The Student Room Group

Anyone read Nausea by Jean Paul Sartre?

I ordered it on Waterstones website yday and I'm collecting the book tomorrow.

Has anyone read the book? Did you.. "enjoy" it? Any pitfalls?

I'm actually so incredibly keen and eager to read this book - I've been meaning to for months!!
Reply 1
Definitely a book to read. Not sure if I "got it" but it did change the way I looked at things. I did find it a bit hard to get into at the start, and I think there are still some sections I was a bit confused about, but it's an interesting book to read nonetheless.
Reply 2
Original post by Angury
Definitely a book to read. Not sure if I "got it" but it did change the way I looked at things. I did find it a bit hard to get into at the start, and I think there are still some sections I was a bit confused about, but it's an interesting book to read nonetheless.

I have to agree to an extent. I'm 96 pages down so far, and though a lot of parts are just confusing me I'm finding it strangely odd how much of the book I can relate to and take an interest in.

Though I have to say I was mega bummed out for 2 days because the first 60 or so pages of the book just hit you like a train.
I tried it when I was on holiday when I was 16 and thought "WTF is this". I read Camus and idk what the fuss is about. I am planning on giving it a read this year though. If you are reading it as a philosophical text (e.g. Plato, Descartes), the advise is that you should spend 30 mins to 1 hour on a page before moving on to the next one.

Nietzsche is really worth a read if you want to destroy everything you once assumed.
Reply 4
I finished the book today...God it is a lot to take in :tongue: I did find it pretty interesting and fantastic food for thought though, fully recommend it if you enjoy ''deeper'' reading.

I have actually got Nietzsche - Beyeond Good & Evil on my reading list @Georg Hegel so I might give that a read next now that I've finished Nausea :tongue:
Original post by Inexorably
I finished the book today...God it is a lot to take in :tongue: I did find it pretty interesting and fantastic food for thought though, fully recommend it if you enjoy ''deeper'' reading.

I have actually got Nietzsche - Beyeond Good & Evil on my reading list @Georg Hegel so I might give that a read next now that I've finished Nausea :tongue:

It's quite a different writing style, but still very thought provoking. Don't read anything by Hegel though, you'll only get a headache.
Reply 6
Original post by Georg Hegel
It's quite a different writing style, but still very thought provoking. Don't read anything by Hegel though, you'll only get a headache.

Is it worse than Heidegger? I attempted to read an introductory book to Heidegger and every damn sentence was so complex and overly ... majestic?

Yes I'm sure I attempted to reach Nietzsche a while ago and couldn't get to grips with it, but I shall make another attempt.
Satre is a hack, sorry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending