The Student Room Group

Choosing your A-levels? Your questions answered here! MKII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamierogers1
Yeah, it also offers Computer Science and ICT, do you know the differences between the three?

Uh, I think that ICT focuses more on using the software in a computer, while both computer science and computing look at how to make the software, so probably programming. Out of computing and computer science, I think that computer science focuses more on mathematical concepts.

Maybe just check with a teacher at school to make sure, though.
Original post by Anonymous00
Which subjects?
My college only allowed me to take 3 subjects
In my first year I did biology, chemistry and maths and got UED
I re-took that year with the same subjects and got BBA
This year I'm predicted AA*A*
I've applied to 4 biomedical degrees and 1 medical degree and anyone who doesn't get the grades or experience to do medicine directly takes the biomedical science degree route of 3 years and apply for medicine as a graduate so that's my plan B
the same ones as her sister who got the same grades and did get in.

Like maths and chemistry and biology of whatever.

The point is they base it a lot on you
New update lol...

Will these A levels be ok:

Maths
English Lit
Philosophy and ethics
Theatre studies (probably the one I will drop)

Just wanna know how good they are and what they can lead to,
Thanks
Reply 203
Hi there,
I've applied to do LLB Law and got conditional offer from the Coventry Uni.
There're one offer which I'd just like to clarify what they mean before I contact them.
" Provide complete transcripts of A-Level with confirming grades 300 tariff points."
What does this mean 1 or 2 A-levels?
Thanks

Free Thinker Above & Beyond.
Thinking of english lit, history, politics and philosophy. Any good for russell group ect? thanks
That will be good for law. All very strong a levels minus politics, but yes overall very good
I'm currently in year 11 and not sure what career path I would like to follow and therefore neither the subjects I would like to take at a-level. I will definitely do biology and maths (maybe further maths, I'm not sure) but I'm not sure whether to do chemistry or physics for my third option, and philosophy or psychology as my fourth.
I would like to keep my options open career-wise, however I'm not sure where philosophy would take me, or what I would do with psychology?
Any advice would be appreciated! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 207
basically y'all
best tip
don't do it if you don't need it
Hi, I want to study law at university and I'm having kind of a hard time picking my fourth a level. I know they don't require any subjects specifically but do prefer fascillitating subjects which is why I'm set on doing Maths, English and French. I don't know if my fourth should be media studies which I really enjoy (but I hear unis don't like) or biology or history. I just don't want my choice to affect my chance of getting into a russel group uni. Thanks in advance.
Original post by silver_sloth
Hi, I want to study law at university and I'm having kind of a hard time picking my fourth a level. I know they don't require any subjects specifically but do prefer fascillitating subjects which is why I'm set on doing Maths, English and French. I don't know if my fourth should be media studies which I really enjoy (but I hear unis don't like) or biology or history. I just don't want my choice to affect my chance of getting into a russel group uni. Thanks in advance.

It depends on what type of university you want to go to. If you want to go to a Russel group university then I would discourage taking media studies as it is viewed as 'soft' compared to biology or history.
Original post by Big Gibb
It depends on what type of university you want to go to. If you want to go to a Russel group university then I would discourage taking media studies as it is viewed as 'soft' compared to biology or history.

Would taking media really have that big of an impact if it's taken in conjunction with 3 facilitating subjects? I also plan on doing the EPQ.
Original post by silver_sloth
Would taking media really have that big of an impact if it's taken in conjunction with 3 facilitating subjects? I also plan on doing the EPQ.

I'm not totally sure and that's what I was thinking - whether media studies as a fourth a level would make any difference to a more 'core' a level.
Hi I have picked maths further maths physics and biology but at my interview they might ask me to drop one but I don't know which aghh
Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and deciding on which A-Levels I want to take. I'm pretty certain on taking Maths, Further Maths and Physics but I'm unsure on a fourth option, I was thinking Psychology but I've been told if I want to get into a Russel Group university I should take a more 'core' subject. So now I'm thinking either Chemistry, Economics or Philosophy.
I'm open to more suggestions if they would work well with my 3 choices, such as ICT or Computer Science, but I didn't take any subjects similar to these at GCSE so I'm not sure if I would struggle with it at A-Level.
Any advice would be much appreciated!
is their any coursework for edexcel AS level psycholoy?
I'm looking to do Maths, Further Maths and Physics to A2 but I want an additional AS, which other subjects are the most mathematical with the least essay work?

what do u want to do at uni pal
and chemistry is hard but will keep doors open and will be the perfect combo with ur subjects if not economics altho its mainly essay based will give u a breather from total maths as i do chemistry further maths maths eco and like chemistry has been about 50%maths and 20% problem solving so far and eco is interesting and quite different
Original post by youreanutter
what do u want to do at uni pal
and chemistry is hard but will keep doors open and will be the perfect combo with ur subjects if not economics altho its mainly essay based will give u a breather from total maths as i do chemistry further maths maths eco and like chemistry has been about 50%maths and 20% problem solving so far and eco is interesting and quite different

I've changed my mind recently, decided that I either want to go into Financial or Medical degree so I'm doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry and need to decide between FM and Physics for AS
I need to choose my a levels and I have chosen English literature, biology, psychology and business studies. I have no idea what I want to do at university so I chose a variety of subjects. I really wanted to do English language but I got told that it's really tough and that it isnt similar to the gcse English language. But yeah, hopefully i made the right choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zxynab1505
I need to choose my a levels and I have chosen English literature, biology, psychology and business studies. I have no idea what I want to do at university so I chose a variety of subjects. I really wanted to do English language but I got told that it's really tough and that it isnt similar to the gcse English language. But yeah, hopefully i made the right choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Biology seems to be a very hard A-level (lots of memorising stuff!), so, considering you wouldn't be able to pursue a science degree without a 2nd maths/science subject, is it worth taking? And if you really like biology, why not consider chemistry? Just a suggestion.
I've changed my mind recently, decided that I either want to go into Financial or Medical degree so I'm doing Maths, Biology and Chemistry and need to decide between FM and Physics for AS

hmm medicine i would onlyadvise if u are 100% determined to doit as its soooo stressful and competitive u cant be 50/50 to succeed u shud try make ur mind up asap as medicine takes over ur life hence why i opted out and changed bio to further maths
if u wanna do medicine do physics but if not u decide as medicalschools see double maths as one a level

Quick Reply

Latest