The Student Room Group

The Leeds United Thread I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by redleader1
Yes correct nearly all Bradford fans hate Leeds with a passion. I dont know about Leeds as a city overshadowing Bradford being the cause, not saying it dosent Leeds is a lot nicer city than Bradford. But back in the 80s it was the other way round I think, Bradford was really developed then.

The main reason Bradford fans hates Leeds is because of what happend in 86 at Odsal, were many Bradford fans believe that Leeds fans made a mockery of the Bradford fire by setting grass and the chip van on fire.

What do you like about our supporters ?

But you have to admit, when we play the atmosphere is mental !! Even this time in the cup. I dont think it was one sided because the Leeds fans buzzing when they scored and when they lost caused a bit of issues:biggrin:

I like proper fans, at "small" clubs. Football should be about supporting your local team, or maybe having a family connection. It really annoys me when you get kids wearing Scum or Chelsea tops in a city with their own club.

Also you have done well over the past couple of seasons with no money or resources and turned over the millionaire tossers a few times. Hard not to feel you are deserving of that after all the suffering over the years.

Leeds fans suffer too, we have had **** throw at us for year after year and yet still the support is phenomenal, the loyalty visceral.

So I empathise. Even though you hate us!
Original post by chocolate hottie
I like proper fans, at "small" clubs. Football should be about supporting your local team, or maybe having a family connection. It really annoys me when you get kids wearing Scum or Chelsea tops in a city with their own club.

Also you have done well over the past couple of seasons with no money or resources and turned over the millionaire tossers a few times. Hard not to feel you are deserving of that after all the suffering over the years.

Leeds fans suffer too, we have had **** throw at us for year after year and yet still the support is phenomenal, the loyalty visceral.

So I empathise. Even though you hate us!

Yes so true, I like proper fans too, I have a lot of respect for the 50 or so Crawley fans who attended at Bradford on a satuday 6 hour round trip or so and their in relegation !

I have spoken to a lot of Leeds fans and they want us to do well so were both in the same league. The atmosphere of the cup game between us was immense. Did you go ?

Would you argue from a Leeds fans perspective that there is much 'rivalry' between us ? To us your our number one rival and always will be. But speaking to Leeds fans its 50/50 some say yes some say no.
Original post by TornadoGR4
I've had this discussion with another Bradford fan on here before. I'd say the Leeds/Bradford rivalry is quite one way. Bradford fans always seem to care what Leeds do & take every opportunity to ridicule us for whatever reason. Whereas Leeds fans don't give much of a toss about Bradford because they're just a small pokey club from the same area.

You mean the same way Manu and Chelsea couldnt really give a toss about Leeds ? Yet Leeds fans always care about them......
Reply 43
Original post by redleader1
You mean the same way Manu and Chelsea couldnt really give a toss about Leeds ? Yet Leeds fans always care about them......

Yes. Exactly that. I'm not naive enough to believe they care about us as much as we do about them because we collapsed down the leagues.
I care about leeds lots.
Reply 45
So we took nearly 58,000 fans on the road this year, nearly 11,000 more than second placed side Middlesbrough. Also interesting that both matches between Leeds and Bournemouth were played on a Tuesday night, which means a near 8 hour round trip for both sets of fans & we took almost 7x as many down to Dean Court than they brought to Elland Road despite them being the top of the Championship at the time :biggrin:

So we took nearly 58,000 fans on the road this year, nearly 11,000 more than second placed side Middlesbrough. Also interesting that both matches between Leeds and Bournemouth were played on a Tuesday night, which means a near 8 hour round trip for both sets of fans & we took almost 7x as many down to Dean Court than they brought to Elland Road despite them being the top of the Championship at the time :biggrin:

From now on Leeds will only get better and better. I mean look at all these young talents and the support from the fans. If they achieved a mid-table finish with notable victories with 0 resources this year, imagine what will happen the years to come. Redfearn has done well so far and deserves another year with maybe a little more back up from the board. MOT
Reply 47
Aston Villa & Newcastle interested 18 year old Lewis Cook. Cook has been brilliant this season, and could really be something special. It'd be a shame to see him reduced to a bit part player in the PL, it's too early for him.
Predictions for today? Gonna go 3-0, Byram, Murphy and Cooper.

Thought we'd be higher than 6th tbh, our away support is superb
Those Bournemouth away figures are funny, watch them suddenly find another 2,000 ''fans'' going to their away games next season.
Reply 51
Rotherham will play with freedom knowing that they're safe. Though I'd still like to think our players will really step up to give Redders the send off he deserves. 2-1 Leeds. Mowatt & Morison to net his 3rd in as many games
Rotherham will play with freedom knowing that they're safe. Though I'd still like to think our players will really step up to give Redders the send off he deserves. 2-1 Leeds. Mowatt & Morison to net his 3rd in as many games

Morison will still be distraught about his beloved Millwall getting relegated.
Poor game. Anyway what do you regulars think of promotion chances next season with a few new players and a competent backroom staff/chairman? I only get down to Elland Road 3 or 4 times a season and don't watch the team outside of that.

Van Gaal is pissing me off badly so I don't wanna talk about United :colonhash:
Reply 54
Original post by IceyFish
Poor game. Anyway what do you regulars think of promotion chances next season with a few new players and a competent backroom staff/chairman? I only get down to Elland Road 3 or 4 times a season and don't watch the team outside of that.

Not happening. Yet again, too much instability to sustain a promotion push. Anonymous foreign manager will come in from some ****e European league and bring a **** load of mercenary deadwood in. Whilst our quality academy graduates are picked off by better teams (Byram linked with Liverpool, Cook with Villa & Newcastle, Mowatt with Liverpool & Hull). Frustrating times.
Not happening. Yet again, too much instability to sustain a promotion push. Anonymous foreign manager will come in from some ****e European league and bring a **** load of mercenary deadwood in. Whilst our quality academy graduates are picked off by better teams (Byram linked with Liverpool, Cook with Villa & Newcastle, Mowatt with Liverpool & Hull). Frustrating times.

Be nice if next season was a push from some of the traditional bigger clubs. You, us, Forest, Sheff Weds, Blackburn that sort. You need stability first so I can't see it somehow.

What would you say to that dickhead Redknapp coming in?
Reply 57
What would you say to that dickhead Redknapp coming in?

Redknapp will never manage north of London. He has & will only ever manage on the south coast or in London.
Redknapp will never manage north of London. He has & will only ever manage on the south coast or in London.

Good point. He's a cretin anyway but he's good at getting clubs up.

I'm reserving judgement until the decision is made on Redfearn. My fear is if he goes then the 4 youngsters will be more willing to leave, and without them I think we are screwed.
Keep them and I don't think we're far away from play-off contenders.
A new right back - maybe Jack Hunt from Palace.
Two genuine out and out wingers - plenty out there, James McLean from Wigan maybe?
Most importantly, a 20 goal striker - Don't know where this player would come from without spending top dollar. Maybe Joe Garner of Preston or another look at Agard. Someone like Troy Deeney.

Quick Reply

Latest