The Student Room Group

What realistic chances do i have of getting into Oxford for PPE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by suhofficial
Is this seriously true that i have a better chance of getting into Yale or Harvard, than i do of getting into Oxford?

Yes. You'd have a better chance getting in at Harvard imo
Original post by midgemeister7
Yes. You'd have a better chance getting in at Harvard imo

How much higher chance would i have of getting into Harvard or Yale, than oxford or Cambridge?
Hello, I am currently studying my A levels and am in year 12, aged 17. Alongside my education, i set up and run my own organisation campaigning for peace human rights, justice and education around the world. For this, i have also visited Auschwitz in the past 2 months. I have gained international recognition for this work, have been nominated for the international children peace prize 2015 award. I have also been invited to 10 downing street recently by the Prime minister at a reception. A few months ago, i was also invited to address the house of lords, where i addressed all he lords. I am leading a campaign now to build a few schools and provide education to those who are unfortunate around the world. So far, i have gained letters of support from 25 MP's and many government ministers. You can view more about my work on our website: Movementforpeaceglobal.org.

As well as my work through activism, i have terrible GCSE grades, i got 2A's and 5 C's, A's only in IT and urdu. At AS, i am studying IT, Urdu, Applied science and business studies. I think that i may get BBBC or ABBC a AS level. I have had a child long dream to get into Oxford university to study PPE as i have immense passion for that subject. Would Oxford take a look at my work and leadership away from my academics and consider me for PPE. What are my actual chances of getting into PPE at oxford? Would it be worth me applying to Oxford? What are the minimum grades that i must achieve at As level or A level to make sure that i get a firm offer from Oxford? Thank you.

If this is true then you're too good for oxford :')
Original post by Guills on wheels
If this is true then you're too good for oxford :')

It is true, i have evidence of all this work, if i get an interview at oxford than i would take down all the documents and show them everything, including the invite from the Prime minister.
How much higher chance would i have of getting into Harvard or Yale, than oxford or Cambridge?

A lot higher than the 0% chance you'd have for Oxbridge, that's the reality
It is true, i have evidence of all this work, if i get an interview at oxford than i would take down all the documents and show them everything, including the invite from the Prime minister.

Just looked at the Int. Children's Peace Prize, anyone can be nominated lol, I could get my mum to nominate me if I wanted to.... - not to detract from your other great work!

Then I'd even question the need to go to such a prestigious uni. I think for you it might be better to try somewhere with a smaller workload where you can enjoy yourself for three years; the degree is inconsequential since you've already started this.

Having said that, it is your decision.
Reply 27

You could cure cancer and the PPE tutors wouldn't be influenced enough to give you an offer. As other people have said, you'd have much better luck with top Ivies who take extra-curricular things into consideration.
oh! i have many advisers who went to cambridge and said that if i get one A and the rest B's, i have a very strong chance to get in, as my work outside would balance everything

Oxford and Cambridge representatives came to my school and Cambridge do care a bit, however Oxford are quite academically stringent. I am applying to Cambridge myself (for law) and I have to do work experience as well as get perfect grades. If you can get AAAB then maybe you've got a chance for PPE because of extenuating circumstances however there are plenty of other good universities that offer it. Also, the average Oxford candidate has 80% A*s.
Original post by Guills on wheels
Then I'd even question the need to go to such a prestigious uni. I think for you it might be better to try somewhere with a smaller workload where you can enjoy yourself for three years; the degree is inconsequential since you've already started this.

Having said that, it is your decision.

I really want to do well academically as well the work i have on the side
Original post by Noble.
You could cure cancer and the PPE tutors wouldn't be influenced enough to give you an offer. As other people have said, you'd have much better luck with top Ivies who take extra-curricular things into consideration.

Do yale or harvard definitely take extra curricular into consideration?
Reply 31
Do yale or harvard definitely take extra curricular into consideration?

American universities are generally more interested in extra-curricular activities than their UK counterparts or so we're told!
Is this seriously true that i have a better chance of getting into Yale or Harvard, than i do of getting into Oxford?

I believe so. Whenever Oxford people have given talks in our school they have literally said "We only want academic people" and they don't care about extra curriculars. Whereas in the US, they care about academics but also really care about your extra curriculars. Seriously, try Oxford but I believe you're way more likely to be accepted at US unis, even the top US unis.
oh! i have many advisers who went to cambridge and said that if i get one A and the rest B's, i have a very strong chance to get in, as my work outside would balance everything
Don't listen to those 'advisers.' they obviously don't know what they're talking about, IF those 'advisers who went to Cambridge' really exist, which I really doubt. You were told many times on the identical thread you made on Cambridge side that Cambridge did not care about extra-curricular things at all and your grades are too low, even for top US unis. I understand your passion but you're not doing any good for yourself. Please don't kid yourself.
Original post by cleverasvoltaire
Oxford and Cambridge representatives came to my school and Cambridge do care a bit, however Oxford are quite academically stringent. I am applying to Cambridge myself (for law) and I have to do work experience as well as get perfect grades. If you can get AAAB then maybe you've got a chance for PPE because of extenuating circumstances however there are plenty of other good universities that offer it. Also, the average Oxford candidate has 80% A*s.
Cambridge are not interested in extra-curricular unless it's related to the subject you're applying for (called super-curricular).
Original post by vincrows
Don't listen to those 'advisers.' they obviously don't know what they're talking about, IF those 'advisers who went to Cambridge' really exist, which I really doubt. You were told many times on the identical thread you made on Cambridge side that Cambridge did not care about extra-curricular things at all and your grades are too low, even for top US unis. I understand your passion but you're not doing any good for yourself. Please don't kid yourself.

Do I have any chance to get into Warwick?
Do I have any chance to get into Warwick?

I'm not their admission tutor. You'll have to ask them I'm afraid.
Hello, I am currently studying my A levels and am in year 12, aged 17. Alongside my education, i set up and run my own organisation campaigning for peace human rights, justice and education around the world. For this, i have also visited Auschwitz in the past 2 months. I have gained international recognition for this work, have been nominated for the international children peace prize 2015 award. I have also been invited to 10 downing street recently by the Prime minister at a reception. A few months ago, i was also invited to address the house of lords, where i addressed all he lords. I am leading a campaign now to build a few schools and provide education to those who are unfortunate around the world. So far, i have gained letters of support from 25 MP's and many government ministers. You can view more about my work on our website: Movementforpeaceglobal.org.

As well as my work through activism, i have terrible GCSE grades, i got 2A's and 5 C's, A's only in IT and urdu. At AS, i am studying IT, Urdu, Applied science and business studies. I think that i may get BBBC or ABBC a AS level. I have had a child long dream to get into Oxford university to study PPE as i have immense passion for that subject. Would Oxford take a look at my work and leadership away from my academics and consider me for PPE. What are my actual chances of getting into PPE at oxford? Would it be worth me applying to Oxford? What are the minimum grades that i must achieve at As level or A level to make sure that i get a firm offer from Oxford? Thank you.

Hey. I am currently in my second year of PPE at Oxford.

Your extra-curriculum is truly outstanding and will be impressive on your UCAS application. It will make you distinctive from any other applicant in all of your 5 university choices.

The problem is your grades. Aside from GCSEs which can be relativised as personal circumstances, your AS level grades are poor. My advice is this: abandon all of your non-academic activities for now as you have more than enough already and focus on getting straight A's.

I personally had no extra curriculum on my UCAS application and got here solely on high grades out of Finnish state school and high score on the aptitude test.

I'd still apply if I was in your position, you have 5 university choices so you can take 3 risky ones and 2 relatively safe ones.

Remember that PPE is first and foremost an academic qualification and not a political passport. You are here to learn and develop, not to join the political class and start your career. Make sure you compensate for this in your UCAS personal statement.
I am confident that if i make the interview page, i will make it, as i naturally good with interviews. This is because i regular have interviews with the press. Is there anyway that i can make the interview phrase.

To make it to the interview you need to be shortlisted on the bases of grades and your TSA score. This is the point.
Reply 39

No. Also, bear it in mind that Urdu probably won't be counted if it's your native language and Applied Science and Businesses Studies are not really accepted by high ranking universities.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending