The Student Room Group

'broke' boyfriend

I recently paid for a holiday for myself and my boyfriend to go on next month and he knew beforehand that he would have to pay his half as that's fair. His share is just over £200.
He said to me when I had booked it that he was short on money this month in which I said fair enough, pay me the rest either next payday or after the holiday because I genuinely thought he was struggling for money.
I woke up today to find he had bet (and lost, but that doesn't matter) £80 on the fight last night. If someone was short of money I doubt they would spend £80 on a bet, £20ish maybe.
It just feels like i've been lied to in a way, especially as I paid for the holiday when i'm not exactly well off either. Feels like a bit of a slap in the face if i'm honest and feels like this holiday isn't regarded as a big deal for him..
Am I right to be annoyed? What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Review your spending habits and ask your boyfriend to do the same.
Not gonna lie that would make me angry! You're right!
I suspect he placed that bet in the hope he could pay off his holiday. Sadly, only proving that gambling is a mug's game.

You are totally right to be annoyed. If taking financial risks like this is not a one off to him, I would be starting to reconsider the relationship.
At first I thought you'd had some sex-related disaster.

Sounds like a dick move on your boyfriend's part. FeelingDepressed has a point, but if your bf is the kind of person who seeks to pay for things by gambling his money then he really has to take a look at his view on finances.

Tell him if he was having to gamble his money to pay for the holiday then he should have just come to you first and talked to you about it. Better for that £80 to have ended up in your pocket (even if the other £120 is delayed) than for it to end up in the bookie's.
Reply 5
Original post by TurboCretin
At first I thought you'd had some sex-related disaster.

Sounds like a dick move on your boyfriend's part. FeelingDepressed has a point, but if your bf is the kind of person who seeks to pay for things by gambling his money then he really has to take a look at his view on finances.

Tell him if he was having to gamble his money to pay for the holiday then he should have just come to you first and talked to you about it. Better for that £80 to have ended up in your pocket (even if the other £120 is delayed) than for it to end up in the bookie's.

Yeah thats my logic exactly. £80 would leave like £40 unpaid which I probably wouldn't have been too worried about him paying. I don't think he gambled to pay for the holiday, he gambles a lot, especially betting on horses etc, drives me mad tbf.

Original post by shawn_o1
Review your spending habits and ask your boyfriend to do the same.

The money came out of savings, my spending habits aren't that bad :P Idk how he would take if I asked him that :/
Reply 6
Mind you, if he'd won the bet you'd have been in clover now..

More seriously, he's a tosser. No sex on holiday for him or, better still, take someone else.
Reply 7
Maybe he was trying to win the money for the holiday, but agree that if he was struggling he shouldn't have bet a large sum which could have helped out in paying of the holiday. Your right to be annoyed.
Reply 8
Original post by Zarek
Mind you, if he'd won the bet you'd have been in clover now..

More seriously, he's a tosser. No sex on holiday for him or, better still, take someone else.

His name is on the plane ticket haha, I'll have to take some random with the same name hahaha
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah thats my logic exactly. £80 would leave like £40 unpaid which I probably wouldn't have been too worried about him paying. I don't think he gambled to pay for the holiday, he gambles a lot, especially betting on horses etc, drives me mad tbf.

The money came out of savings, my spending habits aren't that bad :P Idk how he would take if I asked him that :/

He gambles a lot, and yet you paid for the whole holiday in the hopes he'd pay you back?

The fact he gambles a lot shows you exactly how he is like with his money.

Do you think he's addicted? If he gambled £80 when he owed you more than that and couldn't pay you, it seems possible he has a problem.

It's easy to look at this and conclude he just doesn't prioritise you as highly as he should, but even if he didn't have a holiday to pay for it'd be questionable to gamble that much money when he's broke.
You're in a relationship with this guy, so you somehow see a future with him. Someone who annoys you with his irresponsible gambling and lack of respect for you. This will keep happening.

Shouldn't be such a demand to go on holiday with your boyfriend. If it was me personality, I'd probably pay for the whole thing.
Original post by Shellshocker93
You're in a relationship with this guy, so you somehow see a future with him. Someone who annoys you with his irresponsible gambling and lack of respect for you. This will keep happening.

oof! i kinda feel bad for the bf now you wrecked him so hard.

^what this guy said
Original post by Smilin’ Knight
oof! i kinda feel bad for the bf now you wrecked him so hard.

This is that standard situation I hear CONSTANTLY. "He is doing this wrong, he is doing that".

If the benefits are outweighed by the negatives, remove yourself from the situation, we only live once, why suffer in the 21st century in a 1st world country?
I can only assume this guy has got a giant member or something :banana2:
I recently paid for a holiday for myself and my boyfriend to go on next month and he knew beforehand that he would have to pay his half as that's fair. His share is just over £200.
He said to me when I had booked it that he was short on money this month in which I said fair enough, pay me the rest either next payday or after the holiday because I genuinely thought he was struggling for money.
I woke up today to find he had bet (and lost, but that doesn't matter) £80 on the fight last night. If someone was short of money I doubt they would spend £80 on a bet, £20ish maybe.
It just feels like i've been lied to in a way, especially as I paid for the holiday when i'm not exactly well off either. Feels like a bit of a slap in the face if i'm honest and feels like this holiday isn't regarded as a big deal for him..
Am I right to be annoyed? What should I do?
If a gambler loses hes annoyed with himself for putting on the bet

If he wins hes annoyed he didnt put on more

Gamblers can never be happy and neither can you whilst you remain his other half. Simples.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
If a gambler loses hes annoyed with himself for putting on the bet

If he wins hes annoyed he didnt put on more

Gamblers can never be happy and neither can you whilst you remain his other half. Simples.

True facts right here.
Original post by SophieSmall
True facts right here.
Hey Soph

you heading to the tsr meetup?
Hey Soph

you heading to the tsr meetup?

Nah, it's in London (naturally :rolleyes: ) no way I'm trekking down there, expensive as hell and I really do not like being in London.
Original post by SophieSmall
Nah, it's in London (naturally :rolleyes: ) no way I'm trekking down there, expensive as hell and I really do not like being in London.

ah well...if im around liverpool il give yeh a buzz
ah well...if im around liverpool il give yeh a buzz

Okey :3 have fun at the meetup

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending