The Student Room Group

Black youth culture is dangerous?

For the past few days, I've been investigating as to why there's a minority of black individuals in this country where the relative proportion of blacks in prison very much outweighs many other racial denominations.

I've very much been focusing my attention to black youth culture and how they have chosen to represent themselves in the masses. I've come across several artists such as the likes of J Hus (from East London) for example in which his lyrics actively encite violence and things prohibited in UK law. I've had a friend at university decipher some of his lyrics so I can understand the general ongoings of his lyrics.

[video="youtube;W9tHnlAJjFg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tHnlAJjFg[/video]

In this song we hear bars such as:

"I'll be grafted posted on the corner, like a low life.." - I'll be at a specific location which is where I distribute my produce (narcotics).

"Copped a big dotty, I'm just tryna survive" - I have bought a somewhat sizeable gun for purposes of self-protection.

"Manna poke him up, like a vodoo doll"
- I will stab the opposing party, as easily as I would stab a vodoo doll (some sort of wooly toy).

Do you think these verses should be somewhat prohibited as it doesn't benefit society at all. A lot of black students, even at my university listen to similar sorts of tunes which I find very uncomforting and distasteful and it has become engrained into the minds of young black people.

That being said, the tune's hard!

Scroll to see replies

you're moist.
"That being said, the tune's hard!"
Reply 3
Original post by James E Walker
For the past few days, I've been investigating as to why there's a minority of black individuals in this country where the relative proportion of blacks in prison very much outweighs many other racial denominations.

I've very much been focusing my attention to black youth culture and how they have chosen to represent themselves in the masses. I've come across several artists such as the likes of J Hus (from East London) for example in which his lyrics actively encite violence and things prohibited in UK law. I've had a friend at university decipher some of his lyrics so I can understand the general ongoings of his lyrics.

[video="youtube;W9tHnlAJjFg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9tHnlAJjFg[/video]

In this song we hear bars such as:

"I'll be grafted posted on the corner, like a low life.." - I'll be at a specific location which is where I distribute my produce (narcotics).

"Copped a big dotty, I'm just tryna survive" - I have bought a somewhat sizeable gun for purposes of self-protection.

"Manna poke him up, like a vodoo doll"
- I will stab the opposing party, as easily as I would stab a vodoo doll (some sort of wooly toy).

Do you think these verses should be somewhat prohibited as it doesn't benefit society at all. A lot of black students, even at my university listen to similar sorts of tunes which I find very uncomforting and distasteful and it has become engrained into the minds of young black people.

I dont think there are more blacks in prison than white tbh.. any sources for your information? Also not sure what youre describing is black youth culture, as not all black youth "spit bars".. do you integrate with black people at all? There are "thugs" in all races.. what is white youth culture to you then? Or asian youth culture?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
I dont think there are more blacks in prison than white tbh.. any sources for your information? Also not sure what youre describing is black youth culture, as not all black youth "spit bars".. do you integrate with black people at all? There are "thugs" in all races.. what is white youth culture to you then? Or asian youth culture?

Posted from TSR Mobile

With regards to prison, black people as a ratio of black people in britain. So it's all relative.
Reply 5
With regards to prison, black people as a ratio of black people in britain. So it's all relative.

Please post links

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by T.I.P
None of this backs up your claims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, given this response I very much doubt that you've read through them. It's pretty evident in the UK the relative ratio of black inmates to black population size is greater than other races.

Black inmates in UK as a relative proportion of all races: 13.7%
Black populatin in UK: 3.01%

White inmates in UK as a relative proportion of all races: 72.0%
White Population in UK: 87.17%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom

A little bit of maths can show you the proportion there, if you need some clarification.
Reply 9
Yes, given this response I very much doubt that you've read through them. It's pretty evident in the UK the relative ratio of black inmates to black population size is greater than other races.

Black inmates in UK as a relative proportion of all races: 13.7%
Black populatin in UK: 3.01%

White inmates in UK as a relative proportion of all races: 72.0%
White Population in UK: 87.17%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_the_United_Kingdom

A little bit of maths can show you the proportion there, if you need some clarification.

First state the figures of the total prison population then the total population of blacks. I cant read ALL that as Im on my phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
also worth pointing out that black people commit over 50% of street crime in London despite making up 10% of the population: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html (and no, the cause isnt 'poverty' - Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are poorer than blacks on average, yet commit far less crime)

I think anyone who has actually lived in an area with a high black population (rather than living in exclusively white towns/suburbs while sneering at 'racists') knows the answer to the OPs question.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
First state the figures of the total prison population then the total population of blacks. I cant read ALL that as Im on my phone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've put them up in percentages. You can get onto a computer and revisit this thread.
Original post by poohat
also worth pointing out that black people commit over 50% of street crime in London despite making up 10% of the population: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/7856787/Violent-inner-city-crime-the-figures-and-a-question-of-race.html (and no, the cause isnt 'poverty' - Pakistanis and Bangladeshis are poorer than blacks on average, yet commit far less crime)
The cause of crime cannot be reduced to any single variable (page 25), but greater exposure to certain inauspicious variables (especially multiple) is likely to lead to criminal activity. Simple bivariate analyses should never be used as 'proof' in an issue as complex as crime. The implication that some inherent component (never specified, of course, but often implied) in black people is in any way influential is unfounded.

I think anyone who has actually lived in an area with a high black population (rather than living in exclusively white towns/suburbs while sneering at 'racists') knows the answer to the OPs question.
Young people who glorify/engage in criminal acts are present in all deprived urban areas, including predominately white ones like Glasgow and Liverpool. Unless you're suggesting the causes and characteristics of their youth crime/gang problems are completely distinct to the causes and characteristics of London's problems, simply because the ethnic composition has changed? Because simple observation—which is something you seem to promote—suggests otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
A lot of black students, even at my university listen to similar sorts of tunes which I find very uncomforting and distasteful and it has become engrained into the minds of young black people.

I'm struggling to reconcile these components of your argument.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Protégé
"That being said, the tune's hard!"
Exactly. People also like GTA V and death metal, but it doesn't mean they personally agree with or re-enact the themes depicted in these productions.
I think the environment plays a major role in the mind set of an individual, albeit East London isn't what I would call "ghetto" it is none the less an urban community where some youths live in poverty e.g:council estates, benifits, single mums etc.

So the majority of the time being surrounded by such negativity can have a detrimental effect on a persons upbringing.

That being said I also think youths are being brain washed to a be certain caricature of this "gangsters lifestyle" that they see in the entertainment industry, although their life may not be in turmoil, the buzz or excitement of being involved in this played out life style that most black inner city kids choose to emulate is based on hype more than anything.
Sigh.
All these big time gangster rappers are signed to companies and labels owned and distributed from and published by an industry run by white men anyway :colonhash: And most of the people at many of these concerts are privileged white youth or simply white cultural enthusiasts. And most of these lyrics are llliieeess. They're simply mass appealling images (they certainly don't appeal to me anymore) made up by "artists" with limited vocabulary and talent; so they resort to the same basic rubbish trash "music":

"mannaman smoke,
mannaman drink,
mannaman don't give a **** what you think.
Punch him in the face,
shoot him in the back,
drive my big whip straight down to the trap.
Sell that crack,
sell that smack,
don't give a ****.
brap brap brap!!" :colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash::colonhash: Took me literally 5 secs to write that. Put a "hard beat" underneath, I get a million bucks. Whoop dee. :colonhash:

I assure you it's all lies and reflective of no actual society since the songs come from nothing honest.

However, yes, stats & some things I'm constantly witnessing or being exposed to or made aware of in my immediate society or the news are overwhelmingly typical yada yada when it comes to who's committing what crimes, and why they're doing it. But whoever gets their education about any race from a video on Youtube...:curious:, really guy? :colonhash: Go to bed :lol:
gotta love a bit of black culture.... some of it is ridiculous though....

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991
gotta love a bit of black culture.... some of it is ridiculous though....

Sigh. How is trash rap black culture? :facepalm2:

Eh well. Maybe it is. If black people want credit for pioneering rap, thus making rap culturally black, they're gonna have to take credit for the trash in the genre going on today, even if it's starkly diff than the rap in the earlier days.

However, as honestly common it is to see black people emulating the content of this...song...other people in other races emulate it too! :unimpressed:

So is it still black culture? :dontknow:

Latest