The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

I've been offered a transfer to Newcastle uni for Psychology

So I study Psychology at Northumbria and tbh I am not enjoying it - it's not the course itself (it's great) but more so to do with the atmosphere and students that go here, they don't seem intellectual Loool the environment isn't exactly the best to thrive in.

Anyway, I contacted Newcastle university asking about a transfer and I was given a conditional offer to study Psychology there instead - but I will have to start from first year as the course materials in first year at Northumbria isn't similar enough. I have a friend who studies medicine there and shes really enjoying it. My main concern is that obvioisly I am not exactly the most able compared to those who have gotten in straight from Alevels, so I worry if I may end up struggling and failing thus doing more harm than good. But also I doubt they would've given me an offer to study there if they thought I wasn't able (they know my GCSE's, Alevels and current first year grades so far).

I want to make the decision of starting a course all over again based on how it'll Impact my future. Newcastle as a Russel group uni will obviously give me a much respected degree, right? Or are things like this a myth?

If anyone studies psychology at newcastle it would also be great to hear your opinions on the course!
You have to remember that you've already done a years worth of university level psychology so in fact you are more experienced than the people who have just come from a levels!
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
If your reason for transferring is because it's a Russel group them how is that going to look to employers apart from a tad elitist?
Employers generally don't care what uni you attended and what grade you achieved either unless you're planning on doing masters or phd and are looking for funding.
If you're not enjoying it speak to the students union and the guidance centre for some help and support.
But to be honest, it sounds like the reason you aren't enjoying it is because you think you're better than the others who attend northumbria.
And that is always going to make you distant from others.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
If your reason for transferring is because it's a Russel group them how is that going to look to employers apart from a tad elitist?
Employers generally don't care what uni you attended and what grade you achieved either unless you're planning on doing masters or phd and are looking for funding.
If you're not enjoying it speak to the students union and the guidance centre for some help and support.
But to be honest, it sounds like the reason you aren't enjoying it is because you think you're better than the others who attend northumbria.
And that is always going to make you distant from others.
Posted from TSR Mobile

No - I don't like my uni, everything is underdeveloped in terms of societies and what not, the facilities are terrible, the campus I am at is ****, the course itself is good but so is newcastles (obviously) and tbh they are more developed in what I am looking for.

Ps - I made two life long friends on the first day and many other friends along the way so don't bring out that I am not enjoying it because of having no friends lmaooooo byyeeeeee
Original post by PsychPrincess
No - I don't like my uni, everything is underdeveloped in terms of societies and what not, the facilities are terrible, the campus I am at is ****, the course itself is good but so is newcastles (obviously) and tbh they are more developed in what I am looking for.

Ps - I made two life long friends on the first day and many other friends along the way so don't bring out that I am not enjoying it because of having no friends lmaooooo byyeeeeee

Please never ever work with people with an attitude like that.
No one is better than anyone else.
Including yourself.

Both campuses are great, Northumbria is more open plan and Newcastle has some good facilities. But I hope that sincerely you get your head out your own arse and realise pretentious people get nowhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
Please never ever work with people with an attitude like that.
No one is better than anyone else.
Including yourself.

Both campuses are great, Northumbria is more open plan and Newcastle has some good facilities. But I hope that sincerely you get your head out your own arse and realise pretentious people get nowhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They haven't been pretentious. You've assumed she is because she has decided to go to a different (generally regarded as better) uni. She doesn't enjoy the course and got a transfer to another uni- which is a good option given her situation. She never said "Oh, any uni which isn't russel group is ****", she just didn't get on with the uni and didn't find it the most academically stimulating environment.

Plus, in regards to any statement you make about "employers don't care": they do, trust me. My Dad worked in recruitment for a huge, well respected TNC and they certainly cared. Granted, for a lot of jobs, it doesn't make a massive difference, but it certainly does make a difference in some cases. Particularly if you are unsure about what you want to do, the reasonable argument would be to go to the best university possible in case you decided you wanted to apply to a job/something where the quality of your undergraduate institution would have an effect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending