The Student Room Group

Pulled muscle?

Well basically I was lifting our christmas tree into the living room and it fell out of my grip. I tried to hold onto it, which made my muscles move into awkward positions, and this resulted in my muscle (located around the shoulder blade) experiencing a sharp stabbing pain.

Now it's sore if I move it and it hurts if I lift anything else heavy. I'm not going to my doctor over this yet but what do all of you think it is? As my title says I think it might be a pulled muscle. I can hear these take years to heal. :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Well don't lift anything else heavy while it hurts, doh :p: Give it a few days to rest and if the aching doesn't subside then think about visiting your doctor.
If u pulled ur muscle u will be out for maybe 1week - 2 months depends on the serverity, but probally in 1 week in ur case u will be almost healed.

it doesnt take 2 years to heal LOL. :tongue:
oh and try not to move that part of ur body too much, the more u move, the longer it takes to heal. :wink:
Reply 4
I did something similar a few years ago (oddly enough, it was on the 21st of December too). Keep it warm, gently move it from time to time to stop it getting stiff, and you should be fine in a week at most.
Reply 5
I play lots of Cricket, so take my advice:

Even though you feel you can't move the Muscle, TRY and move it. Bear the pain. If it doesn't move, it won't relax. Instead it'll tighten up.

If you can, get hot oil (I use almond) and massage the area where you feel pain. Wrap it in a towel and keep a hot water bottle over it before sleeping.

If its cold, remember to keep that particular are WARM. If you don't it'll stiffen up again.
i pulled my thigh muscle this morning, omg it hurt. the guys are right - keep it warm, massage and move gently. if it swells up or you get unusual bruising, off to the doctor straight away. otherwise don't worry about it too much :smile:
while playing football i get a lot of muscle pulled so its not that big of a deal (the injury is more like a cold or cough, heals quick)
when you pull a muscle the first week you shouldn't do violent action with it. like a month ago when playing footie, i stood on my left ankle with my WHOLE body weight, it crunched and after that i couldnt walk. i think its the ligament inside the ankle is damaged or w/e its called. anywayz the first week i stopped playing football. EVERY night, before i go bed i would turn the ankle around like 10 times or something to relax the muscle, and just do all sorts of movement with it. do this everyday though, after about 2 weeks if you play sports, then you should continue play w/e you played, because now the ligament is almost healed you need to stregnth it.

i may be wrong but ive had ankle injuries so many times and thats how it got better for me. after a few weeks of playing footie the ankle completely heals itself. you pulled a muscle in ur arm i guess, it'd take prolly like a few days lol so dw about it. no big deal.

if it hurts a lot when a week, which it shouldn't then i'd suggest you go to your pharmacy, they sell spray medicine type thingys that relieves your muscle or w/e.

Latest

Trending

Trending