The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Should i really firm Edinburgh university...?

Hey guys..
I've been extremely stressed out these days, stuck in a dilemma of choosing a university. I will be studying for an undergraduate degree of Business Management coming September. Fortunately, I've received an offer from the university of edinburgh.I've been leaning towards University of Edinburgh for quite a while and i honestly do think it's a top university. As i live outside UK, the information that i can gather about University of Edinburgh is through league tables and rankings (which are incredibly confusing due to the fact that the rankings contradict each other) and research. It seems to have an excellent overall rankings. However, i couldn't help but notice that Business and Management rankings of the university isn't really that good, not of top quality. Is it really worth it to study business management in University of Edinburgh for four years? Is it well known for Business Management?
These universities have offered me for a place as well : Uni of Manchester, Warwick, Durham. I simply don't know what to do.
My criteria for choosing a university would be based on it's reputation, teaching quality, student environment, and whether i'd enjoy Edinburgh without TOO much stress. Is Edinburgh university really for me?
Of course ultimately, this will be my sole decision, however, recommendations and advices will be of HUGE help!
I look forward to your responses, a desperate and confused student in need of help here. :frown::frown::frown: I would also love responses from current business management students in university of Edinburgh to tell me how it is there!
Thank you so much!
P.S i dont know if this might help, but after my graduation, I have planned to go back to my home country and continue my family's business.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Amir Seth
Hey guys..
I've been extremely stressed out these days, stuck in a dilemma of choosing a university. I will be studying for an undergraduate degree of Business Management coming September. Fortunately, I've received an offer from the university of edinburgh.I've been leaning towards University of Edinburgh for quite a while and i honestly do think it's a top university. As i live outside UK, the information that i can gather about University of Edinburgh is through league tables and rankings (which are incredibly confusing due to the fact that the rankings contradict each other) and research. It seems to have an excellent overall rankings. However, i couldn't help but notice that Business and Management rankings of the university isn't really that good, not of top quality. Is it really worth it to study business management in University of Edinburgh for four years? Is it well known for Business Management?
These universities have offered me for a place as well : Uni of Manchester, Warwick, Durham. I simply don't know what to do.
My criteria for choosing a university would be based on it's reputation, teaching quality, student environment, and whether i'd enjoy Edinburgh without TOO much stress. Is Edinburgh university really for me?
Of course ultimately, this will be my sole decision, however, recommendations and advices will be of HUGE help!
I look forward to your responses, a desperate and confused student in need of help here. :frown::frown::frown: I would also love responses from current business management students in university of Edinburgh to tell me how it is there!
Thank you so much!
P.S i dont know if this might help, but after my graduation, I have planned to go back to my home country and continue my family's business.

I know several business students having a really good time! I'm personally a law student, but I wouldn't worry. Honestly think hard about where you firm because its a big choice. I will say I have found Edinburgh to be amazing, it is such a good university and I've made great friends. The city itself is gorgeous, there is so much to do and I've had so much fun here. I hope some business students can tell you personally, but the ones I have spoken to are enjoying their course.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Ambry
I know several business students having a really good time! I'm personally a law student, but I wouldn't worry. Honestly think hard about where you firm because its a big choice. I will say I have found Edinburgh to be amazing, it is such a good university and I've made great friends. The city itself is gorgeous, there is so much to do and I've had so much fun here. I hope some business students can tell you personally, but the ones I have spoken to are enjoying their course.

Thank you so much for your input Ambry! Indeed i understand the importance of choosing the right university, and that's what i'm trying to do. :smile: I do hope that i make the right choice.
Yeah...that would be very helpful, hearing from the current Edinburgh business students. That's reassuring to hear that they're having a good time! I hope to hear from them too!
Reply 3
I would like to know also, Warwick vs Edinburgh for management studies. Edinburgh seems to be higher in the league tables but i heard warwick business school is highly reputed.
Reply 4
Original post by omar4
I would like to know also, Warwick vs Edinburgh for management studies. Edinburgh seems to be higher in the league tables but i heard warwick business school is highly reputed.

Well, as far as i have researched, it seems that while overall Edinburgh seems to stand out, Warwick business school seems to be better than Edinburgh's business school, owing to it's higher business rankings. so i guess its a decision between attending a school where the overall ranking is 'good', whilst it's business school tops the league tables and a schooll where the overall ranking is of top quality, while it's business school could only be catogorized as 'good'. thats what i have been struggling to choose. however, Edinburgh seems to have an excellent world-wide reputation, which gives edinburgh an edge when compared with warwick. hope it helps, my friend, and let me know which school you choose.
more responses for this post will be much appreciated and will be of HUGE help for me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I'd also like to say, Edinburgh has a lot of business related things going on - we have the trading and investment society that gets about £50k to invest in various industries, and it puts on a lot of good events! :biggrin: I'm sure Warwick and other unis will do stuff like this too, so keep an eye out for opportunities like that wherever you go :biggrin:
Reply 6
Well, as far as i have researched, it seems that while overall Edinburgh seems to stand out, Warwick business school seems to be better than Edinburgh's business school, owing to it's higher business rankings. so i guess its a decision between attending a school where the overall ranking is 'good', whilst it's business school tops the league tables and a schooll where the overall ranking is of top quality, while it's business school could only be catogorized as 'good'. thats what i have been struggling to choose. however, Edinburgh seems to have an excellent world-wide reputation, which gives edinburgh an edge when compared with warwick. hope it helps, my friend, and let me know which school you choose.
more responses for this post will be much appreciated and will be of HUGE help for me.

Thanks for the reply man.

Well i heard employers do keep in mind the standing of specific schools when hiring just like warwick business school is regarded better than edinburgh's. Manchester business school is also good, i got to know by a few people who have been there n overall its well known but im also interested in edinburgh for reasons that i've been told its beautiful and a really good city.

i havent applied there though becuz wbs is a highly reputed school so i probably will be finalizing it instead of the overall reputation of the university.
Besides anything else for business, Edinburgh's careers fair is maximally capitalist. Also, there are interesting student organisations on campus such as FreshSight which is a third party student led consultancy firm, which could offer good business experience. Edinburgh University Trading and Investment Club also has a port folio of £50,000, so getting involved with that can be valuable, they also have good employment links. My flatmate studies Business as part of his degree and finds it interesting, although he says he has learned more in practical terms about business from non-academic activities at Edinburgh.
Reply 8
Original post by Lorem Ipsum
Besides anything else for business, Edinburgh's careers fair is maximally capitalist. Also, there are interesting student organisations on campus such as FreshSight which is a third party student led consultancy firm, which could offer good business experience. Edinburgh University Trading and Investment Club also has a port folio of £50,000, so getting involved with that can be valuable, they also have good employment links. My flatmate studies Business as part of his degree and finds it interesting, although he says he has learned more in practical terms about business from non-academic activities at Edinburgh.

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions, my friend. :smile: I suppose i could join them when i get there to get more experience.
Which university, that i have listed, would you recommend me to go? thanks in advance. :smile:
Thank you very much for your input and suggestions, my friend. :smile: I suppose i could join them when i get there to get more experience.
Which university, that i have listed, would you recommend me to go? thanks in advance. :smile:

Edinburgh or Durham. But Edinburgh has a better international reputation and is a much better city, so Edinburgh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending