The Student Room Group

Cornwall primary school makes trips to mosques mandetory for non-Muslim pupils

"Breitbart London reported earlier this week that ten families had not given consent for their children to travel from Lostwithiel School in Cornwall to Devon to visit the Exeter mosque, citing fears about violence and danger to their children from Muslims. Governors have now told parents that absences from the trip will not be allowed, citing the importance of ‘promoting different faiths and ethnicities’ to school-age children.
Earlier, school staff humiliated children who weren’t going on the trip by singling them out during assembly and asking them their reasons for not going on the trip.
Despite the school being in one of the least ethnically and religiously diverse counties in England, rising intolerance in Cornwall has been used as the reason for the trip, which will now take place next week. The Independent newspaper quotes Cornwall-resident Muslim Mostofa Abdul Rahman, who said that attitudes towards Muslims were changing for the worse."

Can they do this? Isn't it illegal?

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/05/01/cornwall-school-governors-make-mosque-trip-compulsory-following-guns-and-violence-fears/

Scroll to see replies

That seems illegal but this.. "citing fears about violence and danger to their children from Muslims." is pretty stupid.
I thought Cornwall was a nice area, what they doing taking them to mosques?
This will make the Cornish more tolerant, respectful, peace loving people who see the benefits of a multicultural society.
They are more likely to die from the radioactive radon gas down there than they are from a muslim terrorist attack.
Reply 5
Original post by Protégé
That seems illegal but this.. "citing fears about violence and danger to their children from Muslims." is pretty stupid.

Not really, if you couldn't tell the difference between poisonous berries and non-poisonous it would be best to steer clear of those sorts of berries altogether.

Likewise, when it comes to Muslim extremists we can't tell them apart from the nominal ones.......... we basically have a reactionary method of sub-categorisation.

I also fail to see any benefits in desensitising my (hypothetical) children to the idea of Islam by exposure that would warrant even the slightest of risks.
If I had children and if they attended that school, I would withdraw them instantly. Not because it's a mosque, but because it's compulsory, regardless of parents' wishes. And for what?
Definitely not illegal
It was done when I was in year 9, it was compulsory for everyone to visit a Hindu Temple.
It's good because people will increase their respect for human rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I doubt it was as compulsory as you make it. It can't have been forced upon them. But anyway what's the fuss about going to a mosque other than if they're being forced to go which is weird.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Skip_Snip
If I had children and if they attended that school, I would withdraw them instantly. Not because it's a mosque, but because it's compulsory, regardless of parents' wishes. And for what?

I'm guessing they think it will 'enrich' their children somehow. Maybe the Imams are going to give them all a pound each.....
As an athiest, I visited a Mosque and it was a nice experience to see how people do things differently. I think people should try to be as open minded as possible. However, it shouldn't be mandatory.
Original post by 1inaMillion
Not really, if you couldn't tell the difference between poisonous berries and non-poisonous it would be best to steer clear of those sorts of berries altogether.

Likewise, when it comes to Muslim extremists we can't tell them apart from the nominal ones.......... we basically have a reactionary method of sub-categorisation.

I also fail to see any benefits in desensitising my (hypothetical) children to the idea of Islam by exposure that would warrant even the slightest of risks.

It's still stupid. What risk could they encounter in a Mosque? Are they likely to be indoctrinated in a 30 minute visit?
Reply 12
So much for secularism.
Calling it stupid doesn't make it stupid.

And yes, this is part of indoctrination. If I force young children to attend a church of any kind with the intention of pushing a generalisation of any sort, it is indoctrination by definition.

They are being forced to go to a mosque and they are being spoon fed the stereotype that Muslims are nice to counter the bad stereotype that has/is being well earned though the actions (and non-actions) of the demographic at large.

You want to teach your children that people from demographic A, who are 15 times more likely to be found guilty of grooming children, are all nice people go right ahead. But you shouldn't be able to force others to do the same.

I'm not saying that it's right, I've been forced to go to religious institutions such as Churches before. How do you know that they're trying to push a generalisation?

There was a fear of 'violence' cited. People really think that their children will be assaulted in a Mosque, especially during a school trip? I don't recall much violence occurring in Mosques.

I don't think that a stereotype can be 'well earned' at all. You could say that a large percent of the Muslim population does x or believes in x but that doesn't mean all Muslims should be judged with that, especially since those who believe in stereotypes will very likely judge all people of that group in the same way.
They should take the children to the mosque and encourage them to ask questions to the imams there. Questions like these:

1. What happens or should happen to people who stop believing in Islam?
2. Are atheists or other non-Muslims necessarily immoral people, as compared to Muslims?
3. Is it okay to ridicule or criticise Muhammad?
4. Is Sharia law inferior to democracy, in your opinion?

But I suspect that they would actively discourage the students from asking these pertinent questions, in which case the trip is sinister and unhelpful.
Original post by Bloom77
Definitely not illegal
It was done when I was in year 9, it was compulsory for everyone to visit a Hindu Temple.
It's good because people will increase their respect for human rights.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you mean because it will show them how little respect Islam has for human rights?
Original post by Protégé
I'm not saying that it's right, I've been forced to go to religious institutions such as Churches before. How do you know that they're trying to push a generalisation?

There was a fear of 'violence' cited. People really think that their children will be assaulted in a Mosque, especially during a school trip? I don't recall much violence occurring in Mosques.

I don't think that a stereotype can be 'well earned' at all. You could say that a large percent of the Muslim population does x or believes in x but that doesn't mean all Muslims should be judged with that, especially since those who believe in stereotypes will very likely judge all people of that group in the same way.

They admittedly took the children there to challenge a negative stereotype that was causing community tensions.

Our whole perception of the world is built on generalisations, it's the foundation of understanding anything. Look up the philosophical concept if you care enough, I would try to explain it but I've been burned so many times before.

We challenge one generalisation with another, we see an anomaly event that doesn't fit the pattern and we theorise the cause re-evaluate ect. Trust me, they were pushing a generalisation to challenge one.
Original post by Skip_Snip

lucky you dont have children lol
They admittedly took the children there to challenge a negative stereotype that was causing community tensions.

Our whole perception of the world is built on generalisations, it's the foundation of understanding anything. Look up the philosophical concept if you care enough, I would try to explain it but I've been burned so many times before.

We challenge one generalisation with another, we see an anomaly event that doesn't fit the pattern and we theorise the cause re-evaluate ect. Trust me, they were pushing a generalisation to challenge one.

Ah, right. They're challenging negative stereotypes but I doubt that they're saying that all Muslims are angels.

Can't say that I care enough.

I personally do not make assumptions or generalisations when it comes to people.
Original post by Protégé
Ah, right. They're challenging negative stereotypes but I doubt that they're saying that all Muslims are angels.

Can't say that I care enough.

I personally do not make assumptions or generalisations when it comes to people.

Everyone does, on the subconscious level is just a fact that we are all racist overgeneralising jerks.

Whenever I hear someone say they aren't what I actually hear is;

"I'm a liar my pants or on fire" and/or "I am not self aware enough realise and thereby control my generalisations". lol

Latest

Trending

Trending