you would still like to work, try looking up at The Open University, you don’t need no entry requirements and you need to be working within a healthcare environment which you already do! Give them a call and they will tell you in depth about the course and what you have to do. The best thing is You can work and manage your uni work at home and you don’t need to travel!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending