The Student Room Group

Our cat has died...

Hi guys,

Our beloved cat Dylan was found dead this morning on our settee. At first we thought he was sleeping, however it was soon clear that the rigor mortis had set in.

He was three years old and a pedigree (half Main Coon). I am just so incredibly shocked by all this. I was the last person to let him into the house last night (at around 10.30 pm) and he looked healthy and perky. Potentially less than an hour later, he was dead.

I have particular regrets as he came into my bedroom hungry, but I refused to feed him as there were biscuits there, and I assumed he had been fed before. I also shooed him out of my room as I was busy, but that was the last time I saw him alive.

A post mortem was carried out this morning, and it was discovered that he suffered heart failure as a result of cardiomyopathy. This is particularly common in Main Coon cats, but I can't help feel responsible for not giving him any attention that night. Now it's too late.

I would appreciate any conciliation with this.
(edited 8 years ago)
RIP :sad:
I'm really sorry for your loss :frown: by the way you speak about Dylan in your post I can tell that you cared about him a lot and I bet that you have given him a nice life. Please try not to feel bad about the last time you saw him as his heart failure would've had nothing to do with you not feeding him and as you said there was dry food out anyway if he was hungry. May he rest in peace

Posted from TSR Mobile
My cat (Snowy) has been missing for three weeks now and even right now I'm really sad I'm not able to find him. I've been deeply depressed due to this since he was with us for two years now since he was just a kitten and everyone loved him so much. I dun know what happened to him but I pray he is happy where ever he is now.
Original post by Vegito
My cat (Snowy) has been missing for three weeks now and even right now I'm really sad I'm not able to find him. I've been deeply depressed due to this since he was with us for two years now since he was just a kitten and everyone loved him so much. I dun know what happened to him but I pray he is happy where ever he is now.

Have you stuck him on sites like this?

http://www.animalsearchuk.co.uk/

Our cat went missing and we got news of a possible sighting and then confirmation a month later. We still haven't got him back (partly because the poeple who spotted him are pretty useless and don't really show any interest in helping catch him) but at least we know he is still alive.
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
lol

So edgy
Reply 6
My cat died. I still feel sad about it. He had to be put down so I got to say good bye.

My friend died. I feel sad about that too. He died suddenly. I feel bad that the last few messages I sent to him were teasing him about someone he had slept with. At least I ended the messages with "hope to see you soon ." You can never really know what's going to happen and it's not like you treated your cat really badly. So forgive yourself.
Reply 7
I can relate, my cat died last year, so I feel for your loss.:frown: but he was so introvert that he was apprehensive of our hamster, and extremely lazy he just ate, slept and pooped.:mmm:

He was more a liability than a asset he never did anything and was treated like a prince, and all I can say is that before he died he lived and ate like a king.:sigh:

So he was a lazy bum, but I do miss his presence.:frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Feline_Nymphet
Idk. It's just kinda funny to me. My 9 yr old lil sis's pet earthworm dried out n died like last wk, and it got weird stretchy and she went :sad:. She said we should have a funeral...

so I threw it out the window :h:

Wow, you're heartless, I guess karma played it's role when it took away your taste buds.:h:

That made me "Lol".:rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Have you stuck him on sites like this?

http://www.animalsearchuk.co.uk/

Our cat went missing and we got news of a possible sighting and then confirmation a month later. We still haven't got him back (partly because the poeple who spotted him are pretty useless and don't really show any interest in helping catch him) but at least we know he is still alive.

I'm not living in UK currently. I think my cat got stolen and I've tried to ask people to find clues but they dont feel interested to help and don't take it seriously so I've given up now. I really do await for the day when I will know what happened to him.
(edited 8 years ago)
Poor cat. My two cats died in 2010. I was so sad, as I'd known them both since the day I was born and one of them was my best friend.
I miss them so much, but we have two new cats now, whom I love dearly. They are brothers and are always having play fights. They are very troublesome, but they are gorgeous!
So sorry to hear this :frown: I know how you feel. My cat died last year and then my dog died suddenly this year. Still miss them both terribly :frown:

Hope you're doing ok

Posted from TSR Mobile
Incredibly sorry for your loss OP :frown: It's tragic when a pet dies.
Sorry :frown: I know how rubbish it feels to lose pets.
Reply 14
Sorry for your loss :frown: And he wouldn't have passed away just because you didn't give him any wet food, as you said yourself there were biscuits there and cats really don't mind what food they have, as long as it's edible! It was likely that his heart problems caught up with him - without knowing that, there was really nothing you could do. Console yourself with the fact that he was a well-loved family pet - you always did your best for him and gave him the life of a prince!

We have a beautiful 5 year old female Maine Coon ourselves, called Tabitha. She is absolutely crazy but we love her with all our heart, and I can't imagine what life would be like without her. But I do know that when she does pass on, we can console ourselves with the fact that we, like you, gave her the life that many cats could only dream of :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest