The Student Room Group

W Bosons

How do you know which W Boson to use in a feynmans diagram?

Is there a way to find out which to use?

Like W+ if the products are a proton?
Reply 1
Beta plus is W+
Beta minus is W-
Electron capture is W+

just memorise them, they conserve charge
Reply 2
If a proton is turning into a neutron, I say to myself that the positive charge has to have gone somewhere - it has left in the form of a positively charged W boson

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fudge2
If a proton is turning into a neutron, I say to myself that the positive charge has to have gone somewhere - it has left in the form of a positively charged W boson

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easiest way is to remember that at every vertex (where two lines meet) every quantity is conserved. This means that with a little bit of practice you can derive almost any diagram e.g for beta+ decay: I know that a proton decays to a neutron. Since charge is conserved, the exchange particle must be the w+ boson. At the next vertex, the exchange particle has a +ve charge so therefore I must be producing a particle with a positive charge, in this case an e+. I also know that the w+ boson has a lepton number of 0, and that I have produced an anti lepton with lepton number of -1. This means I must also produce a standard lepton with no charge to ensure that lepton number and charge are conserved, so in this case it is an electron neutrino.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest