The Student Room Group

Anger

Do people on here not like anger or something. Whenever someone posts something about their b/f or g/f getting angry with them, people tell them to dump them if they don't control their anger.
As long as it doesn't transend into violence, I think outbursts of anger are a good thing as they destress you, but so many people on here seem to think that even a little display of anger means the person is a violent loose cannon.
Anger is fine, anger which is completely disproportionate to the provocation is moronic. Getting angry about trivial things can be a problem, and if nothing else a person liable to do so isn't going to be much fun to be around.
But the provocation is subjective to each person. One person might keep their cool in one situation, whereas another might blow their top. I have a very short temper, and will blow my top at some of the smallest things, but, at worst, it's annoying, for me and others. That doesn't mean I have psychological problems.
Reply 3
Anger is the normal reaction to being provoked. Excessive anger doesnt mean psychological disorders, although it can be quite detremental. Although anger rages are symptoms of many psycological disorders, anger in it self is not enough to diagnose any kind of illness. Just keep a cool...
Reply 4
Chumbaniya
Anger is fine, anger which is completely disproportionate to the provocation is moronic. Getting angry about trivial things can be a problem, and if nothing else a person liable to do so isn't going to be much fun to be around.

:ditto:

Also, it kind of depends on how this anger manifests itself.
Some people have short tempers. If you know them, you should know that and be able to avoid provoking them.

It seems though, that in a lot of these situations, the accused party not only did next to nothing, but the way the anger is taken out is inappropriate. There's a huge difference between anger where one person scolds another for something they did, and anger where someone flies off the hook, hits under the belt (as in...brings up inappropriate and irrelevant things they know will upset the other person) etc.

Anyway, even people with short tempers should learn to control themselves. Nobody wants to be around someone who they have to tiptoe around all the time, and who constantly makes them feel bad for doing/not doing the right things.

While it doesn't necessarily mean someone has a psychological problem if they have a short temper, someone who flies off the hook because their gf doesn't call them for an hour or who is constantly fighting with their gf is not really contributing to a successful relationship. That's probably why people so often encourage break-ups.
Reply 5
Anger is a natural human emotion designed to enhance survival. It is the reason first person shooters were invented.
Reply 6
matt@internet
Whenever someone posts something about their b/f or g/f getting angry with them, people tell them to dump them if they don't control their anger.

Every time anyone posts anything negative about a boyfriend or girlfriend on here, the answer always seems to be "dump them". Or to give them some sort of ultimatum. These people must have great (coercive, short) relationships.

Latest