The Student Room Group

Duchess of Cambridge given brith

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kiytt
I find your labelling of others as inverted snobs rather ironic. But please, carry on.

Have the decency to explain what you mean. Where do you get the impression that I am an 'inverted snob' from?
So happy for them congratulations, great that it was a girl! I think they might call her Charlotte.
Reply 102
Original post by Birkenhead
Have the decency to explain what you mean. Where do you get the impression that I am an 'inverted snob' from?

For starters, the expectation that I owe you any decency at all.

Secondly, your counter-argument being one that expresses political elitism and prejudice against someone who supports a different political party to what you do.

I could go on, but judging from your posts you seem to have inverted comprehension too—so I doubt it's of any use to.
Original post by Kiytt
For starters, the expectation that I owe you any decency at all.

I didn't say you 'owed' me decency, I implored you to have it. This also has nothing to do with inverted snobbery.

Secondly, your counter-argument being one that expresses political elitism and prejudice against someone who supports a different political party to what you do.

Please show me where I demonstrated 'political elitism and prejudice against someone who supports a different political party' to mine as a 'counter-argument' in this discussion. It sounds to me like you haven't read my posts well at all, because not only was there a great deal more to them than this, but this didn't play a part in them whatsoever.

I could go on, but judging from your posts you seem to have inverted comprehension too—so I doubt it's of any use to.

Perhaps a criticism better aimed at yourself...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 104
I didn't say you 'owed' me decency, I implored you to have it. This also has nothing to do with inverted snobbery.

Please show me where I demonstrated 'political elitism and prejudice against someone who supports a different political party' to mine as a 'counter-argument' in this discussion. It sounds to me like you haven't read my posts well at all, because not only was there a great deal more to them than this, but this didn't play a part in them whatsoever.

Perhaps a criticism better aimed at yourself...

You insisted I offer it, indicating you felt entitlement to it.

The avatar didn't lend me towards the belief that any rational discussion of the merits of our opposing viewpoints was ever on the cards...

The avatar being "I'm voting UKIP." Forgot about that one, huh? Perhaps your memory would serve you better if you weren't so focused on objecting to accusations with such conviction.

And your last statement was just negated by the fact you forgot what you said yourself.
Original post by Maid Marian
Awwwwwwwwww! Gorgeous baby :love: I've just been looking at all the pictures, loved the ones of Prince George with his dad too, such a cute toddler :love:

I really hope they call the baby Alice :3

it occurred to me that they could choose a Scottish name, to help cement the Union... stand by for...

Coira Scottish girl’s name meaning seething pool
Cullodena broken mossy land
Cumina Means from the place Comines
Curstaidh Scottish version of Kirstie
Dallis Female version of the name Dallas
Davina Feminine form of David *
Deoiridh Means Pilgrim
Deonaid Variant of Seonaid
Dolina From the name Dolog female version of Donald
Donella Female version of Donald

Freya Freya was the goddess of love *
Garia This girl’s name means short
Gavenia Scottish girls name meaning ‘White Hawk’
Gilbarta Means to pledge
Gordania Scottish origins means heroic
Gormlaith Means splendid lady or princess
Kameron From Cameron meaning crooked nose
Kenzie From the Gaelic name Coinneach that means handsome
Malmuira Means darken skinned
Malvina From the Gaelic name Mala Mhin
Marcail Girl’s name means pearl
Morna Varient of Myrna
Muireall Meaning bright sea
Nairna Origins unknown
Nathaira This name means snake
Nathara Variation of Nathaira
Nighean This name means young woman

Sorcha Means brightness
Stineag Gaelic for Chirstina
Struana Means from the stream
Teasag Scottish form of Jessie
Wynda Scottish origins and means from a narrow path
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Glad you agree as I was worried I was being stupid the way people reacted to that :tongue:

I agree with that last paragraph. O also apply that to royals. Dianne going out of her way to say touch Aids victims when there was a lot of paranoia around it was respectable. People in positions of privilege who use that privilege to try and make the world better do gain my respect. Even if I still oppose their privilege.

I can imagine people, as in your fellow students telling you it's petty, but flip it around, what sort of normal human being takes such offense at a bunch of kids refusing to call him 'sir'? Maybe he should earn respect rather than taking it for granted.

Diana did truly go beyond what would be expected to use her position to improve the lives of other people, so she deserves credit for that, also for the work in areas where landmines had been used in addition to reducing stigma of HIV sufferers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maid Marian
Have some respect for Her Majesty, that's just uncouth.

Can you read? He was saying he wouldn't call a teacher "sir". Nothing to do with privilege...

Respect is earned... not given...
Original post by EatAndRevise
She's still in labour.

Nah she's still a Tory supporter
now there is a conspiracy theory about the Royal Birth :redface:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/russians-claim-royal-baby-birth-5630709
Original post by Marshall Taylor
Nah she's still a Tory supporter

I didn't capitalise the "l" in "labour".
Original post by muf_mur

:rofl:
I think this is my favourite photo :3

Charlotte Elizabeth Diana.

I'd hoped they would go with Alice, but oh well.
Same old boring names being regurgitated generations after generations
Original post by muf_mur

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BBC News
Charlotte also has more recent connections for the royal couple. On the duchess's side, it is the middle name of her sister Pippa Middleton and on the duke's it is the name of his cousin Charlotte Spencer, Earl Spencer's youngest daughter.
BBC News
The earl tweeted: "Perfect names. My 2-year old Charlotte Diana will be thrilled at cousinly name-sharing."

Weird

Quick Reply

Latest