The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2014-2015

Predictions for this year anyone? I'm doing decision making, welfare state, voting behaviour, SA and American topics

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi predictions?? for 2015 old higher covering topics like decision-making is central government , Health and Wealth in UK, America and politics in Africa
can someone please tell me if media influence can come up in theme 1B and 1D?? so confused :s-smilie:
Reply 3
I'm doing democracy in Scotland and the United Kingdom, crime and law and the USA as a world power.
I think voting behaviour will come up for the democracy in Scotland and the UK as voting systems have came up the past two years but idk 😕
Reply 4
Also, is anybody doing the new higher?
I'm doing the new Higher and am doing USA, Health and wealth inequalities and Democracy in Scotland. The section which is worrying me is the democracy one because the questions can be so broad and I am worried something will come up which I have not been taught! Is anyone else feeling like this?
Reply 6
Anybody got an idea what to write in a "Trade vs aid" Africa question?
Reply 7
Original post by danielcormack98
I'm doing the new Higher and am doing USA, Health and wealth inequalities and Democracy in Scotland. The section which is worrying me is the democracy one because the questions can be so broad and I am worried something will come up which I have not been taught! Is anyone else feeling like this?

have you done voting behaviour for democracy in Scotland?
Original post by Aftxn
have you done voting behaviour for democracy in Scotland?

Yes, and local government conflict with Scot gov, how the HOC can scrutinise the Executive, the different electoral systems and how citizens can participate in politics. Is that enough to cover for democracy or? What have you all covered for the USA topic?
Reply 9
Yes, and local government conflict with Scot gov, how the HOC can scrutinise the Executive, the different electoral systems and how citizens can participate in politics. Is that enough to cover for democracy or? What have you all covered for the USA topic?

We've only done voting systems and voting behaviour for democracy in Scotland...

For the USA we've done checks and balances on government, immigration, inequalities of ethnic minorities and how citizens can participate in the running of their country. You?
Original post by Aftxn
We've only done voting systems and voting behaviour for democracy in Scotland...

For the USA we've done checks and balances on government, immigration, inequalities of ethnic minorities and how citizens can participate in the running of their country. You?

That's basically what my class did but I covered the extra stuff because I panicked looking at the specimen papers. I've done all of those topics too actually apart from the participate in running of the country one, what is all in that sort of essay??
Reply 11
That's basically what my class did but I covered the extra stuff because I panicked looking at the specimen papers. I've done all of those topics too actually apart from the participate in running of the country one, what is all in that sort of essay??

Got mixed up, sorry! I meant how do ethnic minorities influence the outcome of elections. Have you done that?
Original post by Aftxn
Got mixed up, sorry! I meant how do ethnic minorities influence the outcome of elections. Have you done that?

It's ok hahaha! Yes, covered that too! I'm hoping soc and ec inequalities comes up! One of those topics should at least come up, hopefully. My prelim went so well because the questions were perfect, just hoping it's similar for the final exam :s-smilie:
Reply 13
It's ok hahaha! Yes, covered that too! I'm hoping soc and ec inequalities comes up! One of those topics should at least come up, hopefully. My prelim went so well because the questions were perfect, just hoping it's similar for the final exam :s-smilie:

Im really worried about this exam, feel as if i know nothing!😕
My predictions:

Devolved Decisin Making: conflict/co-operation between councils and government
Health and Wealth: Individulal lifestyle choices and/or poverty
South Africa: Democracy Essay (Dominance of ANC/one party state etc)
Electoral Systems: Voting behaviour (media/social class)
For development in Africa it is bound to be NGO's as it hasn't came up since 2009.
Reply 16
Hi guys,
I'm also really worried about the exam as any question could pop up. Do you think that there is very little chance of a voting systems question and instead it will be voting behaviour for the media/social class? Also what are your predictions for the USA topic, China topic and Health and Wealth in UK topic?
Thanks guys!
Reply 17
Original post by omalik
Hi guys,
I'm also really worried about the exam as any question could pop up. Do you think that there is very little chance of a voting systems question and instead it will be voting behaviour for the media/social class? Also what are your predictions for the USA topic, China topic and Health and Wealth in UK topic?
Thanks guys!

I think voting behaviour will make an appearance this year because voting systems have turned up the past two years. However, any one of them can turn up so dont just focus on one. For the USA, i think inequalities/american dream, america's influence on the world or oerhaps checks and balances can turn up. Again, i wouldnt focus on just those as I can be completely wrong :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Aftxn
I think voting behaviour will make an appearance this year because voting systems have turned up the past two years. However, any one of them can turn up so dont just focus on one. For the USA, i think inequalities/american dream, america's influence on the world or oerhaps checks and balances can turn up. Again, i wouldnt focus on just those as I can be completely wrong :smile:

Thanks a lot, this subject is so stressful right, i mean it could be any question coming up, and you have to revise about twenty essays.
Reply 19
Original post by omalik
Thanks a lot, this subject is so stressful right, i mean it could be any question coming up, and you have to revise about twenty essays.

Tell me about it, stressed to the max with this subject. Im doing crime and law and because it is new to higher it means that any question can turn up and im freaking out about it haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending