The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography - GEOG4a (19th June 2015)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MeganGrimes125
That's really helpful, thankyouu :smile:

No problem :smile: glad it helped :biggrin:
What's anyone put on ideas for who your results may be useful to in terms of psammoseres?
Original post by GregClarke1871
What's anyone put on ideas for who your results may be useful to in terms of psammoseres?

omg yes, please someone say! >.< I don't know this either!
What graphs do we have to know for the 2nd part of the exam?
Anyone think of some advantages of using Spearman's Rank for data analysis?
Original post by thewishfulwriter

Shows type and strength of correlation, allows you to pick a hypothesis, test result for significance, result is objective, is this what you mean?

I'm literally just doing this now
This is what I have so far in very notey form (idk how useful it'll be to you buut):

Spearman’s Rank- used because we had two related variablesfor each hypotheses (PR, PLA, BW and BV in relation to the distance from site1). For the ‘describe’ one, describe how to do it + comparing to chart to find significance level- use PLA- gave us strong positive correlation of 0.84- accept aalternate hypothesis (that there is a correlation) and reject null- this however went against our original hypothesis as the PLA increased along the beach from West to East rather than decreased.
Appropriate because... within our maths range as an A Level geography class and we’d done it before
Useful because… it allowed us to question our initial geographic understanding on PLA as it gave us the opposite result to what expected-we eventually put this result down to recent beach replenishment- now we know to do it on an unmanaged beach if we were to do the investigation again

I'm just about to do a chart for the general strengths and weaknesses of it so I'll send you that in a minute
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Braddy16
Shows type and strength of correlation, allows you to pick a hypothesis, test result for significance, result is objective, is this what you mean?

Yep, thank you! :smile:

I'm literally just doing this now
This is what I have so far in very notey form (idk how useful it'll be to you buut):

Spearman’s Rank- used because we had two related variablesfor each hypotheses (PR, PLA, BW and BV in relation to the distance from site1). For the ‘describe’ one, describe how to do it + comparing to chart to find significance level- use PLA- gave us strong positive correlation of 0.84- accept aalternate hypothesis (that there is a correlation) and reject null- this however went against our original hypothesis as the PLA increased along the beach from West to East rather than decreased.
Appropriate because... within our maths range as an A Level geography class and we’d done it before
Useful because… it allowed us to question our initial geographic understanding on PLA as it gave us the opposite result to what expected-we eventually put this result down to recent beach replenishment- now we know to do it on an unmanaged beach if we were to do the investigation again I'm just about to do a chart for the general strengths and weaknesses of it so I'll send you that in a minute

Thank you :biggrin: If you don't mind, I would appreciate it :smile:

Strengths: Reduces weight of anomalies due to ranking, result can be easily checked using correlation shown by scatter graph, very precise- ie. More precise than just using scatter graph, can see significance level, proves/disproves hypotheses, doesn’t assume normal distribution??
Weaknesses: doesn’t use original data, takes a while to calculate

That's all I can think of
(edited 8 years ago)
Strengths: Reduces weight of anomalies due to ranking, result can be easily checked using correlation shown by scatter graph, very precise- ie. More precise than just using scatter graph, can see significance level, proves/disproves hypotheses, doesn’t assume normal distribution??
Weaknesses: doesn’t use original data, takes a while to calculate

Thanks! Those are really useful :smile:
Do we need to know how to carry out the statistical tests then or just how to interpret them? :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by emma9612
Hi people,

The fieldwork section is freaking me out a tad - our teacher's have made a 30 page document with different questions we could be asked & how we'd answer them & I have no idea how I'd come up with answers like those in the exam! I'm okay with the normal questions about data collection etc but there always seems to be a really random question for the fieldwork that I wouldn't call normal & one that really makes you think.

We did our fieldwork on city/town centres.

As for predictions for section B, my teacher suggested Chi-squared as it hasn't come up for a while & the last time it appeared was the same time standard deviation came up for AS - standard deviation came up this year for AS. Don't hold me to that prediction!

And I'm pretty sure you don't have to work anything out as everything is given, you just have to interpret the data!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine is on shopping centres and the conclusions are always a bit iffy for me!
Original post by TheRaspberry
Do we need to know how to carry out the statistical tests then or just how to interpret them? :smile:

I think how to interpret them is all you need. :smile: I'm not 100% sure though
Original post by GregClarke1871

I was thinking our findings could be useful for the tourist industry, environmentalists and locals like dog walkers etc. Then you just have to bs the rest like 'you can inform dog walkers on their responsibilities with the dunes'
Original post by azndian
Mine is on shopping centres and the conclusions are always a bit iffy for me!

I have a pretty good conclusion as it links to my aim, supports the hypotheses & links to the theory. Once I chuck in a few statistics & reasons etc, I hope it's enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by Braddy16
Great list, I saw a question about this on data collection, is that the only thing where you will have to talk about reliability and accuracy in your view?

Posted from TSR Mobile

in my opinion yes, or your investigation as a whole :smile:
Part B is very likely to be stats isin't it? Stats has not come up since June 2012.
Original post by TheRaspberry
Part B is very likely to be stats isin't it? Stats has not come up since June 2012.

yeah i think it will be! make sure you know your Mann whitney U from your Spearmans rank correlation coefficient!!!
Original post by Hellomoto.
yeah i think it will be! make sure you know your Mann whitney U from your Spearmans rank correlation coefficient!!!

Yeah good point :smile:

Am alright with IQR, Spearman's rank, and Chi-squared as those are all in Biology.

It is just Mann whitney.... :smile:
Reply 79
What are we supposed to know for the stats bit? advantages/disadvantages ect.?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending