The Student Room Group

Is he worth caring about?

I've got a guy friend that's been texting me everyday for the last couple months. He started off being nice to me but lately he's been quite mean. Like if he's ill, he will tell me and I would worry about him. But if it's me, he doesn't care.

I asked him about it as he said something that upset me recently and he didn't care. He said he has better things to worry about - I know what and I have things in my life to worry about too. He said he is always mean/sarcastic to everyone and if he was nice to me then he would be worried cos he's only nice to people he likes.

The thing is I have a sarcastic personality too and make jokes. But I also am nice and can care. To me, friendship always meant u care about the other person.

I dont even know if this is a man thing or even if I'm just expecting too much from a friend? Any advice? Be as blunt as u like as I feel really down and wish I don't care for people as much as I do :s-smilie: I feel pathetic
Depends if he's just joking or if he's actually serious. I say a lot of dickish things to my friends while serious but that's usually while giving them advice. If you find it difficult to be friends with people like him then it might be better to stop talking to him, why carry on if he hurts you?

No reason to feel pathetic about it, I'm not exactly the sensitive type but there's nothing wrong with caring. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Protégé
Depends if he's just joking or if he's actually serious. I say a lot of dickish things to my friends while serious but that's usually while giving them advice. If you find it difficult to be friends with people like him then it might be better to stop talking to him, why carry on if he hurts you?

No reason to feel pathetic about it, I'm not exactly the sensitive type but there's nothing wrong with caring. :smile:

I think he is sarcastic a lot and that is fine, I can be too. But it doesn't sit well with me knowing that he couldn't give a crap about when I'm hurt - by him which happened recently or by other things like burning my hand etc.

Is it normal for guys to be like this? I'm considering toning down how much I chat to him after knowing this but if this is how guys are then maybe I'm just being too delicate.

I chat to him cos he texts me everyday and at first, I felt rude not replying. Then slowly I got used to him just being there texting me. I admit I've become attached in the sense that I see him as a friend now whereas before I would have said acquaintance.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I've got a guy friend that's been texting me everyday for the last couple months. He started off being nice to me but lately he's been quite mean. Like if he's ill, he will tell me and I would worry about him. But if it's me, he doesn't care.

I asked him about it as he said something that upset me recently and he didn't care. He said he has better things to worry about - I know what and I have things in my life to worry about too. He said he is always mean/sarcastic to everyone and if he was nice to me then he would be worried cos he's only nice to people he likes.

The thing is I have a sarcastic personality too and make jokes. But I also am nice and can care. To me, friendship always meant u care about the other person.

I dont even know if this is a man thing or even if I'm just expecting too much from a friend? Any advice? Be as blunt as u like as I feel really down and wish I don't care for people as much as I do :s-smilie: I feel pathetic

It sounds like you like as more than just friends. He doesn't even sound like he would make a good friend let alone a boyfriend. He is treating you like dirt and you're value is worth more than that. Stop talking to him and find someone nicer to be friends with.
Stopped reading at "better things to care about."

Do you really need to ask if he's worth it? I mean if you're asking if he's worth it, then you don't need to worry about him.
I think he is sarcastic a lot and that is fine, I can be too. But it doesn't sit well with me knowing that he couldn't give a crap about when I'm hurt - by him which happened recently or by other things like burning my hand etc.

Is it normal for guys to be like this? I'm considering toning down how much I chat to him after knowing this but if this is how guys are then maybe I'm just being too delicate.

I chat to him cos he texts me everyday and at first, I felt rude not replying. Then slowly I got used to him just being there texting me. I admit I've become attached in the sense that I see him as a friend now whereas before I would have said acquaintance.

I don't think it's normal. At least he's honest though, unless he's lying about not caring in order to appear cooler.

What are his reactions when you tell him that he's hurt you? Does he only just state his apathy?
Reply 6
Original post by tinks_13
It sounds like you like as more than just friends. He doesn't even sound like he would make a good friend let alone a boyfriend. He is treating you like dirt and you're value is worth more than that. Stop talking to him and find someone nicer to be friends with.

Original post by tinks_13

Can you explain to me what makes you think I like him more as a friend please? Just curious. I care about female friends just as much I think. The only thing is that he texts me everyday and at first, I only replied to be polite but then I started getting used to it. I always thought to myself maybe he initiated texts cos he cared (platonically) but I'm just confused now.

I might just be one of those people that cares too much about people lol. He genuinely doesn't think anything is wrong, I spoke candidly about it to him. I told him I feel guilty if I hurt him in any way but I know he wouldn't feel the same. He said I'm over thinking things but I thought it was simple?
Reply 7
Original post by Protégé
I don't think it's normal. At least he's honest though, unless he's lying about not caring in order to appear cooler.

What are his reactions when you tell him that he's hurt you? Does he only just state his apathy?

I've only told him once he upset me and was yes, it was met with apathy. I like that he is honest, I don't like people that lie for the sake of it. Just made me rethink things when I ended up saying something along the lines of "well, I'll apologise for anything I've hurt u on - even if you don't" and was met with the response of how I'm worrying for no reason.
Reply 8
Bump
If you have to ask yourself this then no, he isn't worth it.
Original post by Zeldaintheflesh
If you have to ask yourself this then no, he isn't worth it.

How do I stop caring? :frown:
How do I stop caring? :frown:

Stop caring isnt necessarily the issue, but you have to learn to care about yourself and how it's affecting you :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending