The Student Room Group

Unit 4 - concepts of law (morality help)

I need help on how to structure my law and morality essay, I'm quite stuck and how do you define the terms 'law' and 'morality'

The question that I'm trying to do is
Explain the meaning of law and morality. Discuss whether the law does and should seek to uphold moral principles? (30+5m) June 2014

Any help will be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Anyone???
Reply 2
Original post by smiah1
I need help on how to structure my law and morality essay, I'm quite stuck and how do you define the terms 'law' and 'morality'

The question that I'm trying to do is
Explain the meaning of law and morality. Discuss whether the law does and should seek to uphold moral principles? (30+5m) June 2014

Any help will be appreciated :smile:

So to define the terms law and morality keep it short, it's only worth a couple of marks. I say Sir John Salmond defined law as 'a body of principles recognised and applied by the state in the administration of justice'. For morality, Phil Harris defined it as a set of beliefs, values, principles and standards of behaviour.

As for structure:

- Define law and morality
- Talk about similarities e.g. the overlap of law and morals in terms of the Ten Commandments
- Talk about how the law has updated as society's morals have shifted in terms of attitudes to homosexuality+abortion
- Explain how some laws possess no moral content e.g. strict liability
- Explain positivists and natural law theorists approaches to law+morals
- Explain the divergence between law and morality e.g. usually no liability for omission in English law contradicts the idea of being a good Samaritan, discuss illegality of euthanasia and assisted suicide
-Hart/Devlin debate
-Conclude

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by TredreaV
So to define the terms law and morality keep it short, it's only worth a couple of marks. I say Sir John Salmond defined law as 'a body of principles recognised and applied by the state in the administration of justice'. For morality, Phil Harris defined it as a set of beliefs, values, principles and standards of behaviour.

As for structure:

- Define law and morality
- Talk about similarities e.g. the overlap of law and morals in terms of the Ten Commandments
- Talk about how the law has updated as society's morals have shifted in terms of attitudes to homosexuality+abortion
- Explain how some laws possess no moral content e.g. strict liability
- Explain positivists and natural law theorists approaches to law+morals
- Explain the divergence between law and morality e.g. usually no liability for omission in English law contradicts the idea of being a good Samaritan, discuss illegality of euthanasia and assisted suicide
-Hart/Devlin debate
-Conclude

:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending