The Student Room Group

Universities With The Least International Students?

I am applying to university. Which top UK universities have the least internationals? (I like foreigners but I want to save feeling out of place in my own country for after I graduate).

I have heard even Oxbridge and the London greats such as UCL and KCL are full of internationals.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There aren't that many. At worst, 15-30%, the majority will be from home so get over it
You are obsessed with being surrounded with English people.

I'm sure you can find these stats on another website.
Reply 3
LSE would be perfect for you! I suggest you take a look. ICL is a great place full of "proper" people too if you're looking down the science route!

Why not visit them and let us know if they're for you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Tom102
LSE would be perfect for you! I suggest you take a look. ICL is a great place full of "proper" people too if you're looking down the science route!

Why not visit them and let us know if they're for you?

I don't think English people are more "proper."

A specific type of international I'm hoping to avoid: (the nouveau riche European types who look down on others, esp. the less well off). Would go on but I posted about this before and got carded.
Reply 5
Original post by EatAndRevise
You are obsessed with being surrounded with English people.

I'm sure you can find these stats on another website.

Which sites?

ChoccyPhilly
There aren't that many. At worst, 15-30%, the majority will be from home so get over it

That's a lot.
And you don't think home students will be like that? Don't go to Durham or st Andrews then cos they're full of rich snobby Oxbridge rejects, most of which are British.

I think you'll find that the international students are more modest as they're coming to a different country without any experience of living here before. Why would they allieniate people with said attitude you're on about?
Reply 7
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
And you don't think home students will be like that? Don't go to Durham or st Andrews then cos they're full of rich snobby Oxbridge rejects, most of which are British.

I think you'll find that the international students are more modest as they're coming to a different country without any experience of living here before. Why would they allieniate people with said attitude you're on about?

I am focused on the London unis because London is a very English city, but I have heard London actually has less home grown "rahs" (who tend to go for Durham etc. like you said, anywhere away from Mummy/Daddy down south) and more of the nouveau riche sort who want to live in the UKs best city.

Yes I've heard many are like that but some are the sort who expect that their parent's credit card will buy them status so to speak. (I am not making this up, friends/relatives have been to London unis and reported back).
Dude, I'm from Sotheby's Norfolk where it's about 98% white. Last year there were 5 exchange students from Europe and I became very good friends with all of them. None of them were snobby or had a superior complex. The people who I thought were friends ended up turning nasty with no one to put them in their place and those exchange students became my best friends and were all amazingto hang out with.

Do you know how much mre fun eurovision is watching it with exchange students?

what's all the worry about?
Haha mate. London is so diverse. Farage is right in that you can barely go on a bus without hearing s foreign language. Whether you find it a problem, down to opinion but I don't know where you're getting your information from
Reply 10
Original post by ChoccyPhilly
Dude, I'm from Sotheby's Norfolk where it's about 98% white. Last year there were 5 exchange students from Europe and I became very good friends with all of them. None of them were snobby or had a superior complex. The people who I thought were friends ended up turning nasty with no one to put them in their place and those exchange students became my best friends and were all amazingto hang out with.

Do you know how much mre fun eurovision is watching it with exchange students?

what's all the worry about?

Which university do you attend?

I am focused on Oxbridge/London ones btw. Sorry I should have been clearer. I heard that the rich internationals tend to go for these and can often be horrible to Brits/cliquey. :s-smilie:

I like meeting those from other countries but I don't want to be bullied.
Fewest* (not 'least').
Original post by UKIProud

I am focused on Oxbridge/London ones btw. Sorry I should have been clearer. I heard that the rich internationals tend to go for these and can often be horrible to Brits/cliquey. :s-smilie:

You're more likely to get bullied by someone from home than from somewhere else in the world.

I'm not. I'm in year 13 but I was born in London and lived there for most of my life. seriously, you won't be able to escape the condescending students but they could easily be someone british
Reply 13
Original post by NikolaT
Fewest* (not 'least').

Tbh, if the number of international students is more of a decisive factor in what university you apply to than the quality of the degree, prestige of the school, location etc then I don't think you deserve a higher education.

If anything what's needed are some classes in diversity, tolerance and how to overcome cultural barriers.

We live in a global world now more so than ever. If you can't deal with that...jog on m8.
Reply 15
Original post by JAndrade1
Tbh, if the number of international students is more of a decisive factor in what university you apply to than the quality of the degree, prestige of the school, location etc then I don't think you deserve a higher education.

If anything what's needed are some classes in diversity, tolerance and how to overcome cultural barriers.

We live in a global world now more so than ever. If you can't deal with that...jog on m8.

I don't think English people are more "proper."

A specific type of international I'm hoping to avoid: (the nouveau riche European types who look down on others, esp. the less well off). Would go on but I posted about this before and got carded.

Your language has quite a few foreign words. :eek: Very worrying.
(edited 8 years ago)

I have multiple friends from various countries and honestly they are some of the nicest people i have ever met. They are more likely to face bullying than you and will almost certainly be decent human beings.

there is no reason to think that international students would bully you more than british students, most will be people interested in their subject hoping to meet cool people and have a good education not snobs looking to make judgements and bully people based on where they are from.

Btw, I'm an international student who will be starting uni in September. Can't wait to take all your benefits, steal your jobs and destroy your economy. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest