The Student Room Group

Gamer culture remains rude and decidedly MALE DOMINATED - STUDY finds

Scroll to see replies

Yah, guys get really annoyed if I beat them.... but on Minecraft they're ok.
Original post by SasaM97
And also I find it shocking feminists have managed to pick apart gaming now to enforce their own argument that women are so hard done by... You're not happy don't play! And actually I'd like to just state how many nasty and cruel females I've met over game chat using the exact same insults daery whatever has said males use? If anything 9/10 the females I come across are vile compared to males. What a silly woman this person is who started this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup thats them for you and daenerys has a habit of doing this keeping up with the game of thrones persona though so....

ps daenerys if you see this there are a lot of young male players online who don't know the meaning of respect, curse a lot and generally act like douchbags so that factors into it

gooday
Why is 'male dominated' in caps? Is that a problem for some reason?

TV soap viewership is female dominated. Should we all be taking offence?
Original post by ozzyoscy

Anything that is male-dominated will cause a feminist to whine and moan until no end.

Unless it's homeless, work injuries, bankruptcy or education failure statistics. Then they're fine with it :wink:
Original post by ozzyoscy

Well, of you're a hardline MRA activist that thinks all men are scum and need putting down, yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomfailinghelp
If the representation of women in video games is so awful and painful to women - and if women are really half of gamers - why do the companies which produce those games not go out of business?

There is obviously something wrong with or false about what you are saying

Because games that are female dominated tend to not have a playable character, in the same ways as in an RPG or shooter.

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RoflSeal
Because games that are female dominated tend to not have a playable character, in the same ways as in an RPG or shooter.

Not the best source IMO since it's a sample of 200 MOBILE games rather than proper games

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gee I've been gaming since I can remember, I don't like playing online as I prefer enjoying the games story like in Horizon Zero Dawn (which has excellent female characters). And even if I got **** off of guys I just throw it back, they told you to go make a sandwich? Tell them to choke on a phallus.
It's just *******s, so be an ******* back. If you're too sensitive and get offended easily then that's your problem I guess, modulate your voice to make it deeper and you'll get less sandwich jokes.
The only 'sexism' I could have potentially received was when I told a bunch of my male mates at school that I like black ops zombie mode, and they didn't believe me so they grilled me by asking me loads of awkward questions about mystery boxes, maps, how many bullets a certain gun had etc. and as soon as I got one wrong they'd take the piss out of me and say I wasn't a real gamer. I didn't care, I prestiged before all of them on normal multiplayer so meh. So if you wanna game you go and game and suck up the **** and deal with it. You can't go around being the fun police.
Original post by Daenerys...
http://phys.org/news/2015-05-gamer-culture-crude-rude-male-dominated.html

Misogyny is a defining characteristic of gaming culture, even though half of the players now are female.
Women who game face unwelcome sexual advances and crude condemnations of their skills, say Benjamin Baker and Arrington Stoll, UWM doctoral students who recently completed a study on the topic.

"Video games have historically been steeped in hypermasculine culture," said Baker, 31, a lifelong gamer. "Games have been developed by men and marketed to men."

While the audience has evolved, the sexualized characterization of women has not. The streets, dungeons and battlefields are more realistic than ever but still populated by brawny males and a few women clad in cleavage-revealing costumes.

Stoll, 28, began playing about six years to stay connected with her younger brother when he went off to college. She played a character with masculine traits in the online Xbox 360 game Call of Duty, but her feminine username and voice were immediate giveaways (players wear headsets and communicate with one another).

"It was terrible at first," said Stoll, who was berated in crude language when, as a newcomer, she didn't perform well. "My brother would stick up for me," she said. "He'd say 'Hey, that's my sister!'"
----

My question to the male gamers on TSR is do you support misogyny and sexism in-game? And how can we fix this unfair treatment of half the gaming demographic?

Unsurprisingly the study isn't immediately linked to nor is any data actually provided so there's no evidence. Just throwing the word 'study' in is no more authoritative than when you want to make a point in a uni essay but it isn't about your opinion so write 'scholars argue'.

In sum https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3S_BDJwlJ8

Players face abuse regardless of gender. Welcome to internet anonymity. Prove it's because of their gender not coincidental, then I'll take your proposal seriously.

Games are marketed to men and played by men, yet women are 50% of the demographic? Internal logic failure. Fun fact, women are the vast majority of casual gamers ie candy crush and solitaire, they are not so much a part of the console in depth game market which has most of the advertising. It seems things are advertised to those whom they sell to. Clearly plenty of women aren't put off by this so it seems a stick up the ar$e because everything isn't exactly how you want it situation.

So idealised body types? In fantasy? Who knew?! Because men can easily be that ripped and have such a low percentage of body fat if they have iron clad willpower, a good few years of free time and the money for supplements and steroids. I want to play the game about the borderline depressive fat f**k who has to slog his guts out at a job he hates to pay his mortgage and is too busy arguing with his wife to actually enjoy the house, that sounds fun. If people who don't actually exist threaten your self confidence then its time to do some growing up. This whole idea of not being able to associate with characters not of your gender or whatever is stupid. I didn't have to draw a moustache on Aloy or Lara Croft so I could start giving a sh!t about their problems - the good writing made me invested because I'm not counting the number of testicles of the protagonist due to the fact I actually like games rather than having never really liked them and making a decision to insert gender politics into people's hobbies. The new the last of us has Ellie as the main character. Because the first one was amazing, I'm buying it. Simple as.

Obviously I - as is every gamer I've ever heard speak on the subject - oppose sexism and misogyny but this isn't a case they exist, it's a list of unsubstantiated complaining to try and reach a conclusion with spurious evidence. It's forcing your opinions into a space where people don't care about gender hypersensitivity because they share a common identity - gamer.

Original post by Daenerys...
Explaining it away as boys being boys, just creates men that are more likely than not sexist, homophobic, and misogynistic. You see the words *****, **** and slut thrown about in gaming circles all the time and I have experienced too much like you.

I feel like accepting the sexism and misogyny that comes with gaming and downplaying it as "banter" is ridiculous and makes you seem as rather docile. Not to mention being deferential as your post suggests you are means you ignore online harassment simply because you consider yourself one of the lads.

Boys being boys isn't used to explain that you simpleton. It's used to explain playfighting and stuff getting broken, you know, the results of the actual biological gender difference.

The word 'peni$' is used as are its variations, the word 'b0ll0cks' is used to generically express displeasure associating them with something bad, everyone can play that game of imagined slights. If words offend people so much they cant do what they want to do then society has failed, sticks and stones and all that. If mere implications perhaps not even meant by the speaker - you have no idea what their thoughts are - are enough to prevent people from doing stuff then I hope those people are never introduced to the real world because its gonna hurt
Reply 129
Lmao, you want to talk about representation of the sexes in games then lets talk.

How women are represented: very sexualised, half naked, big ass, big bust,
How men are represented: tall, broad shoulders, chiseled abs, muscular as f**k, veins popping -> also very sexualised.

The fact is that game are for ENTERTAINMENT. If you're marketing to a specific group you add what the group likes to that game. Men like sex. Women like sex. In games like COD and FIFA this is obviously not the case for either gender. But in fighting games, MMOs, RPGs, this is exactly what it's like because those games are made for a different genre so they're marketed differently. Getting offended about it is stupid, only seeing women as being misrepresented is sexist towards men. The reason why you don't hear men complain is because men don't care. The reason why you hear complaints about women is because feminists care and they're loud as f**k.
And the sky is blue, what do you expect? People are ***** on the internet so naturally that same behaviour would be replicated in online gaming, the power of anonymity coupled with just spending under an hour until you probably don't have to talk to that person again means do can do whatever with little repercussion.
Oh. my. freaking. god.

I was worried that Daenerys had returned.

Stop resurrecting what ought to stay dead people.

Quick Reply

Latest