The Student Room Group

Copper IUD Hell??

Hi everyone,
I have never posted to a forum before but feel compelled to as i am currently needing advice.
Two weeks ago I had the Copper IUD inserted. Insertion itself was fine, however afterwards and for the rest of the day and evening i had awful cramping, so much so i had to go to bed for the rest of the day, as lying down seemed to ease the pain. This cramping got slightly better as the week went on and by day 3 i felt fine.

However I have just gotten my first period and it has been horrible. I am on day four and am still having awful period pains which have resulted in myself being up to my eyeballs with ibuprofen/ paracetamol and bed bound. Tried most period pain relief tablets with no success. So have been in bed for most of this period. I was warned this may happen but did not expect it to be THIS painful.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether there is light at the end of the tunnel, i.e does this get better the more periods i have?

I am seriously considering taking this out although i know that hormonal contraceptives also don't agree with me (have taken both combined and mini pill and suffered with constant nausea throughout both) yet nausea seems more desirable than being bed bound each month.

Any advice would be much appreciated !!!!
Thanks
Reply 1
I've had a copper IUD for nearly two years and my periods didn't get anymore painful but they did get longer and then went shorter after a few months so it is possible yours might get less painful overtime. Maybe you could look into the IUS if this carries on? I have a few friends who have it and they said it made their periods less painful and that they experienced less negative side effects with it than with other hormonal contraception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yvonne1993
Hi everyone,
I have never posted to a forum before but feel compelled to as i am currently needing advice.
Two weeks ago I had the Copper IUD inserted. Insertion itself was fine, however afterwards and for the rest of the day and evening i had awful cramping, so much so i had to go to bed for the rest of the day, as lying down seemed to ease the pain. This cramping got slightly better as the week went on and by day 3 i felt fine.

However I have just gotten my first period and it has been horrible. I am on day four and am still having awful period pains which have resulted in myself being up to my eyeballs with ibuprofen/ paracetamol and bed bound. Tried most period pain relief tablets with no success. So have been in bed for most of this period. I was warned this may happen but did not expect it to be THIS painful.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this and whether there is light at the end of the tunnel, i.e does this get better the more periods i have?

I am seriously considering taking this out although i know that hormonal contraceptives also don't agree with me (have taken both combined and mini pill and suffered with constant nausea throughout both) yet nausea seems more desirable than being bed bound each month.

Any advice would be much appreciated !!!!
Thanks

No no nooo...try staying with it a bit longer hun. I have an IUD and think it's definitely a good method of contraception if it can work for you, you should give it a few more months for your body to settle.

I'm actually on co codamol with it at the moment, because I get occasional horrible periods with it so maybe you could ask your GP for that? (Oh and get the 30mg/500mg, not the rubbishy 8mg/500mg- you're a suffering women for God's sake!!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest