The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Current First Year Student - Any questions?

Hi all, this time last year I was quite nervous about what to expect in September. Honestly it's not as bad as you may think, and I'm the nervous type haha.

People helped me last year on this site, so I thought I would do the same. I will be looking at this thread all the way til September so please ask me any questions, no matter how small.

A bit about myself. I live in Trafalgar Halls at the moment and they are the best but also the most expensive Halls in Portsmouth. I do Accounting and Finance so I can answer some questions about the Business School here at Portsmouth.

So ask away :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Oooh look another first year student XD

(Also a first year student at Portsmouth XD)
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Hi, Im planning on staying in Trafalgar next year, what are the rooms like?
Reply 3
Original post by MarcusLangford
Hi, Im planning on staying in Trafalgar next year, what are the rooms like?

Hi Marcus,

Tragalgar is definitely the best halls in Portsmouth. The kitckens are a good size as are the rooms. All the decent clubs and pubs are just down the road as well.

Walls are quite thin so you will hear your neighbours a little.
Washing facilities are relatively good but quite expensive. I would recommend getting a drying rack as you save money from not using the dryer.

There are frequent issues with the lifts so watch out for that. I'l take a few pictures of my flat and the building itself if you would like?

Do you have any specific questions about Trafalgar?
How hard would you say (on a scale of 1-10) are the units on the business and management course, if known?
Reply 5
Original post by LaBrigade
How hard would you say (on a scale of 1-10) are the units on the business and manag
ement course, if known?

Hello there, my flatmate does a similar course and she finds it okay. From what she says there are a few units that are challenging and some are easy.

The first year is obviously the easiest and usually has an economics unit and a maths unit (Quantative Methods). So if you have done an economicss and maths A Level, those will be very easy.

To answer the question, I have been told it would be about a 7. But honestly it depends on each person.
Original post by JonFG
Hello there, my flatmate does a similar course and she finds it okay. From what she says there are a few units that are challenging and some are easy.

The first year is obviously the easiest and usually has an economics unit and a maths unit (Quantative Methods). So if you have done an economicss and maths A Level, those will be very easy.

To answer the question, I have been told it would be about a 7. But honestly it depends on each person.

Hey,
thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Hmm I still need to pass my GCSE maths...oh man, does sound a bit scary!
Original post by JonFG
Hi Marcus,

Tragalgar is definitely the best halls in Portsmouth. The kitckens are a good size as are the rooms. All the decent clubs and pubs are just down the road as well.

Walls are quite thin so you will hear your neighbours a little.
Washing facilities are relatively good but quite expensive. I would recommend getting a drying rack as you save money from not using the dryer.

There are frequent issues with the lifts so watch out for that. I'l take a few pictures of my flat and the building itself if you would like?

Do you have any specific questions about Trafalgar?

Thanks! and yeah pictures would be great, didn't get a chance to visit when I came down!
Hello :smile: Im going to be doing Accounting and Finance, i wanted to ask what textbooks i would need for the first year :smile:
Reply 9
Hello there,

I believe all the textbooks are all listed online. I am also selling all my old books so if anyone needs them then feel free to ask. Some will now be old editions but loads of people use old editions as they are cheaper and not that different.

The books I used last year were:

Accounting and Finance: An Introduction by Eddie McLaney and Peter Atrill

Essentials of Economics by John Slogan and Dean Garratt. They do use this book but it is awful. I absolutely recommend that you use A Level books for Economics as they are better at explaining stuff then this book.

Introduction to Business Law by Lucy Jones

Organizational Behaviour by Andrzej A. Huczynski and David A. Buchanan. This is one of many books you can use for Organisational Behaviour, a part of Organisational Management Accounting.

The is also a study book for Toolbox but it is NEVER used. So don't even bother buying it as it's a waste of money.

Hope this helps and if you want my books then let me know.
Do you know where I could see the list online? l thought were going to be sent a reading list from the uni haha. But yes omg that would be great if I could buy the books from you!
Reply 11
Errrrrrrr....I think the list is on the Library website somewhere. If you would like my books feel free to private message me and I can sort that out for you :biggrin:
Oh I don't think I have access to it yet. Um how do I private message haaha sorry I'm not really good with this I'm new
Original post by K_Accounting
Do you know where I could see the list online? l thought were going to be sent a reading list from the uni haha. But yes omg that would be great if I could buy the books from you!

Sorry, was having a browse on these boards
Found this:
https://port.rl.talis.com/departments/accfin.html
Or if that doesn't help then this might!
http://www.port.ac.uk/library/subject/business/accounting/
Reply 14
Any thoughts on the International Business course?
Reply 15
Original post by cdude
Any thoughts on the International Business course?

Hello there,

I haven't heard anything about the International Business course I'm afraid so I can't answer specifically to your course.

However, I can say that Portsmouth has a great Business School with ample facilities and help if you need it.
Just saw this, thank you so much :smile:
Reply 17
Hi, I'm going to study accounting and finance at Portsmouth, just wanted to know if it is easy to make friends. Also I've heard from people that the course is hard is that true??

thanks
Reply 18
I'm a huge introvert, much as I try to play it off with friends. What the hell do I do in freshers week? :s-smilie:
Original post by _woah_
I'm a huge introvert, much as I try to play it off with friends. What the hell do I do in freshers week? :s-smilie:

Before I went to Uni I was much more introverted than I am now (given, I'm still rather extrovert) but I tried to take all the opportunities I could and push myself for new experiences whilst at the same time respecting my comfort zone.
If you don't feel happy to do that my best advice is to be yourself. You're going to be here for 3+ years and if you're trying to be something you're not it will come out eventually so honestly just be you.
If you don't like going out or if you're shy then work your way up to meeting people and conversations. There are lots of conversation starters and I know people that were happy to sit and watch a movie rather than constantly be on socials all the time.

Once you make friends you'll find your feet and feel more comfortable and come out of your shell a bit more.
Everyone's new so please don't worry about it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest