The Student Room Group

Relationship between wearing glasses and intelligence?

Anyone think whether there is a relationship?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jiaaaaaa

No

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I don't wear glasses and I'm stupid
No
Correlation has been noted between myopia and high non-verbal IQ, and one which apparently high volume of reading can only explain a small part of.

http://iovs.arvojournals.org/article.aspx?articleid=2163349

The nature of the relationship, though, is as yet uncertain.
This is just a coincidence.

You should watch this scientific explanation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RVde2CEwmA
Reply 7
Used to.
Yes, but not in the way that you would imagine.

I have always had a theory that there is a link, and its to do with the fact that people like to stereotype, and so people with glasses maybe on a whole haven't been as popular as "normal" people (IN THE PAST), and so they would concentrate on education more in the past, with less distraction from social interactions.

My guess would be that this would translate into their children, fostering the same attitude toward education as they had, and so it became more about the upbringing of the child then actual heightened intelligence.

I don't believe that people that wear glasses are necessarily more intelligent, but I think they have - in general - a better attitude toward education/more focus on sensible matters when growing up.

..Or I could just be talking out my ass :smile:

BTW I don't wear glasses whatsoever, just an idea that has always struck me.

Disclaimer: Nothing I said has been proven atall, just theorizing.
Reply 9
Original post by kka25
Used to.

I have noticed this for a while now. It seems that most people in my school who tend to have the best scores wear glasses…

why 'used to' and not now?

Reply 10
I have noticed this for a while now. It seems that most people in my school who tend to have the best scores wear glasses…

why 'used to' and not now?

Well, it can be just hereditary really; some people are just born with bad eyesights.

I used to see them as intelligent because that's what a stereotypical smart person looked like to me; wearing glasses with books. Nowadays it's just another form of vanity really.
Reply 11
Original post by Best of Luck
Yes, but not in the way that you would imagine.

I have always had a theory that there is a link, and its to do with the fact that people like to stereotype, and so people with glasses maybe on a whole haven't been as popular as "normal" people (IN THE PAST), and so they would concentrate on education more in the past, with less distraction from social interactions.

My guess would be that this would translate into their children, fostering the same attitude toward education as they had, and so it became more about the upbringing of the child then actual heightened intelligence.

I don't believe that people that wear glasses are necessarily more intelligent, but I think they have - in general - a better attitude toward education/more focus on sensible matters when growing up.

..Or I could just be talking out my ass :smile:

BTW I don't wear glasses whatsoever, just an idea that has always struck me.

Disclaimer: Nothing I said has been proven atall, just theorizing.

ahaha no i agree! Although I do wear glasses, that does not necessarily make me (or those who do) wear glasses more intelligent than others (in my opinion). I was just curious whether there could possibly a relationship.
I think everything has a knock on effect, better up bringing is linked to a better disposition/better future prospects, it makes sense really.

I think people get a little stubborn and annoyed when its such an outright statement such as "Are people with glasses more intelligent?", whereas the question should be something like "Does wearing glasses have any effect on our upbringing and if so, how?"

But then that's the same thing as "Does wearing green shoes have any effect on our upbringing and if so, how?" where you could replace it with anything, and it would remain a question that is near impossible to answer.
I wear glasses and wouldn't say I am very intelligent.
None
BAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

look at all the spectacle-wearing geeks come out of the woodworks and claim they are supposedly intelligent because of nothing more than an accessory.
Reply 16
If there was a definite relationship between wearing glasses and intelligence, the world wouldn't have to suffer from the consequences caused by stupid people. Including people who wear glasses not because they have problems with their eyesight but more to the extent of looking fashionable. :cool:
Can't comment on IQ-intelligence but

Glasses=Bad eyes, probably from reading=Educated

Yeah my intellect relates to my glasses
Whilst I don't think there is a relationship between wearing glasses and intelligence, I think glasses are stereotypical of a smart person, in that having glasses makes a person seem more intelligent and focused.

Quick Reply

Latest