The Student Room Group

British Gas - Trainee smart meter expert

Scroll to see replies

Hi Allen

Im going for the Smart Meter Expert. Gas Qualified.

Will be nice to meet up with you.
Thanks
Original post by Jamiebg
Hi does anyone know what to wear to assessment day as we are doing a practice aswel .mi have my assesment day on the 23july in Leeds.

hello mate how did your interview go what questions did they ask you and did yiu do any tests
Original post by frenchwood
Hi Allen

Im going for the Smart Meter Expert. Gas Qualified.

Will be nice to meet up with you.
Thanks

yh am going for the same role, have you thought what they going to ask and what kind of tests we might have to do
ive no idea to be honest. but just prepare the best you can. i would recommend you think back to the personality question the you filled in online. there will be a few questions counteracting your answers in the questionaire.(see stobo's post)

aslo do a bit of research on smart meters and British gas as a company.

What part of England are you from by the way?

the tests should be pretty straight forward i should of thought.
Hi guys I have been reading some these posts about British gas, I have a telephone interview next Thursday for service and repair engineer. I have been practising questions for it. Just wanted to know if there was any more questions you got asked if anyone had phone call recently
Reply 45
Been following this thread for the last couple of weeks as it came up in Google when searching about the trainee smart metering assessment day. I have now been to the assessment day in Leeds, so if you want any questions asked about what we did, I would be happy to let you all know
Original post by stu646
Been following this thread for the last couple of weeks as it came up in Google when searching about the trainee smart metering assessment day. I have now been to the assessment day in Leeds, so if you want any questions asked about what we did, I would be happy to let you all know

Hi mate.
If I pass the telephone interview any information you could give me would be such a big help man.
Hope you respond thanks
Hi everyone. I used to work for British Gas for 8 years - now a mature student. If you have any questions about the company then let me know and I'll see if I can help!
Reply 48
Original post by Cummins1994
Hi mate.
If I pass the telephone interview any information you could give me would be such a big help man.
Hope you respond thanks

If you pass that mate you will be invited to a assessment day, I had to go to the one in Leeds. This is what happened for the assessment day ;

Arrived 12.45pm

All of us then sat in one room while two HR workers collected our documents we were told to take. Like your passport, driving licence ect.

We was then shown a 10 minute video about British Gas and how they see us all saving money in the future in regards to smart meters.

After this we were split in to two groups of 6. This is when the main assessment starts.

My group were told to stay in the main room and were given a group task. Each of us were handed some information about the task. It basically said we were going to fit a smart meter at a ladies house but on the phone said was asking about how to save some money and also raised the issue that her house felt draughty.

Included in the information was a list energy saving methods we could offer her while there. All of these had the price it would cost her and how much she would save per year by doing it. We all had 10 minutes to sit and read through this before the task started.

As a group we had to openly discuss what we would say to the customer about saving energy, what ways she could go about saying energy, the benefit of each option and how much she would save. While you are doing this task, you have two HR people sitting behind marking you down on what you say or don't say. Luckily the 6 lads I were with were really good and no one took the lead or talked over one another, we each had a good amount to say.

I personally found this task not to bad but you have 15 minutes to do the task and it felt a little to long as we had all said what was needed in about 10 minutes.

Once that was done we were taking to a holding room, with the other 6 and this is quite good as you get to talk about what they have done and what to expect.

Next for me was a colour blind test, very easy this. You look though a book and just say what numbers you see. This lasted less than a minute. You also then sign a couple of consent forms after.

After another 10 minutes in the holding room I was sent for my interview. In the interview room was a British Gas manager and a note taker. This lasted around 30 odd minutes and was pretty relaxed. As for the questions, this is what he asked ;

Tell me when you have been in a situation with a customer who has been very angry. Why was they angry? How did you calm the situation? What was the outcome?

Tell me a time when you have been a perfectionist in a role? Why did you feel the need to be a perfectionist in that role? Did this cause you any problems, if so why?

When have you ever taken anything apart? Why did you do this? How did you find doing it? Did you have to follow a diagram?

He then just asked a couple of quick questions regarding if I have ever used tools before, how I like to plan a day out and if I had any questions.

Other people were asked this question ;

Tell me what a normal day would involve being a smart meter engineer for British Gas?

Once again, I was then placed back in the holding room to wait to be called for the last part of the assessment. Which is the practical task.

You go in to a room, there was 3 of us at time doing this, you go to a desk where you have a meter board with a henley block and two earth blocks which look like this ;

http://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/images/webupload/products/earth-block-8-way_5523_1_small.jpg

http://www.wt-henley.com/images/product-insulated_connector_box_1.png

Also on the table are the tools you need to complete the task, including wire cutters, which are a pain to use. Also you have some cable on the table, blue wire, brown and two sizes of earth cable. You will be given a very simple diagram and have to follow it within the 30 minutes given to do the task. All you have to do is a have two bits of blue cable going from the henley block down to the earth blocks. Then some more blue cable and the two earth cable going from earth block to the other.

Just make sure you follow the diagram as you have to screw the cable in to the right hole on each block as there are 8 holes on each side. They are more bothered that you follow the diagram and use the right cable then trying to hurry to finish in time.

So that is basically it, we finished at just after 5pm, so it was quite a long day and I was happy to get back in my car! None of the tasks were hard but having to spend 4 hours being assessed and for me personally, being uncomfortable wearing a suit for that amount of time!
Original post by stu646
If you pass that mate you will be invited to a assessment day, I had to go to the one in Leeds. This is what happened for the assessment day ;

Arrived 12.45pm

All of us then sat in one room while two HR workers collected our documents we were told to take. Like your passport, driving licence ect.

We was then shown a 10 minute video about British Gas and how they see us all saving money in the future in regards to smart meters.

After this we were split in to two groups of 6. This is when the main assessment starts.

My group were told to stay in the main room and were given a group task. Each of us were handed some information about the task. It basically said we were going to fit a smart meter at a ladies house but on the phone said was asking about how to save some money and also raised the issue that her house felt draughty.

Included in the information was a list energy saving methods we could offer her while there. All of these had the price it would cost her and how much she would save per year by doing it. We all had 10 minutes to sit and read through this before the task started.

As a group we had to openly discuss what we would say to the customer about saving energy, what ways she could go about saying energy, the benefit of each option and how much she would save. While you are doing this task, you have two HR people sitting behind marking you down on what you say or don't say. Luckily the 6 lads I were with were really good and no one took the lead or talked over one another, we each had a good amount to say.

I personally found this task not to bad but you have 15 minutes to do the task and it felt a little to long as we had all said what was needed in about 10 minutes.

Once that was done we were taking to a holding room, with the other 6 and this is quite good as you get to talk about what they have done and what to expect.

Next for me was a colour blind test, very easy this. You look though a book and just say what numbers you see. This lasted less than a minute. You also then sign a couple of consent forms after.

After another 10 minutes in the holding room I was sent for my interview. In the interview room was a British Gas manager and a note taker. This lasted around 30 odd minutes and was pretty relaxed. As for the questions, this is what he asked ;

Tell me when you have been in a situation with a customer who has been very angry. Why was they angry? How did you calm the situation? What was the outcome?

Tell me a time when you have been a perfectionist in a role? Why did you feel the need to be a perfectionist in that role? Did this cause you any problems, if so why?

When have you ever taken anything apart? Why did you do this? How did you find doing it? Did you have to follow a diagram?

He then just asked a couple of quick questions regarding if I have ever used tools before, how I like to plan a day out and if I had any questions.

Other people were asked this question ;

Tell me what a normal day would involve being a smart meter engineer for British Gas?

Once again, I was then placed back in the holding room to wait to be called for the last part of the assessment. Which is the practical task.

You go in to a room, there was 3 of us at time doing this, you go to a desk where you have a meter board with a henley block and two earth blocks which look like this ;

http://www.rselectricalsupplies.co.uk/images/webupload/products/earth-block-8-way_5523_1_small.jpg

http://www.wt-henley.com/images/product-insulated_connector_box_1.png

Also on the table are the tools you need to complete the task, including wire cutters, which are a pain to use. Also you have some cable on the table, blue wire, brown and two sizes of earth cable. You will be given a very simple diagram and have to follow it within the 30 minutes given to do the task. All you have to do is a have two bits of blue cable going from the henley block down to the earth blocks. Then some more blue cable and the two earth cable going from earth block to the other.

Just make sure you follow the diagram as you have to screw the cable in to the right hole on each block as there are 8 holes on each side. They are more bothered that you follow the diagram and use the right cable then trying to hurry to finish in time.

So that is basically it, we finished at just after 5pm, so it was quite a long day and I was happy to get back in my car! None of the tasks were hard but having to spend 4 hours being assessed and for me personally, being uncomfortable wearing a suit for that amount of time!

Sounds like you had a good day thanks for all the heads ups on it couldn't of really asked for much more. Good luck mate hope it goes well for you let me know how you get on
Reply 50
Same as above I was there on the 11th of Aug at 1.00pm interview. Did not do very well in the face to face interview but did OK at the practical and group session. I am hoping it's a over all score of the day and not just on the interview. Still waiting to hear if I passed or not but I am not holding my breath on getting a training placement. Will let you know tomorrow if I hear anything. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Domfaux
Same as above I was there on the 11th of Aug at 1.00pm interview. Did not do very well in the face to face interview but did OK at the practical and group session. I am hoping it's a over all score of the day and not just on the interview. Still waiting to hear if I passed or not but I am not holding my breath on getting a training placement. Will let you know tomorrow if I hear anything. :smile:

Was with you then mate, as mine was Tuesday aftenoon as well.

Was hoping we would of heard by now, not sure why it takes them this long to add up scores to see who passes ect.
Good luck guys
Reply 53
Add us on Facebook Stu ....Dominic faux let me know how you got on...:wink:
Let me know when you guys find out.
Wonder how many places they have got in each area
Reply 55
I had my assessment day on 29tg July, had a call RE my feedback and I was told I passed everything with flying colours but I still haven't been offered a job.

I was told more people passed than they were expecting so to give them a couple of weeks and they will be in touch about the next step. Still waiting for the call!
Interesting wonder what there going to do
Reply 57
Did not get the job but then again I actually know how to do the job, have past experience in doing meter work but I am over 30, so they have no interest.
Original post by stu646
Did not get the job but then again I actually know how to do the job, have past experience in doing meter work but I am over 30, so they have no interest.

Sorry to hear you didnt get the job mate. my interview was on the 12th pm. does that mean i should find out tomorrow?
Any updates?
Sorry to hear about that stu.

Quick Reply

Latest