The Student Room Group

10-year-old girl, raped by stepfather, denied abortion in Paraguay.

'The Independent'

A 10-year-old girl raped by her stepfather has been denied an abortion under the restrictive laws of her native Paraguay, an international charity has claimed.

The unnamed child became pregnant after being raped by her stepfather but the 21-week-old pregnancy was discovered only when she arrived at hospital complaining of stomach pains.

Amnesty International claim that denying the girl an abortion is “tantamount to torture” and forcing her to carry the child to full-term is a “further violation of her rights”.

Abortion in Paraguay is illegal except when the mother’s life is in danger, with doctors (or the women themselves) performing the operation facing stiff penalties, ranging from 15 to 30 month in prison.

The United Nations estimates that approximately 26,000 illegal abortions are performed every year in Paraguay. International statistics estimate mothers under 15 years old are five times more likely to die from complications than adult women.

Guadalupe Marengo, Americas Deputy Director at Amnesty International, said: “The physical and psychological impact of forcing this young girl to continue with an unwanted pregnancy is tantamount to torture.”

Mr Marengo continued that authorities “cannot sit idly by” while the girl is “forced to endure more agony and torment.”

“Paraguay must step up to its responsibilities under international law. The world is looking to the country’s authorities, asking them to stand by the girl and to provide access to potentially life-saving treatment for this child and the many other girls and women like her,” he added.

The girl’s mother, now in custody facing charges of breaching duty of care and being an accomplice of sexual abuse, had petitioned the hospital for her daughter’s abortion.

Despite the severity of the case, latest reports suggest that her request was denied and the child moved to the Red Cross Hospital on the orders of Paraguay’s Public Health Ministry.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/amnesty-international-claim-treatment-of-10yearold-girl-raped-by-her-stepfather-but-denied-abortion-is-tantamount-to-torture-10216264.html

Worrying, to say the least. Does Paraguay have a moral responsibility to allow this girl an abortion?

Scroll to see replies

Of course she bloody well should be allowed the abortion, she's only ten years old for god sake!
She should have an abortion as her health and the baby's health can actually be in danger as her body is still not developed proparley yet to carry a child.
Poor girl, mum and step-father should be punished severely.

Didn't realise girls that young could get pregnant though.
Original post by King Leonidas

If she hit puberty early then I suppose she could. I just can't imagine how her body will suffer from childbirth though! :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)

The opportunity to learn it's possible shouldn't even happen.

There was a story about a 9 year old girl in Ecuador being pregnant a few years ago, iirc. Some girls start their period very early, I had a classmate in primary school whose started around age 7 or 8.
Reply 7

I suppose it depends how aware of the sexual abuse the mother was. These things are often well-disguised with the perpetrators forcing their victims to keep quiet, sometimes even making it seem like an intimate secret.
Well one thing for sure, this has nothing to do with the strict Catholic influence in the country.
****ing outrageous and disgusting.

The monster who did this needs to be locked up for life and not allowing her to have an abortion is criminal, I hope they find a doctor who does it illegally or something, poor girl. There are no words for this.
Aren't mothers as young as her likely to die from childbirth?
I don't mean to be crude, I swear I'm not trolling ... what if someone gives her a good punch to the stomach?
Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't mean to be crude, I swear I'm not trolling ... what if someone gives her a good punch to the stomach?

Have you ever been punched in the stomach?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Have you ever been punched in the stomach?

Not while being a child bearing a child.
Not while being a child bearing a child.

Do you think the fetus will absorb the energy of the punch, making it painless and harmless for the pregnant child?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Do you think the fetus will absorb the energy of the punch, making it painless and harmless for the pregnant child?

Well, no. But the momentary pain is better than her risking her life giving birth, isn't it?
Well, no. But the momentary pain is better than her risking her life giving birth, isn't it?

Punching people in the stomach can cause severe injuries. Punching a 10 year old child in the stomach would be a) extremely painful and b) potentially lethal.

I really hope you're trolling. If not, would you consider punching your 10 year old sister or daughter if she was pregnant?
Reply 17
Original post by joey11223
Well one thing for sure, this has nothing to do with the strict Catholic influence bigotry in the country.

Fixed.
Original post by Josb
Fixed.

Tbf I actually watched an episode of South Park yesterday which I haven't done in years and since South Park generally has a reasonably good moral message at the end of most episodes, it would appear the solution is to replace the pope with a rabbit. Worth a shot.
Absolutely appalling :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending