The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

MA IR and Modern History or BA Int. Hons.

Hello everyone! I am in a bit of a soup and was hoping some of you may be able to help me out.

I am an international student and applied for the MA International Relations and Modern History and received my offer a couple of hours ago (phew!). I applied under Direct Entry- as in it is the only college in UK I applied to.
However, I was also offered a place on the BA International Honours with the William and Mary Uni to study History.
I am finding it really difficult to choose as I got into the program I wanted to, but I have heard and read around on the net that the BA program is really really difficult to get into and quite prestigious.
I like IR and History equally (Maybe IR a bit more) but I don't want to reject the BA offer without understanding it completely...Any thoughts anyone?
Issues- 1. Is the BA program more expensive than the MA program? Is it worth it, considering the fees for MA itself is so high :frown:
2. Will I be able to take enough modules outside of History all 4 years?
I don't think I want to study ONLY history- the job market is tricky and I want to get into Foreign Policy
3. but, there is real prestige to the BA program, I might go for that.

I thank you all for your help in advance!

Love,
E.
Reply 1
Original post by Enjie August

Issues- 1. Is the BA program more expensive than the MA program? Is it worth it, considering the fees for MA itself is so high :frown:

pretty sure it is more expensive. it looks like it costs $38500 https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/options/routes/wm/ (which is roughly £25400) compared to £17040 for international undergraduates in humanities at St Andrews. That's a lot of money for a degree you didn't apply to....
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by oldlady
pretty sure it is more expensive. it looks like it costs $38500 https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/study/ug/options/routes/wm/ (which is roughly £25400) compared to £17040 for international undergraduates in humanities at St Andrews. That's a lot of money for a degree you didn't apply to....

You are right, that's almost the cost of a comparable American university tuition! Yikes!

Thank you for your help!
Reply 3
Original post by Enjie August
You are right, that's almost the cost of a comparable American university tuition! Yikes!

Thank you for your help!

It makes me wonder if they can't get enough people to apply (maybe because of the cost?) and are trying to fill places. If you feel confident you did your research and the St Andrews course was what you really wanted, then I'd stick with it. IR is very well regarded (and competitive) at St Andrews so giving up that offer AND paying a load more is a big ask!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending