The Student Room Group

Labour Tuition Fee Reduction

Hi - I'm sure many of you are aware that Labour intend to reduce the tuition fee to £6,000 per year if they win the election. I am just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this:
I am starting (hopefully) my first year in October this year which I will have to pay £9,000 for. However, if they do win do you know if I will get the benefit of this decrease for my second or third year or am I in some sort of 'contract' to pay the old £9,000 for the whole time?
Reply 1
You won't see the benefit of this until you start earning over £21000 after university. Even then it will just seem like a tax on your income and it is just slightly less to pay off in you lifetime (presuming you manage to pay it off within 30 years anyway).

Don't let this sway your decision to vote Labour - it is just Miliband trying to grab votes from students!
Hi :smile:
You will probably still have to continue paying the £9000 as they won't backdate it all - and you'll have to wait for the idea to become a bill and then a law so you will be well into your degree when that happens
It was a similar story when the fees were increased; those who only paid £3000 per year continues to pay that even when the new entrants paid the £9000
Don't think about that yet anyway - they may not even win the election and if they do the bill needs a majority in order to be passed!
Reply 3
Original post by Oraeng
You won't see the benefit of this until you start earning over £21000 after university. Even then it will just seem like a tax on your income and it is just slightly less to pay off in you lifetime (presuming you manage to pay it off within 30 years anyway).

Don't let this sway your decision to vote Labour - it is just Miliband trying to grab votes from students!

A computer science degree from a top uni is probably the most likely degree to make you pay it all back. Traditionally haven't the majority of students voted Labour anyway?
Reply 4
Original post by TVIO
A computer science degree from a top uni is probably the most likely degree to make you pay it all back. Traditionally haven't the majority of students voted Labour anyway?

That's probably true, but the vast majority of people who are on a fairly average wage won't ever pay it all back.
Yes they do, however OP and others may be undecided so I am just voicing my opinion that reduced tuition fees is just bait which probably won't influence any part of their life in the future.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending