The Student Room Group

Do non-white Brits feel like guests in Britain?

Born and raised here, still feel like Im in someone else's house tbh, but thats down to being purposely made to feel that way, I didnt notice it as a kid, I felt proud to be British and thought I was equal, but in my adult life I clocked on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Genuinely heartbreaking to read this. :frown: I'm white but I am proud of our multi-ethnic culture. I mean, Britain's entire history can be summed up by the word "immigration".

May I ask what makes you feel this way? Who makes you purposely feel like you don't belong? What made you "clock on" to the idea you're not equal?
What made you feel that way?
Reply 3
Original post by Skyy9432
Genuinely heartbreaking to read this. :frown: I'm white but I am proud of our multi-ethnic culture. I mean, Britain's entire history can be summed up by the word "immigration".

May I ask what makes you feel this way? Who makes you purposely feel like you don't belong? What made you "clock on" to the idea you're not equal?

Original post by jedanselemyia
What made you feel that way?

I suspect many non-white britd feel this way.. my reason is.. though I think Britain is great and all that racisl tensions are quite high, now more than ever due to this whole immigration propaganda its separated us even more.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
racisl tensions are quite high, now more than ever due to this whole immigration propaganda its separated us even more.]

Fair enough point, man. People love scapegoats for their problems.

Also, I your profile pic is incredibly relevant to your thread. Just sayin'.
I don't feel like a guest - I feel very much at home here. I'm guessing you've encountered a lot of racism, OP? :frown: I'm a born-and-bred Londoner, so I guess it's more natural for me to feel at home here :dontknow:
tfw someone said to me 'go back to india you paki'

legit lol'd
Reply 7
Original post by Skyy9432
Fair enough point, man. People love scapegoats for their problems.

Also, I your profile pic is incredibly relevant to your thread. Just sayin'.

Thing is I honestly belive alot of native Brits think any shade of brown=pakistani muslim + immigration x bomb = terrorist

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by T.I.P
I suspect many non-white britd feel this way.. my reason is.. though I think Britain is great and all that racisl tensions are quite high, now more than ever due to this whole immigration propaganda its separated us even more.Posted from TSR Mobile

As a non white Brit, I get you on this. A lot.
But you need to realise that we are as entitled to be British as the others! Our ancestors (what's your heritage?) and ourselves have and still are contribuiting to Britain massively. It doesn't matter what the others say
Reply 9
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't feel like a guest - I feel very much at home here. I'm guessing you've encountered a lot of racism, OP? :frown: I'm a born-and-bred Londoner, so I guess it's more natural for me to feel at home here :dontknow:

If I had a quid for every time I encountered racists Id be a millionaire. I remember going on a lads weekend to liverpool few years back, we had to leave early and head home due to racial tensions etc, one of my friends was glassed, I was punched etc and we were literally sat having a drink, this is just one example. Maybe Ive just had it tough but I do think, non-white brits as a whole aren't considered British by the mass public.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by T.I.P
Born and raised here, still feel like Im in someone else's house tbh, but thats down to being purposely made to feel that way, I didnt notice it as a kid, I felt proud to be British and thought I was equal, but in my adult life I clocked on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by T.I.P
I suspect many non-white britd feel this way.. my reason is.. though I think Britain is great and all that racisl tensions are quite high, now more than ever due to this whole immigration propaganda its separated us even more.
Posted from TSR Mobile

You hit the nail on the head on this one, pal. I'm the same way. I'd bet a large amount of money that many non-white brits feel the same way to some degree, even if silently.

I suspect this is why many ethnic communities (including mine) take such a strong interest in their 'ethnic homelands', it gives a sense of belonging and acceptance that is not present in today's British society. For some reason I think the nineties was better....but maybe that's because I was a kid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Well as a British born Oriental guy I definitely don't feel like I have a chance with white British girls. :frown:
Yeah I do. Not accepted by British people or by country of origin. It's a sad situation really but just have to hope that we're not deported by the far right as we'll have nowhere to go.
Reply 13
I have no problem with non white british citizens. Don't change anything I do around them.

However I people I know have developed a negative stigma to non whites due to all the racial tension via the loose immigration policy.

A lot of people seem to be under this twisted mind set that if someone's not white or Christian they're not british.

I feel your pain and hopefully people wake up and smell the coffee eventually. We're slowly turning into the Deep South..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Depleted
Yeah I do. Not accepted by British people or by country of origin. It's a sad situation really but just have to hope that we're not deported by the far right as we'll have nowhere to go.

Funny you should say that..

When I went to Jamaica they were like "hes not one of us he's to British" in Britain "hes not one of us he's to black"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
What does it mean to be British anyway?
Reply 16
Original post by Tom102
I have no problem with non white british citizens. Don't change anything I do around them.

However I people I know have developed a negative stigma to non whites due to all the racial tension via the loose immigration policy.

A lot of people seem to be under this twisted mind set that if someone's not white or Christian they're not british.

I feel your pain and hopefully people wake up and smell the coffee eventually. We're slowly turning into the Deep South..

Posted from TSR Mobile

You know what though, I think this immigration thing we got going on is a result of this media attention on muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I feel more British than a lot of the whites I know. My parents are second generstion immigrants yet they seem a loooot more British than a lot of their white friends.
Original post by T.I.P
If I had a quid for every time I encountered racists Id be a millionaire. I remember going on a lads weekend to liverpool few years back, we had to leave early and head home due to racial tensions etc, one of my friends was glassed, I was punched etc and we were literally sat having a drink, this is just one example. Maybe Ive just had it tough but I do think, non-white brits as a whole aren't considered British by the mass public.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really sorry to hear people have given you that much grief - I can see now why you feel the way you do :s-smilie: I don't think you get many racists like that in London. I've only had two examples of racism happen to me thus far, and one wasn't even to my face. Guess I've been lucky! :console:
Original post by T.I.P
Funny you should say that..

When I went to Jamaica they were like "hes not one of us he's to British" in Britain "hes not one of us he's to black"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah man that's the struggle. We've missed out on our original heritage and are not accepted as part of the British one. The best we can hope for is just living here in accepted for the rest of our days, if we get sent back then we're ****ed.

Quick Reply

Latest