The Student Room Group

a level math and physics

hey guys... i just wanna ask that if i dint take physics and add math,am i recommended to take alevel physics and a level math?
I assume you mean physics and additional maths at GCSE? Taking A level maths is definitely achievable. In all honesty the core content of it is very similar to GCSE and some modules are (for the most part) much easier than others.

Physics however... you're really expected to know a lot of stuff from GCSE, so if you didn't do any physics at all at GCSE you'll need to be prepared to spend a lot of time doing extra work to catch up. It's also one of the most difficult A levels, so make sure it's really what you want to do before picking it.
It's impossible to make meaningful recommendations with such little information about you.

Nonetheless: not having done GCSE Additional Maths will not prevent you doing well in A-level Maths. Doing Add Maths does make the A-level easier, though.

Can't really comment on Physics, aside from saying being good at maths will also help in this subject!

Original post by Mattematics
In all honesty the core content of it is very similar to GCSE

Is it? :confused: Calculus is a big jump.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by StrangeBanana
It's impossible to make meaningful recommendations with such little information about you.

Nonetheless: not having done GCSE Additional Maths will not prevent you doing well in A-level Maths. Doing Add Maths does make the A-level easier, though.

Can't really comment on Physics, aside from saying being good at maths will also help in this subject!

Is it? :confused: Calculus is a big jump.

Calculus (at least in C1 and C2) really isn't that difficult once you understand how to do it. Everything else in C1/C2 is very, very similar to GCSE Maths, if not GCSE Maths itself.

Obviously it gets more difficult in C3/C4, but I'd wager everyone here found quadratics difficult at first too.
Reply 4
I would recommend it, there's a lot of cross-over.
Its not too bad just make sure for Physics you understand all the concepts fully, look on youtube for example if you get stuck on a topic
Original post by Nothematic
Calculus (at least in C1 and C2) really isn't that difficult once you understand how to do it. Everything else in C1/C2 is very, very similar to GCSE Maths, if not GCSE Maths itself.

Obviously it gets more difficult in C3/C4, but I'd wager everyone here found quadratics difficult at first too.

"Understanding how to do it" is generally the hard part of most things, no?

What about all the trigonometry in C3/C4? That's far beyond GCSE level. And what about the applied modules (M1, S1,...)?

Quick Reply

Latest