The Student Room Group

Universities declining. Nottingham, kcl etc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Broscientist
Is he a Durham student?

No, I think he was applying to Newcastle, and he may be a scot.
Original post by studyworm
That explains a lot then.
The Nottingham troll can't accept that the university is a more important institution for the UK than Durham. Nottingham's reach and influence is global, they could one day become another UCL, although they must also watch their progress in the UK rankings.

How am I a troll? Am I making fictitious claims? I guess the truth hurts :rolleyes: You really do have an inferiority complex... I have no idea why you brought up either UCL or Durham. I pity your insecurity.

LOL I have no idea how you reached this conclusion but whatever you like to think :smile:

That explains a lot then.

No idea what you're trying to infer by this, but the average entrant to Newcastle is no different to one at Nottingham so get off your high horse.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by C_Richards99
Again, your motives are unclear. The majority of your posts are dedicated to bashing Nottingham. You seem almost obsessed by it. Going to every thread where Nottingham is mentioned.

Who is insecure again?
Again, your motives are unclear. The majority of your posts are dedicated to bashing Nottingham. You seem almost obsessed by it. Going to every thread where Nottingham is mentioned.

Who is insecure again?

Yes, that's because you Nottingham students are going about bashing every university that is compared to Nottingham like it's the next best thing after the G5. And I would hardly say that I'm going about every thread where Nottingham is mentioned unless you don't know how to count - but I'm not gonna expect much from you :smile:

You're insecure. I have never boasted about any one university, I have only made comparisons of universities against Nottingham. This is only when you guys make snide comments about other universities and act like Nottingham is the leading UK university internationally when its 171st in THE rankings (behind another 23 UK universities).

If you guys would stop spreading misinformation and stop boasting so much about Nottingham then I would have no qualms with any of you.
KCL is 46 on the Guardian rankings...
KCL is 46 on the Times WORLD ranking.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Yes, that's because you Nottingham students are going about bashing every university that is compared to Nottingham like it's the next best thing after the G5. And I would hardly say that I'm going about every thread where Nottingham is mentioned unless you don't know how to count - but I'm not gonna expect much from you :smile:

You're insecure. I have never boasted about any one university, I have only made comparisons of universities against Nottingham. This is only when you guys make snide comments about other universities and act like Nottingham is the leading UK university internationally when its 171st in THE rankings (behind another 23 UK universities).

If you guys would stop spreading misinformation and stop boasting so much about Nottingham then I would have no qualms with any of you.
People don't just go to a university's forum just to start bashing it. Obviously your motives extend further than what you would like to admit.

Why do you ingore the QS ranking? The AWRU ranking? The employer rankings?

When it comes to THE ranking, Bath is ranked 301-350. Does that mean it is a terrible university? As I have already stated, go back to your troll cave.
People don't just go to a university's forum just to start bashing it. Obviously your motives extend further than what you would like to admit.

Why do you ingore the QS ranking? The AWRU ranking? The employer rankings?

When it comes to THE ranking, Bath is ranked 301-350. Does that mean it is a terrible university? As I have already stated, go back to your troll cave.

Hmm and what do you reckon those motives are?? Am I perhaps bitter about my non-existent rejection from Nottingham? Or is it because I'm sick of all the ego-centric posts boasting about Nottingham and slating every other university?

I am hardly ignoring those rankings - I've even mentioned them in my past comment if you care enough to peruse through it :smile: It's falling in the QS rankings and if you look at the REF which ranks research, it only placed 26th (by GPA) and it will be unable to maintain its high reputation amongst employers if its intake is not that selective.

No, Bath is a better university than Nottingham (as reflected in all three domestic rankings).

Still have no idea why I'm called a troll - because my opinion doesn't align with your over-inflated view of your alma matter? :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hmm and what do you reckon those motives are?? Am I perhaps bitter about my non-existent rejection from Nottingham? Or is it because I'm sick of all the ego-centric posts boasting about Nottingham and slating every other university?

I am hardly ignoring those rankings - I've even mentioned them in my past comment if you care enough to peruse through it :smile: It's falling in the QS rankings and if you look at the REF which ranks research, it only placed 26th (by GPA) and it will be unable to maintain its high reputation amongst employers if its intake is not that selective.

No, Bath is a better university than Nottingham (as reflected in all three domestic rankings).

Still have no idea why I'm called a troll - because my opinion doesn't align with your over-inflated view of your alma matter? :rolleyes:

Nottingham is ranked 8th for REF Research Power. Now be off, before you get chased off. It wouldn't surprise me if a university started legal proceedings against you.

Mate, just give up. You aren't at uni yet, you've insulted me without knowing my personal circumstance, and you continue to spread nonsense based on some rankings you saw.

If all this stuff makes you feel like a king, I'm sure there are better methods of getting the same result - for example actually working hard to get places.

So, with that, I urge you to stop harassing me and my fellow future classmates - cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm and what do you reckon those motives are?? Am I perhaps bitter about my non-existent rejection from Nottingham? Or is it because I'm sick of all your ego-centric posts boasting about Nottingham and slating every other university?
If anyone is slating a university - it's you. Pretty sure you are the only drone in the entire TSR forums who is butthurt enough to go to a university's forum to bash it there.

You bring up an international ranking and you immediately back-track after I point out some inconsistencies in your arguments... Then you return to the domestic rankings - where Nottingham is ranked higher than Manchester. So by your original argument in this thread, I assume Nottingham is better than Manchester (which you stated to be a good university)?

Come back to me when you don't contradict yourself every 2 posts and when you realise that there is more to universities than rankings.

The explanation of your motives is still bare-bones. You definitely have beef with Nottingham and/or Nottingham students, which makes all of your posts less credible.
Nottingham is ranked 8th for REF Research Power. Now be off, before you get chased off. It wouldn't surprise me if a university started legal proceedings against you.

Yeh let's conveniently ignore the GPA rankings (which will actually determine funding because it takes into account the amount of 4* research). Too bad I'm not making anything up :/

Original post by Princepieman
Mate, just give up. You aren't at uni yet, you've insulted me without knowing my personal circumstance, and you continue to spread nonsense based on some rankings you saw.

If all this stuff makes you feel like a king, I'm sure there are better methods of getting the same result - for example actually working hard to get places.

So, with that, I urge you to stop harassing me and my fellow future classmates - cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How do you know I'm not at university yet?

I apologise for that. But you put yourself out there when you state your academic qualifications and you're the one who makes snide comments about other universities' entry requirements when you don't have the right to. My friend had a similar situation to you when one of his uncles passed away during his Highers, but thanks to his prelims - he still got good grades nevertheless. If I'm being honest, your standard grades (and lack of Int 2s) doesn't reflect the profile of an academic student anyways. Do you not see the hypocrisy when you bash other universities for their entry requirements when your own academic background isn't stellar?

Bet you feel like a right King when you slate other universities and boast about your own, eh? :rolleyes: Oh the hypocrisy. You really need an ego-check.

Keep on harassing students from other universities and you're gonna get the same (if you call stating the facts harassing?? :biggrin:).

If anyone is slating a university - it's you. Pretty sure you are the only drone in the entire TSR forums who is butthurt enough to go to a university's forum to bash it there.

You bring up an international ranking and you immediately back-track after I point out some inconsistencies in your arguments... Then you return to the domestic rankings - where Nottingham is ranked higher than Manchester. So by your original argument in this thread, I assume Nottingham is better than Manchester (which you stated to be a good university)?

Come back to me when you don't contradict yourself every 2 posts and when you realise that there is more to universities than rankings.

The explanation of your motives is still bare-bones. You definitely have beef with Nottingham and/or Nottingham students, which makes all of your posts less credible.

lmao I already told you, I was quoted there hence why I responded there. If you use your eyes, you will have noticed I have purposefully stopped responding in that thread along with apologising to the people in that thread.

How? By presenting you with information which goes against your own?

How is that back-tracking? I merely follow your logic which supposes that Nottingham performs better in the world stage in comparison to the domestic stage. I have never said one ranking is superior to another. If anything, I take into account all the rankings and base a university's ranking off of that along with other factors whilst you only care to cherry pick the rankings which put Nottingham in good light. No, imo Manchester is better than Nottingham (although I can see the argument against Manchester).

Don't see how I've contradicted myself but OK.

I've told you again and again. The undeserved superiority complex you guys have over other universities irritates me hence why I'm presenting you all with information to deflate your over-sized egos. My posts would be less credible if I'm straight out making up lies - too bad I'm not, huh?
(edited 8 years ago)
Manchester has a better international rep than Nottingham, but Nottingham IMO edges Manchester for UK rep. Might be because of the campus, or Nottingham's former top 10 status, there is something about Nottingham that makes it posher and more targeted more by private schools.
Yeh let's conveniently ignore the GPA rankings (which will actually define funding because it takes into account the amount 4* research)

How do you know I'm not at university yet?

I apologise for that. But you put yourself out there when you state your academic qualifications and you're the one who makes snide comments about other universities' entry requirements when you don't have the right to. My friend had a similar situation to you when one of his uncles passed away during his Highers, but thanks to his prelims - he still got good grades nevertheless. If I'm being honest, your standard grades (and lack of Int 2s) doesn't reflect the profile of an academic student anyways. Do you not see the hypocrisy when you bash other universities for their entry requirements when your own academic background isn't stellar?

Bet you feel like a right King when you slate other universities and boast about your own, eh? :rolleyes: Oh the hypocrisy. You really need an ego-chQUOTE]

Keep on harassing students from other universities and you're gonna get the same (if you call stating the facts harassing?? :biggrin:).

You looked into me, I looked into you.

Sorry but when did I ever make snide comments about another university's entry requirements? I simply showed the entry requirements for Nottingham and the entry requirements for Lancaster - what conclusion people come to after seeing them is their issue. Someone can't sit there and say: 'my university has higher entry requirements than yours' - I proved them wrong by showing that they indeed DON'T and you somehow conclude I was bashing them.

Ah, yeah. Cheers for the slating of my standard grades mate - I appreciate it! Last time I checked my prelim results were as follows: AH Maths (A - 78%), AH Physics (A - 85%), AH French (B), H Computing (98%). Please, do go on about how I'm not academic - please.

It's not hypocrisy if the people that are hiring have the same impression... Sorry bud, but the reputation built from an average rank of 11 over the past 20 years isn't going to fade away. Try again.

I stated facts. I never harrased anyone. If I am harrasing, it would be in jest and most definitely not serious. I'm not deluding myself into thinking Notts is the be all and end all but it does have a significant reputation and attracts some very top notch applicants - so any comment stating otherwise is misinformation.

P.S. Appeals dissapereard last year - I would have ended up with AAABB (1-2 marks off each lower grade boundary) otherwise.

I've told you again and again. The undeserved superiority complex you guys have over other universities irritates me hence why I'm presenting you all with information to deflate your over-sized egos. My posts would be less credible if I'm straight out making up lies - too bad I'm not, huh?
Superiority complex over which universities? I am not the douchebag who goes to other university forums to bash them. And no, you were not quoted. You were the first one to post there unprovoked, which indicates that you read the Nottingham forums looking to start a fight for no good reason other than to impose your views. Pathetic.

Nobody is slating other universities here or in any other thread. You are the one who is blowing small disagreements out of proportion.
KCL is certainly not declining, it was ranked 16th in the World by QS. Nottingham was 77th in the World. That is some statistic for a couple of universities in decline.
Yeh let's conveniently ignore the GPA rankings (which will actually determine funding because it takes into account the amount of 4* research). Too bad I'm not making anything up :/

Research power is by far the best metric to get an idea of how the HEFCE QR funding is allocated as it both takes into account the GPA and the number of staff entered. Both these factors help determine the level of HEFCE QR funding Universities get, however this is complicated with subject-based cost weightings and the stratification of the funding between the areas of assessment (i.e. quality, impact, environment, etc.).

It's is pretty clear, if you look at how the funding pans out that universities such as Nottingham play the best game by going for research power over pure GPA as they have maintained market share in the face of a huge increase in the London uni's performance (simply inevitable in the current market environment). Uni's like Cardiff that reduced staff entered to win on GPA have really lost out in terms of overall funding levels (although in pounds and pence this isn't a huge impact to Cardiff, hence why they might think that going for the 'prestige' of a high GPA would be better - but it isn't hard to see through this scheme).
Original post by ChemistBoy
Research power is by far the best metric to get an idea of how the HEFCE QR funding is allocated as it both takes into account the GPA and the number of staff entered. Both these factors help determine the level of HEFCE QR funding Universities get, however this is complicated with subject-based cost weightings and the stratification of the funding between the areas of assessment (i.e. quality, impact, environment, etc.).

It's is pretty clear, if you look at how the funding pans out that universities such as Nottingham play the best game by going for research power over pure GPA as they have maintained market share in the face of a huge increase in the London uni's performance (simply inevitable in the current market environment). Uni's like Cardiff that reduced staff entered to win on GPA have really lost out in terms of overall funding levels (although in pounds and pence this isn't a huge impact to Cardiff, hence why they might think that going for the 'prestige' of a high GPA would be better - but it isn't hard to see through this scheme).

I think the Cardiff VC was acting like his university had achieved something like G5 status with their REF result. A pity they didn't look at the bigger picture on research power, where they don't even come in the top 10. Universities like Nottingham will rule the research World in the years to come.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending