The Student Room Group

How do people afford stuff?!

This is more of a semi-rant and also a total first world problem so no need to tell me that.

Everyone around me is going on expensive holidays, buying new cars, buying new phones, getting a mortgage, spending £200 on a handbag, going travelling, getting their hair done, getting their nails done... You name it. HOW DO PEOPLE AFFORD THIS STUFF?!

I work 40 hours a week and after rent, gym membership, travel, bills, driving lessons and savings (a modest £150 a month) I have very little left. I shop at aldi, I buy my clothes in charity shops, I can't afford to upgrade my phone beyond the £18 I current pay a month, a holiday is a distant concept, I cut and dye my own hair. In fact the only real 'extra' thing I can afford is train tickets to visit my partner once a month.

I'm constantly having to turn down invitations to visit friends from uni, I rarely go on nights out, if I go for dinner I'll get the cheapest thing available.

Yet there are people I know who earn less than I do who have nice things, they have new cars, ipads, expensive clothes. They randomly decide to go to Paris one weekend and off they go.

It's slightly depressing that after 6 years of university and finally getting a decent job, I still can't afford anything.

What am I doing wrong?!

Scroll to see replies

Your problem is that you are an employee. If you want to be wealthy and financially free, you need to be self employed/run your own business. Only then will you be able to break out of the cycle of working for a (low paid) paycheck.

My advice is learn how to make money online. By doing so you can work your own hours, in whatever location you are and gradually build your income up until you can quit your job.

Start learning to make money online by joining the Warrior Forums and reading some books about making money. Google 'The Science Of Getting Rich', 'Speed Wealth' by T harv Eker, & 'Think & Grow Rich'. Read 'The Four Hour Work Week' by Tim Ferris.

After this starting point, take action and work towards being free from the need to work for someone else. Grow your income gradually over a few years by setting up multiple streams of passive income which will bring in income whether you work or not.

The easiest way to start making money online is to provide a service and market it online or do freelance work via freelance sites. Good luck.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88

Everyone around me is going on expensive holidays, buying new cars, buying new phones, getting a mortgage, spending £200 on a handbag, going travelling, getting their hair done, getting their nails done... You name it. HOW DO PEOPLE AFFORD THIS STUFF?!

Perhaps they're not saving as much as others

I work 40 hours a week and after rent, gym membership, travel, bills, driving lessons and savings (a modest £150 a month) I have very little left.

What am I doing wrong?

Just sounds like low pay. I'm guessing <£1500/mo? Or perhaps your rent is a large % of your income.

Original post by BeDirectWomen

After this starting point, take action and work towards being free from the need to work for someone else. Grow your income gradually over a few years by setting up multiple streams of passive income which will bring in income whether you work or not.

Pretty much this. Either start saving for investments, start a business or start freelancing.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is more of a semi-rant and also a total first world problem so no need to tell me that.

I work 40 hours a week and after rent, gym membership, travel, bills, driving lessons and savings (a modest £150 a month) I have very little left. I shop at aldi, I buy my clothes in charity shops, I can't afford to upgrade my phone beyond the £18 I current pay a month, a holiday is a distant concept, I cut and dye my own hair. In fact the only real 'extra' thing I can afford is train tickets to visit my partner once a month.

I'm constantly having to turn down invitations to visit friends from uni, I rarely go on nights out, if I go for dinner I'll get the cheapest thing available.

Yet there are people I know who earn less than I do who have nice things, they have new cars, ipads, expensive clothes. They randomly decide to go to Paris one weekend and off they go.

It's slightly depressing that after 6 years of university and finally getting a decent job, I still can't afford anything.

What am I doing wrong?!

maybe they aren't paying gym membership or for driving lessons or saving any money
Maybe they earn more than you?

I feel the same sometimes, until I realise my friends are getting £7 an hour working in a shop and I'm at University so makes sense they'd have more money than me.
Original post by NX172
Perhaps they're not saving as much as others

Just sounds like low pay. I'm guessing <£1500/mo? Or perhaps your rent is a large % of your income.

Pretty much this. Either start saving for investments, start a business or start freelancing.

I'm on 21k which I class as I good income for a first job... But I suppose it's pretty low on average. After all the deductions I bring home around 1300 p/m

Original post by stemmery
Maybe they earn more than you?

I feel the same sometimes, until I realise my friends are getting £7 an hour working in a shop and I'm at University so makes sense they'd have more money than me.

But these are people who even have the same wage as me. I know some people who are on minimum wage and still splashing out. Who knows maybe they're dealing drugs or something.
How much is your rent?
Either getting it on credit since 20 somethings tend to think that's a reasonable way to live your life or they simply earn more than you. That applies to the clothes/fancy holidays.
Original post by Keyhofi
How much is your rent?

£425

But these are people who even have the same wage as me. I know some people who are on minimum wage and still splashing out. Who knows maybe they're dealing drugs or something.

So they maybe don't have rent to pay or it's smaller than yours. Maybe they've had savings from before and/or come from a wealthier family than yours. Maybe they don't pay for a gym membership or have driving lessons. What does it matter? Learn to manage your finances and save up and you can afford these things too.
6 years of uni. And you're still broke.:sigh:

What did you study?

They are probably in the drugs game, hanging outside a council estate selling that white.

Uni is a chumps game, who needs a degree? I should move to Mexico and become a drug cartel

!Ay Caramba Mexico here I come.[s]:bandit:
(edited 8 years ago)
£425

That's pretty good. I'm probably going to sound rude doing this, but let's examine the actual numbers:

You take home £1300 a month according to your earlier post.

£425 goes on rent. Leaves £825. (Does this include bills????)
£150 for savings. Leaves £725.
Let's say food and your phone bill costs £150 a month. Leaves £575.
Miscellaneous could be £200 a month (essential items, memberships or contracts, travel and so on). This will almost certainly be an enourmous overestimate, but I'm playing it safe here.

You are left with almost £100 a week.

Where is this money going? Over a few months that could afford a holiday. You could spend it on nice stuff. That culd easily cover nights out.

Have I missed something here?

What am I doing wrong?!

There is a possibility that although it seems like they can afford those things, they could in fact be putting them on credit cards or have debt you have no idea about.

The only suggestions I could come up with is to look at switching any bills to any different providers quite often that could be cheaper, have i understood that you re putting £150 in savings a month, if so i doubt any of your friends have anywhere near that and take some comfort in that if anything happens you have emergency money where as these people with their expensive things probably dont have a back up plan
Also you say you travel to see your partner by train, are you buying these tickets online, in advance and also getting cashback or loyalty points when buying them?

make sure you re using every trick in the book with them:P

What am I doing wrong?!

I feel you. But my experience is most of these people have no savings at all and/or use debt etc. I'd rather have financial security than random materialistic items. I'm sure you'll be in a better position than them in years to come - don't splash out just because you feel everyone else is doing it. A lot of people also get support from their parents. But a lot of my friends you'd think 'had money' but in reality, they are constantly broke. I met someone the other day who is considering spending their student loan on a new car, people want to portray a certain image, regardless of actual income. Don't worry about it and enjoy your life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Keyhofi
That's pretty good. I'm probably going to sound rude doing this, but let's examine the actual numbers:

You take home £1300 a month according to your earlier post.

£425 goes on rent. Leaves £825. (Does this include bills????)
£150 for savings. Leaves £725.
Let's say food and your phone bill costs £150 a month. Leaves £575.
Miscellaneous could be £200 a month (essential items, memberships or contracts, travel and so on). This will almost certainly be an enourmous overestimate, but I'm playing it safe here.

You are left with almost £100 a week.

Where is this money going? Over a few months that could afford a holiday. You could spend it on nice stuff. That culd easily cover nights out.

Have I missed something here?

Rent doesn't include bills which average £30 a month, more in winter.

I'm paying £200 + a month on driving lessons. So that's the miscellaneous money gone already. I'd be paying similar for a car so I don't see this as an exception particularly.

I'm having to spend around £40 per week (return train ticket of £5.20 plus bus on other side return of £2.20)on travel because of aforementioned lack of car. (this is despite having a railcard). I spend an average of £30 a week on food.

Three-weekly trips to visit partner averaging around £50 for train ticket.

If you take away all that plus other stuff that comes up: birthday presents, the odd night out, a few bits and bobs. It doesn't leave much.
Rent doesn't include bills which average £30 a month, more in winter.

I'm paying £200 + a month on driving lessons. So that's the miscellaneous money gone already. I'd be paying similar for a car so I don't see this as an exception particularly.

I'm having to spend around £40 per week (return train ticket of £5.20 plus bus on other side return of £2.20)on travel because of aforementioned lack of car. (this is despite having a railcard). I spend an average of £30 a week on food.

Three-weekly trips to visit partner averaging around £50 for train ticket.

If you take away all that plus other stuff that comes up: birthday presents, the odd night out, a few bits and bobs. It doesn't leave much.

Ok fair point. I do see ways for you to cut down costs though:

1. Move closer to your job. Get a place within cycling distance (3 mile radius typically) or within walking distance (1 mile radius). Estimated saving: £160 a month.
2. Visiting your partner three times a week is quite frequent. Try cutting it down to once a week and use video calls to stay in contact during other times? Estimated saving: £120+ a month.
3. Try your best to lower the food bill to £25 a week. Most people can manage on less than £20 a week by cooking at home a lot. Estimated saving: £20 a month.

Overall saving: £300 a month.

I can bet your friends aren't doing all three of the above, and that is why they may have more money leftover.
Original post by Keyhofi
Ok fair point. I do see ways for you to cut down costs though:

1. Move closer to your job. Get a place within cycling distance (3 mile radius typically) or within walking distance (1 mile radius). Estimated saving: £160 a month.
2. Visiting your partner three times a week is quite frequent. Try cutting it down to once a week and use video calls to stay in contact during other times? Estimated saving: £120+ a month.
3. Try your best to lower the food bill to £25 a week. Most people can manage on less than £20 a week by cooking at home a lot. Estimated saving: £20 a month.

Overall saving: £300 a month.

I can bet your friends aren't doing all three of the above, and that is why they may have more money leftover.

1. Where I work is pretty rural, I live in the closest city. The places near are posh villages and seaside resorts which are expensive to rent. Plus I would rather be poor than live in the arse end of nowhere! What's annoying is its literally a 20 minute journey, but because it's so hard to get to I have to use a combination of trains and buses.

2. Haha I meant every three weeks! There's no way I'd be able to do that 3 times a week!

3. Duly noted, I do cook all my meals from scratch but tend to end up buying snacks on my way home from work which all adds up.
1. Where I work is pretty rural, I live in the closest city. The places near are posh villages and seaside resorts which are expensive to rent. Plus I would rather be poor than live in the arse end of nowhere! What's annoying is its literally a 20 minute journey, but because it's so hard to get to I have to use a combination of trains and buses.

2. Haha I meant every three weeks! There's no way I'd be able to do that 3 times a week!

3. Duly noted, I do cook all my meals from scratch but tend to end up buying snacks on my way home from work which all adds up.

I was worried those would be the answers for 1 and 2. I actually have never heard someone use the term three-weekly before so I googled it and it came up with three times a week :s-smilie:

At least now it is clear where other people are getting the money from that you aren't.

I guess moving to another job isn't an option? This is your dream job, it has a lot of potential for personal growth and promotion, and it is relaxing? If no then find one with a better location or a higher pay.

Have you considered freelance work on the side? Can boost your income by a bit.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Keyhofi
I was worried those would be the answers for 1 and 2. I actually have never heard someone use the term three-weekly before so I googled it and it came up with three times a week
:doh:

At least now it is clear where other people are getting the money from that you aren't.

I guess moving to another job isn't an option? This is your dream job, it has a lot of potential for personal growth and promotion, and it is relaxing? If no then find one with a better location or a higher pay.

Have you considered freelance work on the side? Can boost your income by a bit.

Yeah didn't really word it right haha.

Oh no, it's not my dream job at all but it's challenging as hell and hopefully will lead onto better things! I'm going to start looking for something else when I've been there a year.

It's not really something I can freelance tbh! I wish it was!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending