The Student Room Group

Edexcel Psychology Unit 1 AS Level

Hi, would anyone know how answer this question: Describe and evaluate what factors might contribute to obedience to authority in a prison setting (12 marks)

I have studied Abu Ghraib as my key issue in the social approach, Thank you
This is just from what my psychology teacher's said, but you basically need three paragraphs to answer this.

1. A really short introduction to say why this is an issue. Basically, put it in the context of Abu Ghraib. You'll only need a couple of lines for this.

2. The two main arguments for this is that you can explain this issue with agency theory or social identity theory. At least, that's what we studied, idk if you did a different theory. Start with your first theory and say why this could be responsible--eg agency theory means people will pass responsibility on to their superiors, which is what the soldiers did in court; Joe Darby was working in the autonomous state; soldiers may have felt moral strain but continued anyway. Then you provide evidence and evaluate it. So you could say how Milgram (1963) supports agency theory, but it's not generalisable or ecologically valid ect.

3. Then you repeat it with your other theory, so if I'm using social identity theory, I would describe how the three stages relate to Abu Ghraib (eg social categorisation through uniforms, identification through being absorbed into culture of abuse). Then you provide and evaluate evidence again, so I'd use Tajfel and probably Sherif.

If you have time you could do a little conclusion to round things off, but only if you have time.

I hope this was helpful! (and i hope it works too lol)
Reply 2
Original post by captainpicard
This is just from what my psychology teacher's said, but you basically need three paragraphs to answer this.

1. A really short introduction to say why this is an issue. Basically, put it in the context of Abu Ghraib. You'll only need a couple of lines for this.

2. The two main arguments for this is that you can explain this issue with agency theory or social identity theory. At least, that's what we studied, idk if you did a different theory. Start with your first theory and say why this could be responsible--eg agency theory means people will pass responsibility on to their superiors, which is what the soldiers did in court; Joe Darby was working in the autonomous state; soldiers may have felt moral strain but continued anyway. Then you provide evidence and evaluate it. So you could say how Milgram (1963) supports agency theory, but it's not generalisable or ecologically valid ect.

3. Then you repeat it with your other theory, so if I'm using social identity theory, I would describe how the three stages relate to Abu Ghraib (eg social categorisation through uniforms, identification through being absorbed into culture of abuse). Then you provide and evaluate evidence again, so I'd use Tajfel and probably Sherif.

If you have time you could do a little conclusion to round things off, but only if you have time.

I hope this was helpful! (and i hope it works too lol)

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! :smile: This is so helpful x
Original post by cp30
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer! :smile: This is so helpful x

No problem! :yeah:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending