The Student Room Group

EPQ word count?

Basically I've left my EPQ very late and I'm trying to catch up on it, only I have a few hours before I have to hand it all in. Maybe even less. I'm currently at around 3000 words and was just wondering, is 5000 really necessary or is it just a general guideline? Would 4000 suffice?
If it's AQA, between 4.5k and 5.5k is where you need to be at. If it's Edexcel, I believe they're less stringent on words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!
I submitted my EPQ earlier this week. I did mine with AQA so I am not too sure whether the word limit, etc is the same. I have quoted the EPQ Spec below and it says that it has to be between 1000 to 5000 words. I guess it matters on quality and not quantity so if whatever you have wrote is effective and makes the point then 4,000 words is enough. But you won't be penalised for being under 5,000 words (as long as you're at 1,000 words or over which is the minimum limit).

Good luck! :smile:

"All Project products must include a written report ofbetween 1000 and 5000 words. The exact length ofeach written report will depend on the nature of theproject, the subject area or topic chosen and theother evidence provided.A project which consists solely of written work shouldbe approximately 5000 words, for example a researchreport of an investigation, exploration of a hypothesisor an extended essay or academic report inappropriate form. Projects where the majority of theevidence is provided in other formats should include areport which is at least 1000 words."

- AQA EPQ Specification: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-W-7993-SP.PDF
I did AQA and they say that the recommended minimum word count is 5,000, which I assume means that you could go under that but it would be harder to get a higher grade depending on in depth your EPQ actually is.

If you have any doubts though I would contact the exams board or your teacher or something.

Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 4
For AQA, you allowed 10% either side of 5000 so minimum 4500 and maximum 5500. As if you exceed the word count too much it shows poor planning which you get marks for.
Reply 5
Original post by ashr0984
Basically I've left my EPQ very late and I'm trying to catch up on it, only I have a few hours before I have to hand it all in. Maybe even less. I'm currently at around 3000 words and was just wondering, is 5000 really necessary or is it just a general guideline? Would 4000 suffice?

I come years later to answer this question, but hopefully, this is useful for any students doing EPQ in years 12-13. I've asked the EPQ center coordinator at my school about the max word count, we do AQA and this is what they replied:

"There is no official limit once you go over 5,000 words but I would say that if you go over 5,300 or 5,400 words you run the risk of an examiner saying that you haven't 'managed' your project properly so you lose marks in AO1 as well as your structure being called into question in AO3."

So there is no limit, but if you pass the threshold remember to keep your writing concise and relevant to the question. Essentially don't overwrite for the sake of waffling, do it to show your research and understanding of your topic and how that helps you answer the question.

In regards to the bare minimum, it should be around 3,500 words, but I'd say to try and get over that depending on the depth and complexity of your research.

Hope this is helpful to current students :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending