The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by stemmery
So by your logic, if you're doing a BSc (in any degree) you're doing a STEM subject? :laugh:

Not what I said at all.

I said that a BSc in psychology will generally be more science focussed than a BA in psychology. If you want to study psychology as a science then, generally, a BSc course will be the better option.
Original post by Jakkson
Not what I said at all.

I said that a BSc in psychology will generally be more science focussed than a BA in psychology. If you want to study psychology as a science then, generally, a BSc course will be the better option.

I didn't say that's what you said, I said by your logic, that would mean that all BSc degrees are STEM subjects, are they not? As they are a Bachelor of Science degree? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the S in STEM 'science'?
if you've got an ology you're a scientist
What exactly is your point? You said 'most' which means there are definitely some medical graduates who don't. Therefore, it's what you make of a degree that matters. If you do a degree and can't be bothered to find yourself a job, whether that was a Media degree or a Maths degree, it was useless to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most Psychology graduates have no intention of getting a job in Psychology and will end up working in a department store. Nearly 100% of medical graduates will end up getting a job as a doctor.
Original post by minor bun engine
Most Psychology graduates have no intention of getting a job in Psychology and will end up working in a department store. Nearly 100% of medical graduates will end up getting a job as a doctor.

Yeah I still fail to see why you keep replying. MOST is the key word right here. MOST don't go into Psychology but follow another career path that their degree could have gotten them, a graduate scheme of some sort etc. MOST medical graduates get a job within the medical profession but there are SOME who don't. What is so difficult to understand about that?

I still stand by my statement, it's what you do with your degree rather than what degree it is. You're so hung up on Medicine, you can't really compare a vocational course to a non-vocational course. Try it like this, a Physics degree is a great degree to have, sure, but if you get that degree and do absolutely nothing with it, then it was a waste. A media degree seems like a lesser degree to have (based on the views of TSR) but if someone gets a good job from it then it was a good degree to do.
Not mickey mouse... (Terrible term - what even is mickey mouse? Most degree's have their own strengths).

Its a brilliant degree to have if you're in education for the long run. Perhaps I could say one of the best; as it is such a brilliant foundation as it is so broad, and will allow access into practically any other course if you decide psychology isn't for you.

Also has direct access to very good jobs in the psychology field itself, albeit ridiculously competitive. Suppose like law in that sense: clinical psychology PsyD vs. Law training.

On the other hand if you do only a degree, then it isn't the best - as it doesn't lead directly into professional jobs. But is very handy for management. But then again, there are perhaps more useful degree's to go into management. So it would depend on extra curricular.
Original post by hellodave5

On the other hand if you do only a degree, then it isn't the best - as it doesn't lead directly into professional jobs.

So only vocational undergrad degrees are worth having because they lead to professional jobs? And any academic degrees you have to top up with Masters etc? Great logic :rolleyes:
Reply 47
I didn't say that's what you said, I said by your logic, that would mean that all BSc degrees are STEM subjects, are they not? As they are a Bachelor of Science degree? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the S in STEM 'science'?

Being a BSc does not necessarily mean the subject you're studying it in is a STEM subject - or at least is considered as one, seeing as there are no real definitions.

My point about the BSc vs BA was for the OP, if one is concerned about their subject being a 'mickey mouse' degree then taking a BSc in said subject may be a better option for them than a BA, because it's a bachelor of science degree and therefore is more likely to be considered a STEM subject and therefore more likely to not be considered a 'mickey mouse' degree.

I say 'more likely' as the definitions of what constitutes a STEM subject or a 'mickey mouse' degree are subjective, so there is no definitive answer to "is psychology a mickey mouse degree?", but we can find common criteria and use these to advise the OP.
Yeah I still fail to see why you keep replying. MOST is the key word right here. MOST don't go into Psychology but follow another career path that their degree could have gotten them, a graduate scheme of some sort etc. MOST medical graduates get a job within the medical profession but there are SOME who don't. What is so difficult to understand about that?

I still stand by my statement, it's what you do with your degree rather than what degree it is. You're so hung up on Medicine, you can't really compare a vocational course to a non-vocational course. Try it like this, a Physics degree is a great degree to have, sure, but if you get that degree and do absolutely nothing with it, then it was a waste. A media degree seems like a lesser degree to have (based on the views of TSR) but if someone gets a good job from it then it was a good degree to do.

Right so the fact that the majority of psychology students are ditzy girls who study it with little future ambitions, makes it, on the whole, a soft and non-rigorous degree.
Original post by minor bun engine
Right so the fact that the majority of psychology students are ditzy girls who study it with little future ambitions, makes it, on the whole, a soft and non-rigorous degree.

'ditzy girls'
Proof pls.
'ditzy girls'
Proof pls.

Lettuce be reality now.
Original post by KittyAnneR
I know right? Haha. If these people really think their nurses and midwives are learning how to care for people and save people's lives through 'mickey mouse courses', you have to laugh really. Silly morons

Silly indeed, besides would they want someone who is saving their lives to have done an easy uni course,of course not so why anyone would assume it was easy I don't know
No it's not. :nope:
Compared to chemistry, maths, further maths, physics and biology it is very mickey mouse actually

Posted from TSR Mobile
So only vocational undergrad degrees are worth having because they lead to professional jobs? And any academic degrees you have to top up with Masters etc? Great logic :rolleyes:

Well with a psychology degree without good work experience you aren't going to get a good job. Same with other academic degrees, but perhaps moreso with psychology as so many subscribe to it.
Original post by hellodave5
Well with a psychology degree without good work experience you aren't going to get a good job. Same with other academic degrees, but perhaps moreso with psychology as so many subscribe to it.

Are you like a master recruiter or something? Hahaha can't even humour you anymore.
Original post by no pain gain
Compared to chemistry, maths, further maths, physics and biology it is very mickey mouse actually

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why is there a need to 'compare' courses? It's not even comparable for a start. Have you studied all of those degrees you mentioned?
Why is there a need to 'compare' courses? It's not even comparable for a start. Have you studied all of those degrees you mentioned?

Yes, you can compare the difficulty :yes:

I only have the a levels in maths and sciences but i havent done psychology

But i seen the psychology exam papers and they seem easy :yes:

It is only logical to think that at degree level it will be the same
Posted from TSR Mobile
So many idiots on TSR. I can't take it today haha.
So many idiots on TSR. I can't take it today haha.

Nope :hand:

You just butthurt that you chose a mickey mouse subject

Awwh, sweetheart. :jumphug:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending