The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Warwick Law?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I think all firms say this but vary it to a degree. Freshfields says a 2.1 in every year not just a 2.1 overall but there will be people there without that and that can be quite difficult to get particularly in your first year. Yeah they say something like that. The people I know there missed 2.1s overall and there were people on the vac scheme with 2.2 modules.

Original post by MillieXYZ
Yeah I agree, I think our experiences may differ but my general point was that for some reason or other, Slaughters seems to be an acquired taste.

Yeah, I think that goes back to my 'whim' argument. I think people tend to be more likely to apply for A&O/CC than Slaughters with a low 2.1 (even if there are people with varying 2.1 degrees at the latter) Or even if they're just not sure what kind of firm they want. From what I remember, Slaughter mention needing a strong/high 2.1 somewhere on their site, may be mistaken though. Out of interest, is that a 2.2 across the degree or in modules?
Original post by MillieXYZ
I think the intake of Slaughters is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Plenty of able students just don’t seem to be interested in the firm either because of stories that they've heard (sometimes spread by other firms..the shock horror when told that apparently 'if a partner enters the lift, you stop your conversation and be silent) or people that they've met from the firm. I’m not sure how many of those ‘Blondes and Blues’ would be applying to Slaughters partly because of the perception held of the firm by lots of undergrads. Even in terms of campus/college promotion, they differ massively from some firms. Also, strikes me as you might apply to CC or A&O on a hunch (i.e low 2.1) but you’re very unlikely to bother doing that at Slaughters where you’re given very subtle hints throughout the process to get lost with less than a decentish 2.1 Have a look at the CC/ graduate recruitment Facebook page where their graduate recruiters are thrust into the spotlight/generally making themselves known and compare it to Slaughters. Would be interesting to know the breakdown in TC apps/places since I wouldn't be surprised if Slaughters is near the bottom.CC strikes many as more diverse because of their Intelligent Aid scheme, but aside from that, its intake is pretty similar to the rest. In terms of ethnic diversity, it does seem to be top from what I’ve seen. They claim to use a CV blind policy, but my first question was what university do you attend?

I agree with HP no one really seemed put off applying by the Slaughters rep, just felt it was, as my oh so PC mate famously described it, 'a bit autistic' at the interviews, and VS if they did one. Incredibly good technically, but yeah, not going to win a 7s tournament.

Lol at CC's oh so subtle line of questioning.

Original post by hp112
I agree in a way. I think Freshfields looks for more rounded applicants with other interests as well as the great academics. They rejected two people from my college without interview who had distinction in Law Mods but invited the other two with distinctions because they had other interests. I got offers from both and there were probably more first class/masters people at Freshies than SM. Personality comes into play too and I think people miss howe different the firm cultures are (between all firms). Freshies was quite collaborative and polite and they said they didn't like pushiness or cockiness. Links trainees in my mind are quite different and very focused/individual. Both are hot on Oxbridge (as is Links but they're very international). Not sure I'd say Freshies are super attractive though! (apart from me of course... :smile: ) Plenty of good looking one's at Slaughters as well. A&O I'd say has the best looking blokes by a mile!

I agree Freshfields don't like cocky, the captain of the Red Boys did a VS there my year and the consensus of the others who went was that he managed to bray his way out of the TC. He's at A&O now by the looks of things so turned out alright.

Haha, my mate at A&O will be pleased. Freshies by far the best girls in my experience.
Original post by studyworm
I am surprised they offered just AAB, I was expecting AAA. Do they still ask for the LNAT test?

No, they don't. I read they used to eh? glad they don't now as I want to apply there soon.
Reply 83
Hey all. Just to update you I insured Nottingham in the end.

The AAB gives me some flexibility incase I don't get my firm offer A*AA. I believe Nottingham is more established and recognised in terms of Law edging Warwick. I also think I'd have a better social experience at Nottingham. Although the course at Warwick was really tempting and is a brilliant uni.

Thanks.
Reply 84
Original post by welcometoib
hi lutherbae, kings is crap and competes with strathclyde, ill let you kiss the shoes of people from warwick though if they accept

Let me guess: you're going to Warwick?

(FYI: Warwick is definitely not better than KCL for Law. Definitely)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Let me guess: you're going to Warwick?

(FYI: Warwick is definitely not better than KCL for Law. Definitely)

Posted from TSR Mobile

im not going there, im already here . i agree, kings smashes warwick for law.
Reply 86
Hi,
i was offered both last year and went with Nottingham for multiple reasons
Firstly, the overall university experience. Wawrick is very campus based, its geographical position makes it harder to get off campus to ie other cities, nights out off campus ect. Nottingham is a lot more city-oriented. Travel around the city is very easy and you Nottingham Trent close by if you want to be social with others. If you are a city person like me, then Nottingham is more suited for you. If you prefer the campus oriented feel, then try Wawrick.
As a current Nottingham law student i am slightly biased, however i would definitely recommend Nottingham law school! It's links with MC firms is amazing, we hold the national law fair and often have esteemed solicitors coming in to offer us opportunities. I have also been told by multiple recruits that Nottingham is particularly targeted after Cambridge and Oxford for graduate recruits. The law school is also widely known for its superior research. If you are going for a career in commercial law as i am, i would most definitely recommend Nottingham.
However i must point out that Nottingham Law is not one of those 'ill survive on 40%' universities. It is widely known among MC firms for being harsh markers. As long as you're willing to put in the work then you'll be fine.
I'm surprised at the entry requirements this year, last year they were A*AA, but either way they are surprisingly lenient with entry, i have friends who missed their offer by 1 grade and still got in.
Once again this is clearly biased as i am a Nottingham student, but this is my attempt at giving you the information you might need to help make your decision. At the end of the day they are both great Uni's and i'm sure you will do well at either.
Original post by lay11
Hi,
i was offered both last year and went with Nottingham for multiple reasons
Firstly, the overall university experience. Wawrick is very campus based, its geographical position makes it harder to get off campus to ie other cities, nights out off campus ect. Nottingham is a lot more city-oriented. Travel around the city is very easy and you Nottingham Trent close by if you want to be social with others. If you are a city person like me, then Nottingham is more suited for you. If you prefer the campus oriented feel, then try Wawrick.
As a current Nottingham law student i am slightly biased, however i would definitely recommend Nottingham law school! It's links with MC firms is amazing, we hold the national law fair and often have esteemed solicitors coming in to offer us opportunities. I have also been told by multiple recruits that Nottingham is particularly targeted after Cambridge and Oxford for graduate recruits. The law school is also widely known for its superior research. If you are going for a career in commercial law as i am, i would most definitely recommend Nottingham.
However i must point out that Nottingham Law is not one of those 'ill survive on 40%' universities. It is widely known among MC firms for being harsh markers. As long as you're willing to put in the work then you'll be fine.
I'm surprised at the entry requirements this year, last year they were A*AA, but either way they are surprisingly lenient with entry, i have friends who missed their offer by 1 grade and still got in.
Once again this is clearly biased as i am a Nottingham student, but this is my attempt at giving you the information you might need to help make your decision. At the end of the day they are both great Uni's and i'm sure you will do well at either.

The issue is 17 year olds download UK league tables and think Nottingham can't be elite if they rank 25th overall and average less than AABbb in terms of entry grades. The reality is Nottingham is around a top 12-13 UK university, with a top 5 Law school that has long been a favourite of MC firms.
Reply 88
Warwick. The name. The brand, The quality of the alumni. The networking opportunities.
Say you've been predicted AAB- but you end up getting the grades matching the requirements for Nottingham /Warwick, could there still be places available through Adjust?
Think I'm a bit late to the party, but oh well.

I'm currently a Law undergrad at Notts, so if you have any questions let me know.

I chose Nottingham and Durham over Warwick, in the end, but it was a hard choice.

I selected Nottingham based on the security of knowing I would be going to a top 10 law school (good academic side) and at the same time be attending a University with one of the best social life in the UK. Warwick is good for Law and will set you up well, but I think on the whole Nottingham edges it.

Someone posted above and quite rightly too, that Nottingham hand out more 2.2s. This is correct. It is harder to get a 2.1 at this University then at other Universities for law.

As for MC representation, Nottingham is a leader. I think someone posted a table which reflected this. MC firms host events every week at the campus, there is always something going on if you're interested in that type of thing.

As I said, if anyone has any questions let me know.
Original post by Ami T. O
Say you've been predicted AAB- but you end up getting the grades matching the requirements for Nottingham /Warwick, could there still be places available through Adjust?

I don't think Nottingham Law has ever been in clearing. Interestingly Warwick Law was on clearing in the same year I started (2015) - I was quite surprised really. I'm not sure if that was the case this year.
Warwick definitely. Has stronger reputation internationally.

I've posted elsewhere, but just want more views and opinions so can you check this out please: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4469328#primary_content much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest