The Student Room Group

arcsin(x) or sin​⁻¹(x)?

Poll

arcsin(x) or sin​⁻¹(x)?

Which notation do you prefer,

arcsinx arcsin x or sin1x sin^{-1} x ?

I used sin1x sin^{-1} x until I learnt about arcsinx arcsin x in Year 12 and thought for half a year how superior I was over the sin1x sin^{-1} x peasants.. But then I realised how much time I save by using sin1x sin^{-1} x , so I've since reverted.

Your stories?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
definitely arcsin(x)!
Depends on what the question wants.
Reply 3
Original post by ThatGuyRik
Depends on what the question wants.

I've never seen a question that says give your answer using arc-notation
Original post by Omghacklol
I've never seen a question that says give your answer using arc-notation

What i mean to say was if the question wanted me to rearrange arcsin to .... or if i had to find the value X.

They both mean the same thing anyway so either can be used makes absolutely no difference.

But seems more neater than
Reply 5
Original post by ThatGuyRik
What i mean to say was if the question wanted me to rearrange arcsin to .... or if i had to find the value X.

They both mean the same thing anyway so either can be used makes absolutely no difference.

But seems more neater than

Fair enough, beauty is subjective

I used sin1x sin^{-1} x until I learnt about arcsinx arcsin x in Year 12 and thought for half a year how superior I was over the sin1x sin^{-1} x peasants.. But then I realised how much time I save by using sin1x sin^{-1} x , so I've since reverted.

Your stories?

arcsin\text{arcsin}, because it doesn't contradict the sin2(x)=(sin(x))2\sin^2(x) = (\sin(x))^2 notation. sin1(x)\sin^{-1}(x) should for consistency be 1sin(x)\dfrac{1}{\sin(x)}.

Your stories?

You're back!!

Original post by Smaug123
arcsin\text{arcsin}, because it doesn't contradict the sin2(x)=(sin(x))2\sin^2(x) = (\sin(x))^2 notation. sin1(x)\sin^{-1}(x) should for consistency be 1sin(x)\dfrac{1}{\sin(x)}.

This sums it up well
I always use sin-1(x) because it's quicker, easier and what it says on calculators.
Original post by Gaiaphage
I always use sin-1(x) because it's quicker, easier and what it says on calculators.

But my calculator gives me maths error for 1\sqrt{-1}, should I define i=maths error?

Seriously though, sin1(x)sin^{-1}(x) is not easier to write than arcsin(x).
Reply 10
Cos' arcsin funk gon give it to you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rayquaza17
But my calculator gives me maths error for 1\sqrt{-1}, should I define i=maths error?

I think you need a better calculator then, mine gives the answer as i...
In my opinion it is, as -1 is only two small straight lines and arc is three letters, but fair enough if you feel arcsin is easier it's perfectly acceptable too.

It's the same as writing y' instead of dy/dx, when something is used a lot mathematicians tend to find a quicker way of doing it.
I'd use sin1x\sin^{-1}x if there's no confusion, but if there was any possibility thereof, I'd opt for "asin", rather than "arcsin".
What about asin(x)asin(x)? :frown:
Original post by simonli2575
What about asin(x)asin(x)? :frown:

Too ambiguous imo, I'd just think aa was a constant
Original post by Gaiaphage
I think you need a better calculator then, mine gives the answer as i...
In my opinion it is, as -1 is only two small straight lines and arc is three letters, but fair enough if you feel arcsin is easier it's perfectly acceptable too.

It's the same as writing y' instead of dy/dx, when something is used a lot mathematicians tend to find a quicker way of doing it.

I'm using the standard one that most people use for exams. (Except mine's in pink :tongue:).

I'm glad someone came up with writing partial derivatives like ux=xu(x,t)\displaystyle u_x=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}u(x,t). Although last week we were using uξu_\xi and that was an absolute nightmare to write down.
I'm using the standard one that most people use for exams. (Except mine's in pink :tongue:).

I'm glad someone came up with writing partial derivatives like ux=xu(x,t)\displaystyle u_x=\frac{\partial }{\partial x}u(x,t). Although last week we were using uξu_\xi and that was an absolute nightmare to write down.

I bet it's the pink that's causing it then :tongue:

get a ti 84 or a fx991es should sort that problem with i for you :biggrin:
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard

I have a Ti-Nspire CX CAS m8. :wink:
That and the fx991es are on the prohibited calculators list though at my uni, so I can't use them in exams. :frown:
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard

I have the fx991es, it's incredible! Not prohibited by any exam board or any uni I've heard of so good enough for me

Quick Reply

Latest