The Student Room Group

bioengineering

Hey guys. I got a conditional offer for biomedical engineering from King's, imperial (after an interview) and Glasgow. Which one should it be my first choice? Help please. Thanks in advance. (I'm an international student from Italy)
Imperial is regarded as the best university out of those three for engineering (it is one of the best for engineering in the country). Internationally it is well recognised and the bioengineering course there looks really interesting and varied. However, the cost of living in London will be massively higher than Glasgow. Have you been able to visit any of them to get a feel for the department, the university and the city?
I've visited KCL and Imperial. I can't really decide what to put as my first choice!! Both the offers are conditional but the imperial one asks way higher entry requirements than KCL so it's a tough choice. Do you know anything about the Glasgow's BME?
Sorry, I don't know anything about Glasgow BME apart from what they say on their website. But as its a Scottish university, you may have to do an extra year?

If I were you I'd firm Imperial and have KCL as your insurance. Imperial has a really good name worldwide for engineering and the BME course there looks really interdisciplinary and varied (when I come to apply to university in a couple of years time, it's the sort of thing I'd love to study) :smile: And if you don't end up with the grades for Imperial, you'll still be able to go to KCL.
Choose imperial and insure Kings. Whats Glasgow?

I'm assuming Kings offer is lower so you have that to fall back on.
Yeah that's true. Thanks for the advice. So I should go for imperial as my first and KCL as my second..
Original post by GiuseppeCiccone
Yeah that's true. Thanks for the advice. So I should go for imperial as my first and KCL as my second..

yeah for sure. Forget Glasgow. Imperial and KCL are top universities in the world. Picking Glasgow would be a massive mistake.
I do bioengineering at Glasgow. It's a great city, course is pretty great too. Visit the unis and get a feel for their atmosphere before you firm choices, reputation isn't everything and an engineering degree from Glasgow is still highly regarded so I don't think it will make a huge deal of difference in the long term. It's about which uni you like the best at the end of the day.

Its easy to find flats in Glasgow and rent is pretty reasonable, can find decent places for around 300-350per month.
Original post by seyrose
I do bioengineering at Glasgow. It's a great city, course is pretty great too. Visit the unis and get a feel for their atmosphere before you firm choices, reputation isn't everything and an engineering degree from Glasgow is still highly regarded so I don't think it will make a huge deal of difference in the long term. It's about which uni you like the best at the end of the day.

Its easy to find flats in Glasgow and rent is pretty reasonable, can find decent places for around 300-350per month.

That's really nice. That's why I was considering Glasgow too. Are classes big? How many students are in the course? How are the professors? I can't visit Glasgow because I live in Italy so that's pretty far away and I have to decide within 3 days.
Original post by GiuseppeCiccone
That's really nice. That's why I was considering Glasgow too. Are classes big? How many students are in the course? How are the professors? I can't visit Glasgow because I live in Italy so that's pretty far away and I have to decide within 3 days.

I've PM'ed you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending